Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 40

Author Topic: Webcomics thread  (Read 84222 times)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Webcomics thread
« Reply #255 on: July 06, 2016, 06:37:44 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 13, 2016, 02:51:27 am »

I knew there had to be one - found a site (comic rocket) that puts a wrapper around the webcomics and automatically tracks what page I've read up to, and it has an android app too. might start keeping track again now. I'm going to binge some of my faves from the start first.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 03:08:32 am by Reelya »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 15, 2016, 01:19:45 am »

Manly Guys Doing Manly Things is still going really strong, despite the creator having been hit by a car and catching a cold and getting cancer.
Regardless

Is why I love this comic.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 10:02:25 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 15, 2016, 07:15:19 am »

I always though velociraptors would make for great domestic animals/pets. Lays eggs like a chicken, catches vermin like a cat.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 15, 2016, 10:00:27 am »

Yeah I'm surprised I don't have a panel from it on the OP.
Maybe I should collect more, do a gunner-chan.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #260 on: August 15, 2016, 10:32:49 am »

This is actually pretty accurate portrayal of Velociraptor (according to some modern sciencists which honestly could be completly fucking wrong because all we have is bunch of bones), quite small and feathery.
Not saying they wouldn't be capable of fucking your shit up in seconds.

despite the creator having been hit by a car and catching a cold and getting cancer.
I'm not saying this is the case but some artists actually thrive on their live being shit. As in, the worse it gets the more they do. It's a thing.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 15, 2016, 08:41:24 pm »

Neil Gaiman is one of those authors whom I've heard of, but have no idea what they wrote or how they're famous.
Turns out it's American Gods. Huh.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #262 on: August 15, 2016, 08:48:45 pm »

I read two of his books and I actually enjoyed Good Omens but that might be because of Terry Pratchett. Not saying that American Gods were bad, I liked the idea in general but it wasn't something really amazing.
And if I recall right, there were Slavic Gods there, which were basically equaled to Slavic Russian gods which is lameee.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 15, 2016, 10:29:09 pm »

I read two of his books and I actually enjoyed Good Omens but that might be because of Terry Pratchett. Not saying that American Gods were bad, I liked the idea in general but it wasn't something really amazing.
And if I recall right, there were Slavic Gods there, which were basically equaled to Slavic Russian gods which is lameee.
If it makes you feel better, he did screw up the research a bit there.  Bielebog (the spelling used) doesn't actually exist; it was almost certainly a construct of Victorian scholarly research created by application of Christian dualism between good and evil to the decidedly pre-Christian Slavic pagan faiths.  I didn't catch it when I originally read it, but looking at the names he used, I think he actually used Polish derivations (Russian would be Belebog and Chernobog).  They do still live with the "Zorya" rather than Zorza sisters, though.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #264 on: August 15, 2016, 10:38:49 pm »

Well, I am not expert on Old Polish but Czernobog and Bielebog doesn't sound awfully Polish, not to mention that as far as I remember, it's not a pan-Slavic deity but rather West (as in, Germany) Slavic minor one. It just kinda annoys me that every time there are Slavic Gods in popular culture they are very shallow and generalized, usually even going by name "Russian Gods" rather than Slavic Gods (I AM LOOKING AT YOU MARVEL), but hey, I am the ultranationalistic Pole so there's that.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 15, 2016, 10:44:53 pm »

Ah, I'd actually imagine you know more than I.  I mostly based that on the appearance of the "i" and "z", based on the fact that the lists I came up with state that Polish white is "biały" instead of Russian "белый," while black similarly corresponds to "czarny" instead of "черный".  Welp.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #266 on: August 15, 2016, 11:00:25 pm »

Eh, Cyrylic is a thing but it doesn't really apply to Old Slavic since there was completly different alphabet back then. As for "pronounciation", A's in Polish are cruicial, and while it's less common the further you go back in time, ó is a thing (so the proper "modern" version would be Białobóg and Czarnobóg) but it's honestly kind of a moot point since the original comes from Polabian Slavs and should be more akin to Czernobuh or even Tchernobuh but that's also moot point since a) noone actually knows for sure, b) pretty much every village could differ heavily, especially when we're talking about stuff like gods.
And triple moot point is that nobody even fucking cares apart from people like me because >what is potato slav.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:02:06 pm by Kot »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 15, 2016, 11:17:42 pm »

I do see; the "a" being that important probably does indicate that he was just mutilating the names by mixing the two up.  Sorry, though, I did include Latin-text pronunciations with those Cyrillic texts (Cyrillic didn't exist before the 9th century), but I only just remembered that the abbreviation tag doesn't render in all browsers.  Just a note on those acute o's, though; English often ignores accents in spelling, especially in type.  For instance, an English-speaking fellow will often spell the word "résumé" as "resume", and absent context, differentiate it from the verb "resume" (that is, "to continue") only by the original pronunciation not noted in the spelling.  For a Polish example, you'll only rarely see "Lodz" spelled "Łódź" in English, and that change does mean that the city name is pronounced very differently depending on whether a Pole or English speaker is speaking.  The loss of an "ó" or "ł" doesn't really indicate the absence of Polish descent, though the loss of the "a", as you say, makes it much more likely. 

But don't worry; I care, too. I'm just not very competent at it. :P

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 16, 2016, 02:34:49 am »

By the way, can anyone remember the name of a webcomic about a man with a few shark features (called "Sharkey," and his friend who was changed into a taking rabbit living in the underworld? They're also joined by a mute Chinese girl with a scarred face.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 16, 2016, 06:55:31 am »

Manly Guys Doing Manly Things is still going really strong, despite the creator having been hit by a car and catching a cold and getting cancer.
Regardless

Is why I love this comic.
Awh, yeah. Love how the author does her thing. Also love how she characterizes her characters. :3 Did it update lately? Because I forgot the scheduling. ;~;
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 40