Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 40

Author Topic: Webcomics thread  (Read 84410 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Webcomics thread
« Reply #465 on: April 05, 2018, 01:57:38 pm »

MSPA has “Dave: Ascend” though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 05, 2018, 07:51:26 pm »

Generally speaking, I really like the narrative-driven comics with a lot of world building

That's why I like ScaryGoRound / Bad Machinery and the related comics. Bobbins was the first one that guy did, and while people have said it didn't grab them like ScaryGoRound / Bad Machinery ... if you read and enjoy those you should definitely go back and read through Bobbins. Bobbins is on of those webcomics where the author started out not really knowing what they were doing (back in 1998, e.g. pretty early days of webcomics), but evolved their own style over the span of the thing. It's also the origin story for the main cast in ScaryGoRound etc.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:55:07 pm by Reelya »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 05, 2018, 11:24:03 pm »

Generally speaking, I really like the narrative-driven comics with a lot of world building (which is what I hope I can accomplish) and the rest don't grab me so much.
Hrmmm. Mansion of E is one of the first things I think of with world-building, but that is most of what it has, and the world is, perhaps, just a touch on the... uhh... flippant? side, and likely won't appeal to everyone. Also the art is not the most refined, and it is light on action anyway, with very few set-pieces, so... I doubt it will appeal, but it is worth a shot. (and the link is to the Dwarf Fortress page, rather than the first, but it gives a look at where the art gets to...)
It's first ten pages have a fourth-wall joke, the "tough woman" thing, a pragmatism joke, and inferences to an eldritch basement. Which is not wrong, but is not the best hook for a comic that spends much of its time discussing alien ecologies. And then the 11th is a reference to a Far Side comic and will likely make little sense if you don't know about the only part of the buffalo they don't use.

What Birds Know is pretty much the opposite of what you described, but if I get to inflict it upon someone, then yay!? Just don't let yourself like any of the characters and you should be fine...

The Din and Stand Still, Stay Silent have very similar introductions, themes, and premises, but very different tones and environments. Both put some effort into their worlds and seem to have an interest in narrative. I expect that S.S.S.S. is more your style though, and seems the vastly more popular work and not without reason...

Outsider looks interesting at first, but seems to be veering into wish-fulfilment and may have a worse update-schedule than Dragon Mango...(Both of which are actually updating as near as I can tell, but you wouldn't get a reading from standard instrumentation...) Speaking of Dragon Mango, it sort of seems to qualify for everything you said, but, ehh, mileage may vary. It has food puns...

Galaxion meanwhile is probably more like what you would hope from Outsider. Not much action, but it more-or-less conveys a story.

Sister Claire has elements of what you describe, but takes a long time to get to them. I, umm, think it is N.S.F.W.? I have a lot of difficulty keeping track of that sort of thing...

I think I'll just drop Nextuus and Vexxarr here undescribed. You have ten or however many pages to decide if its a trap...

Kidd Commander is sorta Lovecraftian superheroes with a dash of magical girl? Probably worth an attempt...

My Life at War, has narrative, extremely mired narrative, but that is somewhat the point. There is also a setting... And it is just fun to link it...

Can you tolerate sprite comics?

Miamaska is another one that might be more setting than narrative, but in a very different way. might be worth a glance but probably isn't what you are looking for.

Posting this because I can. Muwahahahaha! Honestly I have been having trouble getting the site to work so I'm not sure if it is what I think it it.

Back might be worth a shot...

It has been a very long time, but I think that this is a thing that I liked? and sort-of matched your description? possibly?

Meh, Imma drop this too. Never know... And, uhhh, maybe? And then a perhaps? With a why not? And let's take a stab...

Oh, and Atomic Robo is worth a mention...

Then there is this thing which doesn't "look" dead, but isn't updating either...

Well, that's my impersonation of a pinata. Hopefully you can test your "do I want to keep reading" skills on it...

For myself I am useless, my standards are way too low. I read Magical Misfits to the space arc of all things, errrgh... It is basically all the narrative flaws of Schlock Mercenary distilled to glaring obviousness, so it could ruin that for you too by pointing out the seams... So yes, I have no standards, I read until it becomes clear that it has nothing of interest for me, which is pretty quick for purely mundane works, and most extreme wish-fulfilment, but otherwise it'll need to beat me over the head repeatedly with its terribleness and also hang the cliff one to many times for me to realise that the last vestige of curiosity will not be paid off in this lifetime.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 05, 2018, 11:57:21 pm »

What Birds Know is pretty much the opposite of what you described, but if I get to inflict it upon someone, then yay!? Just don't let yourself like any of the characters and you should be fine...

Ooh, birds!

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #469 on: April 05, 2018, 11:58:53 pm »

The Property Of Hate got a few updates recently. A cliffhanger replaced with another cliffhanger.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 06, 2018, 01:41:56 pm »

-snip-

That's a lot of comics! I will check them out!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 06, 2018, 03:39:57 pm »

Remember that you have a goal. One not to procarastinate on new comics, but instead to determine what a good(and bad) bait looks like.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 06, 2018, 03:58:46 pm »

Remember that you have a goal. One not to procarastinate on new comics, but instead to determine what a good(and bad) bait looks like.

Indeed. I'm getting into SSSS right now! (Also I have some hang time before I have access to a tablet, so I'm just going to be reading webcomics for ~3-4 more weeks)

EDIT: There is an aggressive amount of dialogue in SSSS.

EDIT: SSSS finally kicked off properly on page 67.

EDIT: and at page 886. I have successfully binged all of S4 in one day.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 05:32:40 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 09, 2018, 08:52:17 pm »

Drugs and Wires is updating as slowly as ever.
Just as the pieces finally start moving too.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 10, 2018, 12:36:37 am »

EDIT: and at page 886. I have successfully binged all of S4 in one day.
Yes, it is a particularly interesting one for the "should I read this based upon the first ten pages" test. Given that everything in the first ten pages {spoiler} {spoiler} {spoiler} {spoiler}...
Read the First Post!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 10, 2018, 12:08:39 pm »

Ah, the first ten pages are pretty boring or so... Like I said it wasn't until page 67 that the story takes off (for me anyways). Idk, they have some fun foreshadowing, and kind of have some stuff that becomes interesting later on (when the map and family trees got released) but it's not all too relevant to the story at hand.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 02, 2018, 12:05:55 am »

Well the penny's finally dropped in Questionable Content

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 02, 2018, 12:23:46 am »

It was coming. No way it couldn't.
A fake-out might have been exciting for me but I can imagine it would've led to amazing amounts of hate-mail from the majority of the fans.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 06, 2018, 09:23:04 am »

Y'all ever heard of Business cat? Also, I heard people call Freefall a furry comic, and I don't really get why, is it because it has a humanoid animal as the main protagonist? because that would make both spongebob and the amazing world of gumball furry tv shows

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 06, 2018, 09:35:55 am »

Ah, the first ten pages are pretty boring or so... Like I said it wasn't until page 67 that the story takes off (for me anyways). Idk, they have some fun foreshadowing, and kind of have some stuff that becomes interesting later on (when the map and family trees got released) but it's not all too relevant to the story at hand.

It's a rather fantastic section to go back and re-read though after you get introduced to the current suite of characters. Beginnings that you want to go back and read to see if you missed something interesting are fairly rare, and there a lot of fun quirks about the characters that can be seen to have been already brought on by those who came before them.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 40