Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 40

Author Topic: Webcomics thread  (Read 84402 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Webcomics thread
« Reply #540 on: February 01, 2019, 01:25:45 am »

ava's demon, latest update
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 04, 2019, 12:50:20 pm »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 07, 2019, 12:17:31 am »

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 08, 2019, 05:36:23 am »

This is goin’ somewhere, and wherever thta place might happen to be, it’s probably Gil’s fault.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 09, 2019, 12:23:04 am »

It certainly is going a place.  Fortunately the next page will have simplifying things, soon.

Meanwhile (heh) in Schlock Mercenary, the current story seems to be about one-way mind uploads again.  A concept which has always been fascinating to me.  I saw it explored in two different short stories, a while ago. 

One was a lot like this:  FTL was only practical for minds, so people would be well-payed to send "themselves" off to work on an offworld colony.  Like the earlier "downlifts" in Schlock Mercenary, this often resulted in dissatisfied copies and cheerful "originals".

Another was someone simply copying himself into a simulated reality to test his craftsmanship.  Repeatedly.  Many, many times.  You see, there was a hardwired option for simulated sentients to "opt-out", and for some reason all his clones got pissy and terminated themselves, rather than help.  The story starts after he disables that option.

Anyway I'm excited to see this explored some more.  The war for Earth was one of my favorite storylines.  I like all the extreme-stakes precursor stuff, but it's starting to feel tiring and slow.  This story moves that plot along, but by exploring a very creepy concept on a personal level.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 09, 2019, 12:57:52 pm »

The war for Earth was one of my favorite storylines.  I like all the extreme-stakes precursor stuff, but it's starting to feel tiring and slow.

You know that things are getting real when the arc where the sol system almost got plunged into civil war by a hostile foreign power hacking thousands of people's brains is one of the lower stakes stories. :P

Ah, but I do like the implications of sci-fi universes where there's FTL information travel but not FTL matter travel. And equally I like the implications of a universe where you have FTL matter but not FTL information.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 09, 2019, 01:33:57 pm »

It certainly is going a place.  Fortunately the next page will have simplifying things, soon.

Meanwhile (heh) in Schlock Mercenary, the current story seems to be about one-way mind uploads again.  A concept which has always been fascinating to me.  I saw it explored in two different short stories, a while ago. 

One was a lot like this:  FTL was only practical for minds, so people would be well-payed to send "themselves" off to work on an offworld colony.  Like the earlier "downlifts" in Schlock Mercenary, this often resulted in dissatisfied copies and cheerful "originals".

Another was someone simply copying himself into a simulated reality to test his craftsmanship.  Repeatedly.  Many, many times.  You see, there was a hardwired option for simulated sentients to "opt-out", and for some reason all his clones got pissy and terminated themselves, rather than help.  The story starts after he disables that option.

Anyway I'm excited to see this explored some more.  The war for Earth was one of my favorite storylines.  I like all the extreme-stakes precursor stuff, but it's starting to feel tiring and slow.  This story moves that plot along, but by exploring a very creepy concept on a personal level.

Not sure why the Oafans can't send a copy of one of their own as I thought the Oafans were the ones who wanted to ask questions of the unnamed species inhabiting the worldship. I'd probably also have tried to contact the worldship by hypernode first both to see if they're still alive and to prevent any negative reactions from suddenly showing up.

Incidentially, I'm also not sure what they can get out of them that they can't via hypernode. Sure, it might be out of range of Petey's energy budget, but the fact that it's one way implies that they would be able to get information back. So, either Howard is doing it for the sake of story, or the Oafans have other motives/goals here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 10, 2019, 12:36:13 am »

The Very Dangerous Array has grown up so much (':
https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2019-03-10
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 10, 2019, 09:36:42 am »

Oh yeah, we do still have a specific thread for Schlock Mercenary.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 28, 2019, 04:13:42 pm »

New Ava's Demon update.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 05, 2019, 01:47:38 pm »

I'm pretty late to the party here and I see it got some discussion earlier already, but I started reading Freefall recently.  I burned through about 1100 of the strips over the course of a few days, and I'm surprised by just how much is left to go.  No idea if it's still being updated, or at what point they started making colored versions.

The humor gets a bit formulaic at times, but it's still pretty enjoyable.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 06, 2019, 08:26:32 pm »

It is, in fact, being updated, 3 times a week, every week actually

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 06, 2019, 08:54:41 pm »

Wow, that would certainly explain how there are so many strips already.  The art is simple, but it still seems like that would take a ton of time, so the artist has my respect.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 03, 2019, 09:58:00 am »

Double post, but it's been a month so I think it's fine.  And the discussion of Freefall was ages ago, but that's also fine.

I thought the comic got way more interesting somewhere around the ~1800 or 2000th strip, where Florence went back to Ecosystems Unlimited to try to deal with the robot problem.  I'll avoid major spoilers in the remote but still conceivable chance that someone else here wants to read it one day but hasn't yet, but I thought the way they portrayed Florence as a AI was really thought provoking.  The fact that she has hardwired behavioral limits and can be controlled much like the robots in ways was actually pretty disturbing.  It's occasionally played for laughs, but I think the comic actually does a good job of subtly showing how terrifying that kind of control over a person is, and could conceivably be applied to humans.

On a lighter note, while Sam is kind of one note throughout the first half of the comic, his antics are actually pretty funny during this part of the comic.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 15, 2019, 01:40:30 pm »

It's been another handful of months.

I'm not really big on webcomics. Used to follow a few. Found a new one linked in a Facebook ad of all places.

Home Sweet Home is pretty good. I keep getting this feeling of Tokyo Ghoul meets Parasyte or Deadman Wonderland, but toned down significantly.

Some questionable choices were made, however. The first quarter or so of each update consists of the last several panels of the previous and there is entirely too much dead space.

It's not done yet but updates appear to be very regular.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 40