Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Enchanters of a Shrouded River Delta [Sluggish...]  (Read 3519 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Enchanters of a Shrouded River Delta [Sluggish...]
« on: March 21, 2014, 05:13:43 pm »

Original Thread

Spoiler: Original OP (click to show/hide)

Several months ago, a cabal of mighty wizards opened a portal to another world, allowing five thousand souls to pass through and start colonizing another world. Through hard work and determination, the colonists have managed to establish what is almost a home, but their trials are far from over.

Enchanter Signup Sheet
While the player roster is currently full, there is still a waitlist in case it proves not full enough. Enchanters are specialized, more powerful wizards brought along to help the colony.
Code: [Select]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Description:[/b]
[b]Specialization:[/b] Usually a fairly broad school of magic. See current players for examples.
[b]Hobby:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b] Up to two positive traits, at least one negative trait. This may or may not have effects, as I see fit.
[b]Assistant:[/b] You start with an assistant to help you.

Antagonist Signup Sheet
No room left for a normal player? Never fear! This game has room for antagonists as well.

To join as an antagonist, PM me your interest and an enchanter sheet. Since you will not actually be an enchanter, you may take liberties with this sheet; it's for inspiration, and thus not as concrete as a normal signup. You may also mention specifics or make requests in your submission, but what exactly you'll get will be a mystery.

Antagonists will have a quicktopic to post and read turns in. They will not necessarily be on the same side, and may even be opposed. They will tend towards being antagonistic towards the normal players and the colony, but this is not an ironclad guarantee. Antagonists will have somewhat concrete goals but are free to change their minds within reason, similar to normal players.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 08:47:35 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Players
IronyOwl's Edna Black, the Mutationist
Fniff's Zedas Piek, the Thanaturge
Tiruin's "Ari" Eloam, the Artificer
Draignean's Gordon Neider, the Geomancer
Lenglon's Unen the Entropist

Waitlist
darkpaladin's Rick "Splosions" Dawis, the Explosionist

Antagonists
?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:11:19 pm by IronyOwl »
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Current Colony Status

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Military Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resource Access (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Player Buildings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:59:14 pm by IronyOwl »

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile

Name: Rick "Splosions" Dawis
Description: A average sized young man wearing green clothing. His hair and eyes are brown in color.
Specialization: Explosives.
Hobby: Blowing things up.
Personality: Psychopatic and brave, but easily bored.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Reserved.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~

Is this still going?
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Turn 1: Huzzah

Edna couldn't stop smiling. It wasn't the brightest star in the sky, but her living colony was off the ground and very enthusiastic. This island was as good as hers, really.

Elsewhere, of course, things were more mixed. The zeppelin had sustained yet more damage, cementing the notion that she was probably going to have to be the one to build an airdock at some point. The terramancer had completed the docks on the mainland, but there was no progress colonyside, and attempts at building ships had resulted only in unadulterated rage, so she might have to handle those two personally as well.

And of course, all of this was just the bare, practical essentials. Nevermind all of the things she needed to do that didn't directly involve this new colony, like completing her half-finished project, expanding her influence, investigating all the bizarre occurrences lately...

Truly, it was a curse to be so blessed with talent. Or talent and ambition, at least.

First things first, make sure whatever chewed its way in got out again before we return home. We don't need containment failures unless they're from cages I assumed would be sufficient.

Find a good spot for some docks on the island and grow some, hopefully out of a saltwater-tolerant variant of my house-trees.
Make an intelligent living saltwater-tolerant covered housetree barge. Ideally, it should be able to communicate with nonmagical, nonsleeping captains (in a limited fashion is fine; beeps or whistles, levers, etc would all be acceptable), and use a modified form of the house-trees' magical burst ability to echolocate. Otherwise I'm fairly open to how much the vessel operates or maintains itself; being able to operate with no human interaction whatsoever would be excellent, anything else on down to being a living hull that still needs manual rigging and ropes and sails and so on would be understandable.

[3] Edna does a good once-over, concludes that whatever gnawed its way in here probably left again, and calls it a day.

[5][5] ((I would like to assure my loyal players that this has nothing to do with the fact that I'm now in control, and that I have clearly not gone mad with power as some soon to be dealt with traitors may assert.)) Edna finds the perfect spot for some docks, a sheltered cove dug into the islandside. She then grows a sturdy cage of saltwater-friendly housetrees around it, resulting in a leafy wiffle ball of Telvanni shelter and convenience.

[1] The boat doesn't go as smoothly. She attempts to grow it from an offshoot of her docks, which results in a massive tumor and little else. Oh, and the tumor is also sentient and unhappy.

Continue to bloody expand the bloody housing.

Also, send Milly over to help Ari with the ship building. She's not much of a hand at physical labor, but a few good divinations at the right time could make things a lot more efficient.

[2+1] The stone proves insolent this month, and you only get another 100 houses made.

[6] Milly proves a bit bossy, but she certainly provides aid.

"Ah-...hum. I'll..I'll get to them. They're all in a safe place..and-..."

