Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wanted: Love Doctor - Apply Inside  (Read 2970 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Wanted: Love Doctor - Apply Inside
« on: March 21, 2014, 11:50:48 pm »

Alright, guys. I need help marrying two particular dwarves. You see, my fiancé is quite taken with my (our?) dwarves, and her two favorites are Mr. Beard (Axe Lord) and Ginger (Chief Medical Dwarf). While they have been lovers for some time, I am told that it is quite past time they should be married as they are getting on in age. Unfortunately I have a 360 dwarf fort at present, and it is unlikely that they will spend much time together to chat due to the sheer vastness of the fort.

Children are also a priority!

How can I force or help along a marriage? I really don't care what I need to do to make this happen. I am open to anything from traditional methods, hacking, anything whatsoever. Whatever gets that ring on.

How do we make this happen?

---UPDATES---

STEP ONE
Both dwarves were locked in a 2x2 room, and the room was designated as a meeting area. Without this, no progress was made. Food and drink was successfully dropped via a ceiling port, and they were married after approximately seven months in the love chamber.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

STEP TWO
We need to get these guys to have some kids. How can we speed this up? Some dwarves have had two kids in the space that these guys have had none. Is age a factor?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:19:27 pm by dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Love Doctor - Apply Inside
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 12:11:02 am »

Lock them in a 2x2 room and drop down food and booze from above.

Do other things while you wait. It may take a while
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

vicwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 03:30:55 am »

Lock them into a room untill they decide to marry, remember dwarves need alchool and food to survive, also if they stay for too long in the room drop clothes in to make sure they remain sane.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 05:44:31 am »

Lock them into a room untill they decide to marry, remember dwarves need alchool and food to survive, also if they stay for too long in the room drop clothes in to make sure they remain sane.
Well, with all that booze they have been drinking, it is only expected for them to drop their clothes.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 07:00:39 am »

I suggest you don't drop stuff into the room while the dwarfs are inside. Falling objects are a great way to kill your lovebirds. Since dwarven skulls are built backwards, a falling strand of spider silk can kill them.

Since they're already lovers, one season of forced company, two at most, should be enough to get them married. I wouldn't expect problems with clothes. To handle their physical needs, a small quantum stockpile (dump on top of a stockpile square) with food and drink should be enough if you don't want the micromanagement of overseeing their progress and letting them out when they're hungry/thirsty.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 07:06:08 am »

Lock them in a 2x2 room and drop down food and booze from above.

Do other things while you wait. It may take a while
Just like the way the medieval people did!
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 08:48:57 am »

Locking them up shouldn't be necessary. Build a 2x2 room, add two statues and designate each as a statue garden. Assign the statue gardens to your chosen dwarves and they will voluntarily idle in the tiny room together, while still taking care of their own needs. Then just limit their other responsibilities so they'll have plenty of idle time and wait.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 11:30:36 am »

Dwarfs with multiple locations for idling will oscillate between them - they'll spend time hanging around in the common meeting hall and in separate bedrooms. They'll also often spend weeks standing just outside the shared room, probably because their partner was standing in the spot they were pathing to. In addition, they'll take "anybody" jobs like bring item to depot, harvest plant and pasture animal. Locking them in cuts a lot of that crap.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 12:15:53 pm »

Operation Lovebeard commencing!

I am having trouble getting them into their room. I am using burrows and assigning them to it. Any reason they would be ignoring burrow restrictions? Mr. Beard is Captain of the Guard (Squad inacative, no orders), should he be temporarily removed from duty?
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 04:46:46 pm »

Did you also set the burrow to an alert? That may help.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 05:03:16 pm »

Dwarfs with multiple locations for idling will oscillate between them - they'll spend time hanging around in the common meeting hall and in separate bedrooms.

Hmmm... according to the wiki, they prefer their own private rooms over communal areas. I haven't tested it, but it seems to mesh with what I recall of my dwarves' behavior.

I am having trouble getting them into their room. I am using burrows and assigning them to it. Any reason they would be ignoring burrow restrictions?

Burrows don't work like that. A burrow *only* restricts which jobs a dwarf can take. If there are no jobs in the burrow, then the dwarf may continue to wander around outside the burrow. Build two levers in the room, set the profiles to your desired dwarves, and order them pulled on repeat.

(A civilian alert *would* confine them to the burrow--along with all your other civilian dwarves. I suppose you could draft everyone else into the military, then use a civilian alert, but building a couple levers is certainly easier.)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 05:48:27 pm »

Build two levers in the room, set the profiles to your desired dwarves, and order them pulled on repeat.

Brilliant! Update Pending.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 08:03:35 pm »

Build two levers in the room, set the profiles to your desired dwarves, and order them pulled on repeat.

Brilliant! Update Pending.
Make sure you lock them up after. If they're still pulling the levers, they won't chat. Also, it would be beneficial if you designated said room as a statue garden, perhaps after you lock them in. I'm pretty sure that the dwarves won't actually converse unless the room where they're idling is actually considered a "room" of sorts, and a statue garden counts. So does a meeting hall of any type (dining table, well, or otherwise)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 11:51:20 pm »

In DF, shipping is serious business.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 08:00:29 am »

No kidding. lol
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: [1] 2 3