Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Necromancers, Shadows, and Octopi (Suggestion Game)  (Read 11307 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancers, Shadows, and Octopi (Suggestion Game)
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2014, 09:59:18 pm »

Since I have nothing better to do:

After we buy stuff,

Find one of them, convince them to follow without any explanation, find the other, do the same, take them to the sacrificial glade, explain to them what we plan on doing, in as positive a note as possible, animate dat skeleton, calm them down if they get frantic or anything. Have them go and grab their stuff, tell them to meet us back in the glade, hide a ways away from the clearing, just in case, also have the skeleton hide also.

When they get back/if they do, and they are alone, approach and ADVENTURE TIME!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2014, 02:57:43 pm »

I got caught up on wanting to post an update a day and didn't think that prompt through. There wasn't really anything you could buy that you couldn't have just stolen the previous turn. You have enough money to buy one minor thing, if you can think of something that wasn't worth the risk of suspicion.

Wait, I just realized, the GM said that they will come with regardless of what we do, so why would we need to think of a way for us to inform them that we are a necromancer?
We might not have to to get them to come along, but that doesn't mean there might not be advantages or opportunities for characterisation in specific approaches.
Pretty much this. Alex still mostly has a blank slate personality, and his friends are complete blank slates. And even if they'll be with you regardless (barring stupidity like ordering them to kill their families to prove their loyalties), they might get extra morale here.

What qualifies as a skeleton? How might can it be carved, modified, and things attached to it? Does exoskeletons or cartilage count? How complete must it be?
Bones from a once living creature. Exoskeletons count.
You may attempt modifications. It would be somewhat more difficult to animate if each bone was dunked in molten metal first, and the maintenance costs would probably go up from the increased weight.
Cartilage mostly doesn't count, but could be used when Alex is more experienced.
Completeness doesn't really matter, and bones from different bodies may be mixed. A one-armed skeleton won't be as effective, but you won't miss much without a skull or minus a few ribs. I'm not giving partial upkeep costs for limited skeletons unless you're making a new "spell" for one-armed skeletons.
If you really wanted, Alex should eventually be able to animate a 'skeleton' of stone carved like bones, or just make a full-out mana construct, but it wouldn't be nearly as efficient as bone. (Unless you're just <REDACTED FOR NOT GIVING PLAYERS IDEAS>, which would work great, in that particular role.)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2014, 03:44:47 pm »

Let's buy a compass or a kit with a compass, that seems rather important.

I'm thinking that Alex has a mischievous personality with a tendency to get really really really hyper. I see him as the kind of person who would seduce somebody, let it get as far as the bed and point out his "poker" before absconding with the poor sexuality confused guy's clothing and possessions, cackling maniacally, and maybe showing up again later to mess with the guy again.

I also see him as a reasonable villain: "Sure necromancy is evil, but with this bone typing press, all your peasants could own a book!" And "I only want the corpses you aren't using, I would be quite happy to provide cheap labor for you if you let me." Or "I'm not going to kill you Mr. Artificer! That would be mean! I just want you to help me work on this idea I have, it's called a 'Computer'.

Basically minimal killing (only those that attack first, and then only if no way to restrain them) and a generally productive member of society. Science? Yes please. He may not be sure where these concepts come from, but he tries to build them anyways.

If a cleric tries killing us, if we can subdue them, do so, make sure they have enough food and water to get back to town, maybe give them an apology letter for injuring then (with lots of hearts and the closest thing to glitter we can find), and try to make anyone trying to kill us due to magical racism question if it is morally right to do that.

And above all, BE ADORABLE.

Edit: friend wise, make up personalities as we go, you have to have some idea of how you want them to turn out.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 04:55:24 pm by Kevak »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2014, 07:59:44 pm »

Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2014, 08:19:52 pm »

But Kevak, where are we going to get 54 kittens and a barrel of glue!
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2014, 08:21:22 pm »

By setting off a Catsplosion in a fortress and asking the dwarves politely for glue in exchange for taking their cats.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2014, 09:21:06 pm »

Oooooh, SO many crazy overpowered things that could be done. Basically the focus here is on "animate", and the "skeleton" part is sort of just a material that happens to be especially conductive to it?

You mentioned creating partial upkeep spells... what'd a spell that could only animate really small and highly processed things, maybe with some special requirement like being carved from a single bone or specific patterns carved into it, take? For example those stamps, a self-steering arrows, a lock with no keyhole that only a necromancer can command to unlock, tiny watching skulls that trigger mechanisms when they observe something specific... tons of things that only need the informational properties and a tiny bit of motion, not any actual size or strength or mobility.

Also, we should take up bone carving with that knife.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2014, 09:32:47 pm »

My god.

PTW
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2014, 09:42:19 pm »

I'm quite glad that Alex ended up being voted a trap, we haven't had a trap necromancer game on Bay12 for years.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2014, 10:38:35 pm »

If you really wanted, Alex should eventually be able to animate a 'skeleton' of stone carved like bones, or just make a full-out mana construct, but it wouldn't be nearly as efficient as bone. (Unless you're just <REDACTED FOR NOT GIVING PLAYERS IDEAS>, which would work great, in that particular role.)
Binding souls? Flesh golems? Bringing forth shadow creatures of pure shadiness?

For example those stamps, a self-steering arrows, a lock with no keyhole that only a necromancer can command to unlock, tiny watching skulls that trigger mechanisms when they observe something specific...
The necromantic printing press, soul locks and Servo-skulls are all on the list of Stuff To Be Done.
Especially Servo-skulls, because
above all, BE ADORABLE.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2014, 11:44:00 pm »

PTW

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2014, 02:33:58 pm »

PTW.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2014, 02:47:59 pm »

and try to make anyone trying to kill us due to magical racism question if it is morally right to do that.
The clerics feel that it is morally right to do whatever the god talking to them and giving them magic and safeguarding their souls after death is telling them to do.

[Needless cruelty and thievery]

I'm not sure we have the same ideas about 'adorable.'

Oooooh, SO many crazy overpowered things that could be done.
All I'll say to this is that I'm slightly disappointed that nobody mentioned bringing over knowledge of creating electricity from a DIY hand-crank, or anything similar.

Basically the focus here is on "animate", and the "skeleton" part is sort of just a material that happens to be especially conductive to it?
Pretty much.

You mentioned creating partial upkeep spells... what'd a spell that could only animate really small and highly processed things, maybe with some special requirement like being carved from a single bone or specific patterns carved into it, take?
Dedicate time to experimenting! (later)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2014, 03:15:47 pm »

I mean be adorable in addition to the making people question their sexualities and being a fairly reasonable necromancer in terms of behavior. (Since we could theoretically kill people for shits and giggles and reanimate them.) Why kill people? Why not use necromancy for people's benefit? Happy peeps are better then angry peeps.

(I was under the impression that we didn't have knowledge of electricity, do we have memories of our past life? And if so, what grade of memories?)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2014, 03:22:34 pm »

(I was under the impression that we didn't have knowledge of electricity, do we have memories of our past life? And if so, what grade of memories?)
I referenced his old life once or twice. Alex generally remembers common knowledge (US), but not always perfectly. Most of his personal knowledge is blurry or missing. He remembers Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10