Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 46

Author Topic: Launch the Mobile Suit!! - The Gravity Front  (Read 60716 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Launch the Mobile Suit!! - Need Testers
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2014, 02:35:45 pm »

If you do this again at some point since this is just a test, I might suggest using the version of the timeline from The Origin. In The Origin, there a was a retcon to make the history of mobile suit development feel less rushed, resulting in the Guntank and Guncannon having been built and mass produced years before the One Year War, and being made outdated at the start of the war by the introduction of the Zakus.

And the prototype RX-78 actually has a competant test pilot in it but got trashed when he breached the reactor of one of the Zakus breaking into Side 7 and blew a hole in the side of the colony.  <--that last line's not very relevant, but I just find it cool :P
Hm, maybe. If I were to do this again, I'd start it out proper like, with Feds in Balls and spaceships. This game is the most fun I've had writing and setting up and rolling for, its fun as hell digging through wikis and doing assloads of research to make things as perfect as possible. :3

And that's fucking awesome.

The fact that beam weapons can cause MS reactors to go critical seems like it should be a much bigger deal than it is. Does that mean that Feds have to consciously avoid hitting MS reactors when they fight? That just seems nuts.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:37:20 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2014, 02:38:26 pm »

As a note, I've never seen Gundam, and only have the most basic ideas of what it is from peripheral exposure.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2014, 02:44:24 pm »

I think the franchise is a little inconsistent on how big the explosion is based on my memory. Though the issue did get some attention since the explosions are the reason why in F91 and Crossbone Gundam they went back to using mass driver weapons since so much of the action took place in the space colonies.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:46:15 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2014, 02:58:13 pm »

As a note, I've never seen Gundam, and only have the most basic ideas of what it is from peripheral exposure.
Yeah, I've been assuming you're all unfamiliar except USEC and Furtuka. Ask me anything you like though I'd love to explain. Love explaining stuff.

I think the franchise is a little inconsistent on how big the explosion is based on my memory. Though the issue did get some attention since the explosions are the reason why in F91 and Crossbone Gundam they went back to using mass driver weapons since so much of the action took place in the space colonies.
Isn't there a big thing in F91 where the Fed have a new beam weapon that doesn't cook off reactors?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2014, 03:03:17 pm »

I'm not sure, I haven't actually gotten to watch F91 yet but I don't remember hearing about that. I know the VSBR was designed with different modes so that it could penetrate beam shields. *shrug*
It's FEF, not FEOF

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2014, 03:06:51 pm »

I'm not sure, I haven't actually gotten to watch F91 yet but I don't remember hearing about that. I know the VSBR was designed with different modes so that it could penetrate beam shields. *shrug*
Yeah me neither. In UC I've only completed Mobile Suit Gundam and 08th MST, and I'm working on Z right now. I really, really want to watch Stardust Memory, War in the Pocket, and I'd like to finish IGLOO.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2014, 03:08:42 pm »

I'm still kinda confused as to the size of the suits, because the part of my brain that's constantly designing stuff like this for realistic Sci-Fi worlds says that they should be just a little bigger than the people in them to be at all reasonable but then 280cm Bazookas make my brain hurt, besides the part where it hurts anyway because it's just so...inefficient. Just pile on armor to something on treads that's low to the ground, give it the bazooka, and while it can't fly, it will be a shitton tougher than a similarly massed Gundam, I would think.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2014, 03:11:50 pm »

Continue shooting at Harry. If anyone attacks my allies, attack them instead.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2014, 03:12:00 pm »

Yeah me neither. In UC I've only completed Mobile Suit Gundam and 08th MST, and I'm working on Z right now. I really, really want to watch Stardust Memory, War in the Pocket, and I'd like to finish IGLOO.

Heh, you're actually a bit ahead of me then. In UC I've seen Unicorn, 08th MS (I actually still need to watch the last two episodes of it since I co-watch it with my cousin and a friend from minnesota), and parts of 0079 I've watched to fill in some of the blanks from reading the original novel trilogy a long time ago.

I'm still kinda confused as to the size of the suits, because the part of my brain that's constantly designing stuff like this for realistic Sci-Fi worlds says that they should be just a little bigger than the people in them to be at all reasonable but then 280cm Bazookas make my brain hurt, besides the part where it hurts anyway because it's just so...inefficient. Just pile on armor to something on treads that's low to the ground, give it the bazooka, and while it can't fly, it will be a shitton tougher than a similarly massed Gundam, I would think.

Well the actual Gundams being made from Gundarium factors into that a little. There's also that beam weapons can pretty much punch though most armor resulting in everything's designs getting slimmed down come Zeta Gundam, and minovsky particles frack up the targeting sensors and precise measurements needed for long range heavy artillery to be accurate. There is stuff like the Guntanks, the Guntank variants, and the Hildolfr out there. But they kinda suck since other mobile suits wind up out maneuvering them and they can't handle close range combat, and in the Hildolfr's case it can keep up with mobile suits, but in exchange it wound up badly unbalanced and risked keeling itself over when in mobile suit mode whenever it fired its cannon. The Xamel worked out pretty well as far as I know though. But in the end it is mainly up to Rule of Cool like USEC said in the past.

Though if you really want a realism headache, look up how much the Mobile Suits from Gundam Wing weigh :P
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:45:33 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2014, 03:23:24 pm »

Take evasive maneuvers and return fire on the Zaku attacking.

Yeah, I've been assuming you're all unfamiliar except USEC and Furtuka. Ask me anything you like though I'd love to explain. Love explaining stuff.

((I honestly know very little about Gundam, sadly. Most of what I've picked up about it comes from SRW 3 + J, actually. Otherwise... I watched about a quarter of SEED before getting stupidly annoyed at it and stopping.))

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2014, 03:27:21 pm »

I haven't actually watch any Gundam show, and pretty much the only Giant Mech show I used to watch when it was still on was Megas XLR.
I did read a bunch of thing about Gundam on tvtropes, so I have some basic knowledge about the series, I guess.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2014, 04:43:06 pm »

The average Mobile Suits are taller than most large buildings.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2014, 06:08:38 pm »

Giant mechas are just socool tho.

...D'you think this system would work with Eva-type suits?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2014, 06:14:14 pm »

The average Mobile Suits are taller than most large buildings.

More specifically, the average height during the One Year War is about 18 meters

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 06:19:04 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2014, 06:29:17 pm »

^^That's amazing!!

Giant mechas are just socool tho.

...D'you think this system would work with Eva-type suits?
What do you mean by Eva-type? Like just a regular space suit?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 46