They're in your head, silly!

"Yep-um, right."

...Search for those designs I made earlier and improvise from them to aid in making a short-range teleporter.
[4] After quickly rummaging through your head for them, you manage to improve the designs to be short-ranged and much quicker. They're still not tested for living things, though.

[4] After some tweaking and testing, you manage to get test plants to survive the journey intact. Animal testing is a bit trickier without any animals to test on, but a volunteer reports that the process feels strange but not too uncomfortable, and further analysis reveals no damage or other side effects.

This system works on a different system than your gradual long-range one, and so will require custom nodes to take effect.

Design: Short-Range Teleportation System
Teleports one object rapidly to a nearby teleportation node at the cost of a baron-month of power per trip. Rated for living things, which report it as slightly uncomfortable.

"Ah-...hum. I'll..I'll get to them. They're all in a safe place..and-..."

They're in your head, silly!

"Yep-um, right."

...Search for those designs I made earlier and improvise from them to aid in making a short-range teleporter.
Aid action, attempt to improve upon them and design a amulet that will auto-teleport the wearer away if an object approaches them at a dangerous velocity, and one that can be manually activated to teleport the wearer to wherever they are looking (does not work with pictures or videos, instead simply putting them in front of the picture/video)
[1] You're glad you tested this on a wooden dummy before moving to living targets. The system fails miserably, detonating the target and ripping some of the pieces vaguely towards where it was supposed to go when activated.

[6] Your other project goes better, but still problematically. Your attempts to replicate a stable node at the aimed spot go poorly, and instead you just end up with a teleportation cannon.

Increase people working on ships massively to finish it within the turn, then try to get people on the finished ships. Well, even semi-unfinished ships, as long as they don't sink.
[4+1] Between you and the bossy lady, work commences on a ship. It's done by the end of the month, and Milly labels it the Misty Eye. It's a large but sleek vessel that should be able to carry ample supplies or people quickly.

[3] Work doesn't go as well the rest of the month, possibly because people are tired. You settle on producing a modest barge, slow but fairly spacious. With Milly already claiming the Misty Eye, you get your chance to properly name this vessel.

((I was going to make this an automatic success, but then I remembered you had a bonus to it from a previous action. It'll succeed either way, just have side effects based on the roll.))

[2+1] You get people shipped off to the island colony, but they feel a bit rushed and awkward about it.

[5] House construction goes magnificently. Even so, the governor gets fed up with the slow pace, and declares every house to have roommates. This downgrades everyone's housing to low quality, but doubles the amount of it.

((Housing now has quality. Quality includes things like construction, location, and especially size.))

Ari's factory builds six more generators, I suppose?

With the colony on the magic flower island completed, everyone has some minor celebrations, pleased at having spread a bit further in this new land. With most people also housed, albeit not especially luxuriously, morale also increases a bit further.

Morale is Good.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Information may be missing or shuffled as I reorganize things. Feel free to ask about things that aren't clear.

Is this still going?
I have usurped the game and established my own glorious thread in tribute to my magnificence.

I'm apparently my character, is basically what I'm trying to say here.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~

Eeeee, message me the... seeccreet antagoniiist boooard

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile

this, seeing as how I signed up.  When does that board open?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Gotta fill out the forms first, Ghosty.

Well, technically you wouldn't necessarily have to, since in theory I could share the board with anyone who wasn't playing or planning on playing. But that might be more prone to springing leaks and regrets and the like.

this, seeing as how I signed up.  When does that board open?
When I've collected and organized a good number of our antagonists. Might be a bit before you can begin your nefarious scheming bitter brainstorming.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
Re: Enchanters of a Shrouded River Delta [New Thread, Positions Available]
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 07:42:45 pm »

Dont you mean mis(ery)tery bringing?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 07:59:52 pm »

-.-
-.-

TRY AGAIN

In other news, I'm going to be in need of a replacement as of the 25th. Unen is actually a pretty straightforward individual, just read my posts in the original thread if you want to be able to keep him in character.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 08:22:45 pm »

-.-
-.-

TRY AGAIN

In other news, I'm going to be in need of a replacement as of the 25th. Unen is actually a pretty straightforward individual, just read my posts in the original thread if you want to be able to keep him in character.
I'd love to replace you in, Lenglon. ;__;

Good luck and God Bless you in your journey. Thanks for being great. :))

((Also yay I made an uncomfortable transportation system! Beats cars anyday!))

-Will post/edit later-

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 09:30:24 pm »

Dont you mean mis(ery)tery bringing?
I'd go with mys(t)ery, but that wouldn't have continued my accidental alliteration.

Ah, that's unfortunate. For good or do you have a return estimate?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 09:36:07 pm »

Ah, that's unfortunate. For good or do you have a return estimate?
Based from a friend of hers which took on the same stuff I believe she's going to take--it's not permanent, just to say first, :P--but about a month or a month and a half before anything on the return.
Yeah I asked Strife.
Lenglon's going to the military. :))
Pages: [1] 2 3