Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Necromancers, Shadows, and Octopi (Suggestion Game)  (Read 11312 times)

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancers, Shadows, and Octopi (Suggestion Game)
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2014, 06:55:44 pm »

I'll write up an appearance:

Extremely long rainbow hair down to knees, rainbow eyes from the dislocation (cause why the hell not? Lets be the first rainbowtastic necromancer.), feminine bone structure and appearance, but otherwise male., I could't care less what the clothing is, so lets say we were wearing a black robe for LARPing or cosplay or something, maybe it has a shitton of pockets with random doodads.

We shall be the Necromantic Rainbow Trap!

First name could be Alex (gender neutral name), I don't care about the last name.
+9001
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2014, 07:29:26 pm »

Our character should have an extremely mischievous personality also, to the point of deliberately messing with people's heads in respect to the gender of our character and playing with their emotions.

Also he should be able to break the fourth wall, simply because it would be amusing.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2014, 08:05:32 pm »

The protagonist will have no fourth wall breaking capabilities.

Update may be delayed a bit.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2014, 08:22:16 pm »

+1 the totally insane rainbow dash necromancer.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2014, 09:07:45 pm »

Would we get killed if we seduced an Archcleric by pretending we were female and then informed them that we were male?

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2014, 10:56:55 pm »

... I would imagine that would depend on how well we did it.

Also, while I find the idea of a rainbow coloured "mischievous" trap with 4th-wall breaking capabilities to scream SUE! SUUUUUEEEEE!, I do find it hard to resist the idea of a robe with many, many pockets... Throw in pants and a hat and I'll go with it.

Also also, I guess Alex is acceptable. Funnily enough, it would not be the first time I have played an ambigously-gendered character named Alex...
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2014, 11:14:07 pm »

When was the last time you played as one? Story maybe?

And sure, the pants must have MOAR pockets though and the hat must be a fedora with pockets sewn on the inside and outside.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2014, 11:39:30 pm »

And sure, the pants must have MOAR pockets though
I figured that went without saying.

and the hat must be a fedora with pockets sewn on the inside and outside.
We were wearing a black robe when we got grabbed. That the hat should be a wizard hat seems self-evident. Pockets on the inside work.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2014, 11:49:03 pm »

Sure, but we should endeavor at one point for the hat to gain hammerspace.

And we can use the backstory of "we were LARPing" to explain away the robe and hat at the start.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:57:05 pm by Kevak »

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2014, 01:18:26 am »

Sure, but we should endeavor at one point for the hat to gain hammerspace.
Certainly.

And we can use the backstory of "we were LARPing" to explain away the robe and hat at the start.
We're a dimensionally-displaced Bay12er. We don't need to "explain away" wearing a robe and hat. We could have been taking a nap at home after doing some gardening and I would consider it legit.
Anyway, the "and reincarnated" bit of a "dimensionally displaced and reincarnated Bay 12er with a spotty memory" suggests what we were wearing when it happened probably wouldn't have mattered.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2014, 01:56:52 am »

True.

But remember, this is a Bay12er, weird shit that happens to us is always weirder then how it is for other people if they have it.

So therefore if dimensional dislocation happens to us, it will be have to behave weirdly in comparison to other dimensional dislocations.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:20:35 am by Kevak »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2014, 08:49:38 pm »

A shade, alone in a void, for untold time. It waits, barely aware of its experiences melting away.

It notices a small white fluffball of a cat, and everything shifts blue. It ponders its lack of vision, and this sense that is not sight. It notices the thoughts, and likens it to being jarred awake. It notes its lack of name (Self, now). Self knows it has been chosen for something, and that it now has a chance to retain its dissipating memories. Self tries to keep what it can, but it's like holding a large ball of Jello together.

Alex sat behind a shop counter, trying to practice his meditation exercises. His excitement for that evening made it difficult. Four weeks ago, he had been hiking through the woods when he discovered a small hidden cave with a dying stag. He'd warily paused outside the entrance, but heard nothing.

His cautious investigations didn't help to find the cause of death, just an apparently healthy corpse, but a small crater-like hole in the floor held a book bound in black leather. Another glance around the single-room cave revealed that nobody else had been there recently. He went back outside and leaned against a nearby tree to think.

Books were rare in his new world. Not as rare as Medieval books from his first life, but only a small handful of people in his town had even one. He wanted it. Perhaps he would find a buyer, and get out of a lifetime of manning a shop in Cow's Hoof. Twelve years on a farm, then he'd finally shown he had a "head for figures" and got an apprenticeship with a shop for the last six years. It was better, but he'd needed out. He'd needed that book. He ran back into the cave, grabbed the book, ignored the small shock he as he picked it up, and moved back outside.

After ensuring he was alone, he'd looked at it more closely. It'd had a plain cover, and looked new. He had nearly dropped his treasure when he'd opened it. It was a book on necromancy. He would be killed if it was found. Giddy at the prospect of learning magic, he'd silently vowed that it wouldn't get found.

The door closed, jarring him out of his musings. "Afternoon, Mrs. Harris, you're early this week. Is something wrong?" Alex liked Mrs. Harris. She was slightly overbearing, but made divine bread, and tended to send some for him.

