Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: Time for bets. New release date?  (Read 29116 times)

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Time for bets. New release date?
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2014, 04:07:01 pm »

The last devblog post wasn't as encouraging as I'd hoped for.  It almost sounded more like general "issues" being fixed, which were supposed to have been finished a month ago or so.  I really wish we could get some indication of how much progress had been made on the grand total bug pile.   :(

Fix one bug. Twelve more show up.  :-X

Exactly.

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2014, 05:38:42 pm »

most people's forts are shorter term in their entirety than the difference in time between now and release, probably
Considering forts last a few years generally, that is a very foreboding statement.

If we take this at face value, all of us should do our part to speed up development by embarking on terrifying glaciers from now until release.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2014, 06:14:31 pm »

If we take this at face value, all of us should do our part to speed up development by embarking on terrifying glaciers from now until release.

Why glaciers?  Terrifying, scorching badlands with high cliffs, no streams, aquifers, or sub-surface lakes.  Oh, and no picks, either.  That'll surely get things moving along!  XD
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2014, 06:58:15 pm »

most people's forts are shorter term in their entirety than the difference in time between now and release, probably
Considering forts last a few years generally, that is a very foreboding statement.

"shorter than," not "as long as" 
Making them even shorter still doesn't change the face value logic or necessitate an earlier release date, even if the statement is taken as absolutely true (whereas if it was "as long as," or "longer than," then making the fort shorter would also make the release faster, at face value) ;)
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2014, 08:38:06 pm »

Maybe it won't be released at all? Maybe toady will be killed and we no get release cause he no release cause he killed and that means no release meaning he killed thus no release cause he says if they think he be killed he no release.

It probably won't happen but I'm just a pessimist. :P
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 24, 2014, 08:43:37 pm »

Nah, if Toady dies he'll just come back and haunt the forums. Then, one day, he'll spew forth the finished game as other ghosts spew ectoplasm.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 24, 2014, 09:04:19 pm »

Toady has gone on record as saying that if he does with no suspicion of foul play (and only in that situation) he will release the source code.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2014, 09:37:00 pm »

Toady has gone on record as saying that if he does with no suspicion of foul play (and only in that situation) he will release the source code.

Do you have any idea what happens when an abandoned game goes open source?

Vibrators become part of the official continuation, that's what.

...I'm having a very disturbing dwarven mental image right now.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 06:10:16 am by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Irist GuruNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2014, 01:32:01 pm »

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess June 4th...why not :P

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2014, 07:27:17 pm »

Tonight

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2014, 08:03:16 pm »

protacted dev log silence makes me excited.. but realistically no way its tonight
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Conor891

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2014, 12:13:41 am »

I've been checking the dev log almost every day for almost 2 years. I have a feeling when that release message goes up, I will actually die of some shock to the heart of brain related illness. It will feel like a long, drawn out devastating war being over where I can finally live peacefully like I've always been wanting to my whole life but couldn't.

Pooky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2014, 06:38:47 am »

I've been checking the dev log almost every day for almost 2 years. I have a feeling when that release message goes up, I will actually die of some shock to the heart of brain related illness. It will feel like a long, drawn out devastating war being over where I can finally live peacefully like I've always been wanting to my whole life but couldn't.

This! I've try warning my relatives of the impending devastation it will cause to my social life. But I don't think they get the scope of it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2014, 07:50:35 am »

protacted dev log silence makes me excited.. but realistically no way its tonight

Yeah, that issues list is only going to get shorter.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 28, 2014, 08:50:20 am »

This! I've try warning my relatives of the impending devastation it will cause to my social life. But I don't think they get the scope of it.

Yea...this.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14