Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]

Author Topic: Community vs. Players: Community Thread  (Read 30057 times)

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
Re: Community vs. Players: Community Thread
« Reply #345 on: May 26, 2014, 09:18:58 am »

Guys, we also need to make up a life story, so the nice PC doesn't get suspicious.
Shadow's NPC's don't look like the backstory type.
Precisely.

"I come from an honorable family of exposition goblins. I'm a bit of a failure in their eyes though because I need to learn things conventionally instead of instantly knowing the answer to any question asked as soon as I'm asked it."
Add more feels.
How about mentioning that we were exiled for lacking the Gift, and had to turn to thievery for a bit, but now that we've found these adventurers we have a chance to regain our honor?
+1.

ttlovepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 26, 2014, 03:00:50 pm »

Guys, we also need to make up a life story, so the nice PC doesn't get suspicious.
Shadow's NPC's don't look like the backstory type.
Precisely.

"I come from an honorable family of exposition goblins. I'm a bit of a failure in their eyes though because I need to learn things conventionally instead of instantly knowing the answer to any question asked as soon as I'm asked it."
Add more feels.
How about mentioning that we were exiled for lacking the Gift, and had to turn to thievery for a bit, but now that we've found these adventurers we have a chance to regain our honor?
+1.
+1 But only say this if they ask, if not, don't mention anything.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 03:11:55 pm by ttlovepie »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 27, 2014, 09:07:29 pm »

The nice adventurer says,
Quote from: nice adventurer
"Thank you...come to think of it, I haven't even asked your name, servant. That kind of bad."
Rikrin and Dak both tell her their names, and ask hers in return.

The merchant suggests taking a nap before continuing.

New Mechanic Discovered: resting to regain energy!

Spoiler: Resting (click to show/hide)

Do you want to take a rest, and if so, for how long?

Spoiler: current statuses (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 06:21:16 pm by ShadowHammer »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 27, 2014, 09:57:58 pm »

First, let me calculate something: Would it be better to take a single 30-minute rest, or ten 3-minute ones?
The former would give us, on average, 5.5-8+mEP=0.5 mEP.
The latter would give us 10(1.5)=15 mEP.

...Wait...extended rests give less EP for all known characters than short rests. Like, one extended rest gives us about a 50% chance of not gaining any, while the other gives us about a 50% chance of gaining two, which is more than an average half-hour rest. What the heck?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ttlovepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 27, 2014, 10:47:54 pm »

We don't really need to rest since we didn't use any EP, so we shouldn't rest.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 28, 2014, 06:22:51 pm »

...Wait...extended rests give less EP for all known characters than short rests. Like, one extended rest gives us about a 50% chance of not gaining any, while the other gives us about a 50% chance of gaining two, which is more than an average half-hour rest. What the heck?

:-[ Oops. Fixed that.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 28, 2014, 09:19:41 pm »

So.

10 3-minute rests would be 15 EP.
A 30-minute rest would be 5.5+0.5(mEP) EP.
Unless your mEP is greater than 9, it's probably better to take a bunch of short rests. Still a bit off.

Have you considered a flat rate? Something like 10% of your EP each 5 minutes of resting?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 28, 2014, 10:12:09 pm »

So.

10 3-minute rests would be 15 EP.
A 30-minute rest would be 5.5+0.5(mEP) EP.
Unless your mEP is greater than 9, it's probably better to take a bunch of short rests. Still a bit off.

Have you considered a flat rate? Something like 10% of your EP each 5 minutes of resting?
...I should really think these things through a bit better before I post them. A flat rate sounds like a good idea, I think 10% every 5 minutes would be reasonable. I was also thinking 1d(1/2mEP) per 15 minutes might work, but that has an additional advantage and disadvantage: it's more random, which is good, but also more complex, which is bad...

I'll put it to a vote: who is in favour of 10% every 5 minutes, and who would prefer 1d(1/2mEP) every 15? The former is slightly faster, but in a game like this one, with abstracted time, the 10 minutes shouldn't be a big difference.

Thanks for pointing this out, GWG.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 28, 2014, 10:45:47 pm »

You're welcome!

The latter would be more convenient for cases where the maximum EP is not divisible by ten. Which is pretty much everyone. So, let's go for that.
Sig

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 28, 2014, 11:44:14 pm »

random one
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]