She gave a tight smile before responding, "Gerald knocked a pan of grease into the flour barrel, and didn't see fit to tell me. Would you ..?"

He inwardly groaned a bit. It was almost time to close the store, and this would delay his plans. "Of course." She handed him a few coins, which he shifted under the counter before taking a canvas sack of flour from the wall to his right and putting it over his shoulder. She followed him outside, to the shed behind the store, where he transferred the sack to the wheelbarrow waiting inside.

Half an hour later, she had a full flour barrel, the wheelbarrow was returned to the shed, and he was one muffin richer. He took a deep breath after returning to the empty store. His necromancy book, written to entice the magically untrained, had many exercises for learning the basics of magic. He had spent the past month on these, and preparing the dead stag as the book directed (surprisingly, it was easier to remove everything and magically bind the bones together than it was to use the existing body. Magic was strange). The book warned that the first necromancy spell sometimes had physical effects on the casters appearance, and that clerics could often sense when someone had recently cast a necromantic spell.

He wouldn't be returning. He was tired of the town, but this was his last chance to be safe. Alex had decided early that even a year with magic was worth more than twenty manning a store in a backwater town, but now that it was time to act, he felt like procrastinating. He took another deep breath, and moved to make his final preparations.

It was unthinkable that he would steal from the store. He could - he suppressed a twinge of guilt, the owner could afford it, and was rude anyway - take anything he could get away carrying. It mostly had food, but it had some rope, various tools, and a few useless trinkets. If he only took a few coins and a few meals, it likely wouldn't be noticed. If he got greedy, they might send out search parties.

Having spent 18 years here, he, naturally, has some friends. Unless he decides for secrecy, he will bring Lyssa, who is quite talented at tracking and a natural trapper, and Tammy, who is a dead shot with a crossbow and a skilled negotiator. He trusts both with his life. He has six lesser friends, who have less certain loyalties, to decide on: A brawler, a swordsman, a carpenter, a farmer, a hunter, and a cheese maker. He could pick out one who would at least stick with him past animating the stag, or take as many as he wants. The more he takes, the more likely someone will be to back out and set the Justicars chasing them, and the more desperately the townspeople will search for their missing youth.

((You are not limited to the listed skills. If you wish to try gaining a new one, dedicate time to it.
You rolled an 8 on a 2d5 for overal stats, which are out of 10. Most are obvious. Wisdom doubles as perception. Karma is like luck, but more malleable.
You'll need to practice architecture and military logistics to get much out of them, but they'll get to level 1 fairly quickly, even without a teacher or book. I'm assuming modern metallurgy uses electronic sensors and computers and doesn't really have much of any carry-over with medieval smelting tech.
You may summon a spirit, but actually binding one is a shadow spell.
You may increase the rate mana recovers through dedicated action.))
Spoiler: Alex (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)

((I was going to mention this when choosing a patron god: They're akin to roguelike gods, in that you may pray to help out of a tight spot. The more elaborate the prayer, the easier it will be for your god to help [Simple prayer < Lengthy ritual < Lengthy ritual on ground sacred to the god, like a church]. It's a good idea to go longer between prayers, and better still to advance your god's agenda between prayers. Trying to have multiple patron gods, or switching, are considered to be fairly bad ideas.))

Choose how much to take from the shop, and how many friends to bring. Or take the path of a true Bay 12er and procrastinate.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2014, 09:28:57 pm »

Take as much as we can also, we should Summon a skeleton and ask them all to join us. If they refuse, kill them can't have them knowing what we are doing.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2014, 09:34:41 pm »

-1 to taking everything, we need to be secretive.
We can't just "summon" a skeleton, we need the bones prepared, we can only animate.
-1 to taking everybody, as well.

Take only Lyssa and Tammy. For now, at least. Scout out the forest to find a secure and secretive place, but don't just pack up and leave yet.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2014, 09:41:50 pm »

Convince our best friend(s) to come along, take enough for a few meals and a small amount of coin.

Edit: Modern Metallurgy is more of knowing alloys and types of metal then controlling the equipment, modern metallurgy also involves knowing how to run an efficient factory floor for creation of metal alloys, regardless of tools available. Steel for example is technically a category of alloys numbering in the thousands, different steel alloys are good for different things, some for building large heavy structures, some are good for nails and would fail if used for large structures, some are better for small strong objects (like weapons), it varies, Modern Metallurgy would involve knowledge of alloys, their uses, and how to make new ones, in this it could manifest as a sorta intuition when it comes to making alloys for things.

Modern metallurgy also would include knowledge of more exotic metals, such as beryllium (metal derived from Emerald and rocks emerald can grow on) (lighter then aluminum, stronger then steel, doesn't show up on radar, main component in gyroscopes for nuclear missiles, extremely good bike frames, stealth bombers, functional buster swords (like that massive one that Cloud has in FF). Beryllium is also really really rare, only one spot on earth (a part of Utah) has it in a quantity that it is economically efficient to mine, it also exists in two other spots on the planet, however emeralds are the only things mined there since the metal is too low in quantity to mine efficiently.

(I decided to write down mah knowledges of modern metallurgy)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:24:49 pm by Kevak »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10