Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any good newbie guides?  (Read 806 times)

scionkirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any good newbie guides?
« on: March 20, 2014, 01:12:05 pm »

I haven't found many newbie guides for adventurer mode, esp compared to fortress mode, but could someone point me in the right direction?  I have a few I know n00b questions.

1) water seems to be a big problem.  I figured out how to drink from a well, but not how to bring water along with me.  The game devolves into waterquest very quickly.  I havent had a problem killing vampires and bands of dingos, but water is killing me.

2) are there any user interface mods?  The content of the world is amazing and fantastic, but damn, the UI is just too clunky.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Any good newbie guides?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 01:27:30 pm »

The only guides I'm aware of is this recent one and the wiki. But I haven't looked around much, so there are probably more floating around.

I can only answer your first question. You can fill bags, waterskins, and other containers with water when next to a river using the interaction menu. Press 'shift' and 'i' to open the item interaction menu, select your container, and it should offer to fill it with water. You can also fill bags with pools of liquids such as blood, though it has to be a pool, not a smear or a spatter. You can also heat up snow at a campfire if you are in a frozen region.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 12:04:25 am »

also, remember, if you have just 1 water in your skin you can drop it on the ground and then fill your waterskin with 3 water from that.  also cut something open and drink the blood that gets smeared on you.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Yaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 12:20:12 am »

I haven't found many newbie guides for adventurer mode, esp compared to fortress mode, but could someone point me in the right direction?  I have a few I know n00b questions.

1) water seems to be a big problem.  I figured out how to drink from a well, but not how to bring water along with me.  The game devolves into waterquest very quickly.  I havent had a problem killing vampires and bands of dingos, but water is killing me.

2) are there any user interface mods?  The content of the world is amazing and fantastic, but damn, the UI is just too clunky.
1) lick yourself after battle
2) tilesets work in both fortress and adventure mode, though no one will be able to help you if you can't post and accept advice with the stock UI... you are doing yourself a disservice by not just learning it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 11:13:03 pm »

2) tilesets work in both fortress and adventure mode, though no one will be able to help you if you can't post and accept advice with the stock UI... you are doing yourself a disservice by not just learning it.
I think he's more referring to the menus.

Fortress mode has DF Hack plugins that add some stuff (like searching in every menu,) but I don't know about anything for Adventure mode UI.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?