Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Necromancers, Shadows, and Octopi (Suggestion Game)  (Read 11288 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancers, Shadows, and Octopi (Suggestion Game)
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 10:14:41 pm »

Okay, now I am actually going to shower.

And we can sew on a beard later on, we are a necromancer people.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 10:56:43 pm »

Why would we want to become a lich? The disadvantages heavily outweight the advantages.
Except possibly losing the sense of smell, that's pretty important when living in close proximity to a fortress full of undead.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 11:03:44 pm »

I guess some level of knowledge of architecture, particularly as it pertains to fortress construction, acquired in anticipation of the day DF Gets Physics-al.
Knowledge of anatomy, acquired for modding more realistic creatures?
A basic grasp on wilderness survival, particularly what plants are edible or otherwise useful, acquired for modding adventure mode.

I'm torn between Bone and Shadow, but I guess Bone will do.

+1 to architecture, but also let us have Knowledge of military Tactics (Tsun Tzu style) and metellurgy. Also, Bonemancer.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 11:16:41 pm »

Somebody should probably find data on metallurgy.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 01:35:26 pm »

ptw

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2014, 03:51:55 pm »

Why would we want to become a lich? The disadvantages heavily outweight the advantages.
Except possibly losing the sense of smell, that's pretty important when living in close proximity to a fortress full of undead.
What are the disadvantages you speak of?
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 04:23:58 pm »

If we die, our soul is gone if we are a lich. We may have regen if they don't kill the soul, but if we are actually killed, then game over.
If we used blood magic to become immortal, we would have a chance at coming back since the soul would still be around.

And we would look terrible. And we would need to spend magic to keep ourselves functional 24/7 rather then once and a while.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:35:43 pm by Kevak »

aattss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 04:37:06 pm »

If we die, our soul is gone if we are a lich, we may have regen if they don't kill the soul, but if we are actually killed, then game over.
If we used blood magic to become immortal, we would have a chance at coming back since the soul would still be around.

And we would look terrible. And we would need to spend magic to keep ourselves functional 24/7 rather then once and a while.

Err... I was under the impression that the lich would put his soul in an object and then put it somewhere else, so he wouldn't die unless the thing with his soul also died. And you could put your soul in the middle of a fortress or in another dimension or in the bottom of the ocean or something. Also, one body isn't that expensive to maintain if we're going to be controlling legions of the undead.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 04:41:16 pm »

But we would be maintaining a body that all the magic is flowing through in order to maintain the legions of undead, so we would need to hold the body together, it would take lots of energy.

And by having our soul in a physical form, any person with a hammer could break it if they get close enough.

We can hide it sure, but what if something finds it? I don't think it is ever a good thing to let that happen.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2014, 04:57:37 pm »

What is we aren't powerful enough to survive attacks and get killed?
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 05:00:23 pm »

Then being a lich would still be a bad move, they could disable us and hunt for the object.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2014, 05:03:16 pm »

I view liches more as the body being remotely controlled. The magic maintaining everything would be flowing through the phylactery, not the lich body.
The character will not be stupid enough to put his soul in an object unless he can also magically fortify it. Still a weak point, though, as even a 'standard' cleric could break it down with enough time, and an archcleric could destroy it on the spot.
If you really wanted, you could make 'living' zombies, with supernatural beauty. A lich would be able to do the same for their own body.

If you have no more phylactery after going lich-form, it is indeed game over, with no chance of Kaowe reviving you.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2014, 05:08:19 pm »

So we can cross the lichbridge or bloodbridge when we get to the point that we want to choose, and we can sew on a beard later depending on the choice.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2014, 06:30:54 pm »

Looks like we're getting memories of modern metallurgy, architecture, and military logistics. Our first spells will be bone.

I wasn't planning on an appearance vote, but I'll allow it if it's done before I start writing the turn (either later tonight or tomorrow morning). Name too, or I'll use my good friend Seventh Sanctum again and probably get more "Grand Fair Octupus" and "Kaowe" fun. It's not too late to change the skill choices.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2014, 06:51:02 pm »

I'll write up an appearance:

Extremely long rainbow hair down to knees, rainbow eyes from the dislocation (cause why the hell not? Lets be the first rainbowtastic necromancer.), feminine bone structure and appearance, but otherwise male., I could't care less what the clothing is, so lets say we were wearing a black robe for LARPing or cosplay or something, maybe it has a shitton of pockets with random doodads.

We shall be the Necromantic Rainbow Trap!

First name could be Alex (gender neutral name), I don't care about the last name.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:54:38 pm by Kevak »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10