Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 46

Author Topic: Launch the Mobile Suit!! - The Gravity Front  (Read 60777 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Launch the Mobile Suit!! - Always in Need of Testers!
« Reply #345 on: April 27, 2014, 05:23:01 pm »

If you're in a melee, do you get a penalty to dodging incoming ranged attacks?

Please?

And what if their MOVs are equal?
Sort of. The slower suit dictates the speed the two fighting suits are moving at through space. There's also a 10% chance you'll hit the unintended target if you miss.

Is that please with regard to the above..?

That's unlikely, so if I ever roll opposing MOVs and they come up equal (hasn't happened yet) I'll probably just reroll.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 27, 2014, 05:35:51 pm »

I thought it meant base move score. Anyway. With the rules as they are now, it means that the Zeon is more likely to hit their allies than their enemies when firing into melee, so there's not really any such thing as an 'intended target'.

Oh wait, I see. The faster suit is slowed down by the slower one. Which is odd, because when I think 'Giant Robots With Swords Fighting', I don't usually think of them as grappling, more like the speeding towards each other with weapons, both people attacking(usually into the other one's weapon), and then them flying apart again, to zoom towards each other once more and repeat the process.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #347 on: April 27, 2014, 06:06:39 pm »

I thought it meant base move score. Anyway. With the rules as they are now, it means that the Zeon is more likely to hit their allies than their enemies when firing into melee, so there's not really any such thing as an 'intended target'.

Oh wait, I see. The faster suit is slowed down by the slower one. Which is odd, because when I think 'Giant Robots With Swords Fighting', I don't usually think of them as grappling, more like the speeding towards each other with weapons, both people attacking(usually into the other one's weapon), and then them flying apart again, to zoom towards each other once more and repeat the process.
What are you talking about? There's only a 10% chance of you hitting the guy you weren't aiming for, and you have to miss first. How does that make Zeon more likely to hit their allies? In this battle, all suits (that means the gundams too) engaged in melee will have MOV2, which is what all the Zeon suits have, which is slower than what the GMs have.

If a faster suit melees a slower one, he has to slow down. Which makes him easier to hit. The GMs are faster than you Zeon, but not if they're in melee. If an RGM is in melee then you've levelled the playing field when it comes to ranged attacks.

Grappling is more practical. It's.. Somewhat common in Gundam? Grappling I mean. There's lots of sword-locking, and some of what you're describing. Melee usually only happens between aces during the show, so they tend to be drawn out, and having them fly at each other is way cooler than having them wrestle for five minutes.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 27, 2014, 06:11:56 pm »

In that case; GUYS STAY OUT OF MELEE OH SHIT
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #349 on: April 27, 2014, 06:16:55 pm »

You also have the most powerful melee weapons. But all melee weapons are already pretty much guaranteed kills anyways. I need to come up with some kind of sword-lock mechanic. Equal hit would make the most sense, but that's too rare to be interesting. Which it would be awesome if two suits were slashing each other for a round or two and hitting each others' weapons before someone got cut in half.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 27, 2014, 06:58:27 pm »

I think it'd get confusing if there was a dogpile with multiple players attacking either dueling mobile suit. Lemme think about it some more. For now, only two players to a melee. That rule will stand until I figure out how a brawl would work.
OK, sounds golden.  I'll replace my previous action, then:

Fire Bazooka at Cromwell

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #351 on: April 27, 2014, 06:59:09 pm »

Cross the original out please in case I forget.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 27, 2014, 07:05:56 pm »

"Get out of there, pilot! Disengage, damnit!"
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 28, 2014, 01:45:50 am »

Seeing the destruction wrought by the new Federation superweapon, Von Strud was in awe for a moment.
"They? They have that?"
Then, he noticed, that moment of awe was a moment too long. The bastard was pointing it at him. Panicking, he made a split second decision.

If he can reasonably move into melee range and get a swing off, or if the pilot has no idea as to whether he can or not.

"FOR ZEON! FOR THE FALLEN! DIE FEDERATION DOG, DIE!"
Firing his jets and screaming like a madman, Von Strud attacked like the cornered rat he was, moving into melee range with Dereth as fast as he could, dropping his weapon and engaging the damn thing in hand to hand combat.

If he cannot get into melee range:

"NO!

Moving like a fly trying to escape the flyswatter of God Himself, Von Strud uses everything he has to get the hell out of there, firing anything and everything he has the time to at Dereth

((How about instead of Melee being a one turn thing, you would give it a sort of advantage system, where you would compare rolls, and whomever wins gets a bonus to the next roll, then if they win that one, it's another bonus. And then to hurt the actual mech, you need to break a certain threshold, which is made easier by the bonuses you got earlier. Then, as long as you didn't just cleave it in two, they lose an arm or something so they can disengage or whatever.))

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #354 on: April 28, 2014, 01:55:57 am »

((How about instead of Melee being a one turn thing, you would give it a sort of advantage system, where you would compare rolls, and whomever wins gets a bonus to the next roll, then if they win that one, it's another bonus. And then to hurt the actual mech, you need to break a certain threshold, which is made easier by the bonuses you got earlier. Then, as long as you didn't just cleave it in two, they lose an arm or something so they can disengage or whatever.))
It doesn't last one turn..? It lasts until someone gets away or someone dies, which can be any number of turns depending on the rolls.

I still like the advantage system idea you've got. Sorta simulates the momentum of the fight.. Can you write an example to give me a better idea of how that would work numbers wise? This is a prototype game, so don't feel constrained by any existing rules or stats or systems when positing.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 28, 2014, 07:20:41 pm »

Forgot to reapply!

Waitlister Pilot Name: Marco Blue
It's FEF, not FEOF

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #356 on: April 28, 2014, 07:22:23 pm »

Oooh. Good name. Preferred side?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 28, 2014, 07:23:33 pm »

SIEG ZEON
It's FEF, not FEOF

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #358 on: April 28, 2014, 07:25:40 pm »

SIEG ZEON
SIEG ZEON

I have KJ and Furtuka on the Reinforcement list right now. I feel like I'm missing someone.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 28, 2014, 07:38:42 pm »

Did I miss something with the avatars?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 46