Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 40

Author Topic: Webcomics thread  (Read 84393 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Webcomics thread
« Reply #480 on: May 06, 2018, 04:15:45 pm »

Y'all ever heard of Business cat? Also, I heard people call Freefall a furry comic, and I don't really get why, is it because it has a humanoid animal as the main protagonist? because that would make both spongebob and the amazing world of gumball furry tv shows
Technically you are correct, but this is a very vague issue. The main flag that Freefall has is that the characters are somewhat decently proportioned. The stick-arms and block-bodies throw off any connection to real beings, so they are television shows about conceptual animals as people rather than depicted animals as people. Then there is the fact that "furry" as an insult is related to uncanny valley applied to sexuality, two of the most irrational-hatred triggering facets of human psychology, and it is immediately apparent that there are no reliable standards on the issue. Everyone will have their own opinion and may or may not compromise that opinion in order to fit in with a mob. So the answer is "Spongebob is a brick with a face on it, who would care about that? Freefall has a dog acting like a human, that is wrong!". Of special note is that Freefall has a squid in a space-suit that I am confident doesn't often get flagged as furry... also the robots...
Or the short answer: All humans are stupid. Everything is stupid until proven otherwise.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 06, 2018, 04:42:48 pm »

Heh, reminds me of reading about this journalist who rocked up at a Furry convention, and was expecting literal Sodom and Gomorrah to be happening, because of the media hype at the time. She got ... a completely normal and unspectacular fan convention, but I guess she was expecting some sort of combined techno party / fursex BDSM orgy.

I'm pretty positive there would be an episode of SVU about furry-sex murders out there somewhere.

*BTW I actually think the furry-hate from other fandoms is a bit toxic: it's playing into the same media narrative that has attacked D&D, Heavy Metal, Punk, Gamers, Comic book fans, anime fans, goths, and pretty much every other subculture since the 1950s. When other "outcast" subcultures jump on the bandwagon to slag off other - actually very similar - subcultures, it's playing into the mainstream establishment's hands in a similar manner to how some "upwardly mobile" black people buy into racist narratives against other blacks. e.g. so anime fans for example ragging on furries is kinda ironic, since the anime fans are trying to create distance between themselves and the furries, yet they themselves are derided as "weeaboos" by pretty much the same people ragging on furries. Then you have other subcultures e.g. hardcore gamers ragging on both "weeaboos" and "furries" while those other subcultures are almost equally degraded by a lot of mainstream media. Using the analogy of racial politics again, it's similar to a posited reason why extremely poor whites are racist against black people - to not be racist against blacks would be to accede that they themselves are on the bottom rung of the social ladder. People at or near the bottom-rung have a vested interest in throwing other people under the bus as more pitiful than themselves. And this is what you see when you have "furries" thrown under the bus by other marginalized subcultures.

** also note: the theory that furries have sex a lot is posited on the concept that a dude who dresses up as Sonic The Hedgehog has sex more often than people who don't dress up as Sonic the Hedgehog. Immediately, it should be clear how fallacious the idea is. BTW I just finished watching every episode of To Love Ru, so i'm now going to go off and bang my harem of Space Babes.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 05:08:13 pm by Reelya »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 06, 2018, 05:09:08 pm »

Of special note is that Freefall has a squid in a space-suit that I am confident doesn't often get flagged as furry... also the robots...
Or the short answer: All humans are stupid. Everything is stupid until proven otherwise.
Well, squid don't have fur, after all.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 06, 2018, 05:10:46 pm »

Slimies doesn't have the same ring to it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 07, 2018, 08:22:11 am »

Does the freefall comic ever show squid-in-a-spacesuit guy's (forget the name offhand) full appearance? I read some of it a while back and the only references to him not being human (besides the occasional odd behavior) is that he mentions his actual appearance causes people to barf (or maybe it's the smell) and at one point pulls up his sleeve to reveal a bundle of fibres or something.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 07, 2018, 08:57:53 am »

Apparently he looks like he exists in more than 3 dimensions, and was certified as existing in only 3

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 10, 2018, 08:58:20 pm »

Some new fodder for the pile:

[un]Divine is a neat character-driven fantasy story, set in a religious school on a fictional island in the Caribbean. Story follows an angsty mess of a guy, and the demon he sold his soul to because school and life have gotten too stressful to handle. It's got cute, it's got intrigue, it's got creepy, and it's got some good good art.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 24, 2018, 02:39:17 pm »

Well, Ava's demon has been plugging along nicely with regular updates, but I feel the need to point out the latest one because... because that happened.
http://www.avasdemon.com/pages.php#2101

my fingernails hurt now D:

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 24, 2018, 02:55:53 pm »

What the hell, any explanation?
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 24, 2018, 03:00:36 pm »

...Well, depends how much you already know? Have you read the comic?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 24, 2018, 03:08:19 pm »

Supernormal Step ended... With one of my most hated thematic elements...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not the greatest comic ever but it was decently entertaining. I think... don't really recall most of it now... and the ending was pretty forgettable so it won't be too lingering of an aftertaste... I'll still think of it as a basically good thing... that was tragically abandoned before it could finish, must have been a meandering slice-of-life...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 24, 2018, 03:14:15 pm »

...Well, depends how much you already know? Have you read the comic?
Yes
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 25, 2018, 12:37:40 am »

Spoiler: Ava's Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 10:28:03 am by Karnewarrior »
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 25, 2018, 12:42:34 am »

I feel like the part outside the spoiler kinda... spoils it?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 25, 2018, 02:55:11 am »

Well if Ava's is getting you down, maybe you could use some absent-minded theatre to lighten the mood...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 40