Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Water sources during the winter  (Read 1753 times)

Kaopealii

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Water sources during the winter
« on: October 30, 2007, 08:04:00 pm »

I got myself into quite a predicament.  Shortly before Winter I ran out of liquor, and all my water sources are current frozen.  My water sources were a brook and what is now many caches of "ice walls".  

On a side note, it appears you can mine through these ice wall..

Anyways, I have no idea how I'm going to get my dwarves a water source.  Any ideas where an underground river would be running (how far down) is it generally random?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water sources during the winter
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 08:07:00 pm »

You might not have one. You can farm on dirt without watering it, even in winter.

nagromo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 08:09:00 pm »

Yeah, it's random. I don't think you can even count on the existence of an underground river.

It might be possible to melt the ice...? I mean I know ice can melt, but I don't know if you can melt the ice and get water.

Good luck with your dwarves! Is there any chance you could brew some more booze?

In the future, I'd recommend making a big underground pond a few levels down. Inside the mountain, the temperature stays warm enough that water won't freeze.

Grow plump helmets on dirt or clay and brew those. They grow in all 4 seasons now. You can farm on dirt or clay without irrigation.

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: nagromo ]

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 08:10:00 pm »

quote:
It might be possible to melt the ice...? I mean I know ice can melt, but I don't know if you can melt the ice and get water.

It's bugged. You get boulders of water.

Kaopealii

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 08:15:00 pm »

Ah I have tons of plump helmets, I forgot you could brew them.  Thanks guys

Oh can I get a crash course on brewing.. ha

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: Kaopealii ]

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 08:21:00 pm »

quote:
Oh can I get a crash course on brewing.. ha

Build a still, have an empty barrel (perhaps reserve one or five on the stockpile screen), brew.

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 11:47:00 pm »

If you have lots of trees and a carpenters shop, start making lots of barrels!
ho watches those that watch us???

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 05:39:00 pm »

Note that it stays relatively warm underground all year round, so if you're having problems with water freezing, try digging an underground reservoir and filling it with water using whatever means you feel are necessary.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »

What about ponds? You can have lot of water stored up in those I guess.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 07:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kaopealii:
<STRONG>(Oh can) I get a crash (course) on brewing.</STRONG>

I misread that...  bugs bug bugs bugs....

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 02:43:00 am »

I had the problem of the OP but had managed to build a small, underground moat. The dwarves couldn't drink from the water from the stairs down into the moat, and I had everyone get real thristy during winter. I got my miners to try and dig sideways into the moat from an outside extension of the moat(hoping that the resultant water spill would spread out and not drown anyone).

Of course, all three miners got frozen by the ice, and the rest of the fort died of thirst.

Only NOW do I realise my mistake: that I could have mined into the moat from an underground source and stayed safe from the insta-freeze. Let that be a lesson to yas!

Saktoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 05:41:00 am »

Any water that is 'indoors' (under a roof of any kind) wont freeze in winter, but also isnt considered a water source!

You can cache away some water into an underground pool, but since you cant drink from it, its prettymuch useless.

Ive used magma to melt enough glacial ice to get it muddy and start farming, but beyond that, no luck with melting ice. Considering water outdoors insta-freezes, i dont like your chances.

Mu.

• Bay Watcher
  • Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 07:20:00 am »

I had a frozen pond one layer underground.  I tried digging a tunnel around the edges of the pond and filling them with magma (so that the edges of the pond became "warm") but it didn't melt. :_(

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 12:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Saktoth:
<STRONG>Any water that is 'indoors' (under a roof of any kind) wont freeze in winter, but also isnt considered a water source!

You can cache away some water into an underground pool, but since you cant drink from it, its prettymuch useless.

Ive used magma to melt enough glacial ice to get it muddy and start farming, but beyond that, no luck with melting ice. Considering water outdoors insta-freezes, i dont like your chances.</STRONG>

I built an underground lake and didn't have any water source problems with it.  Just dig out a small underground section leading to your underground reservoir (without removing the floor above of course) so that the water can fill a little tunnel, then channel out a single floor part above the water tunnel and build a well over the hole.  Viola, instant underground drinking source.  Of course, it helps to plan this out before hand so you don't have to worry about digging the little tunnel and stuff after you've filled in the reservoir.

I liked my little underground lake.  It had levers for opening the floodgates at the river with grates open for filling my lake and hopefully getting some fish with it through floodgates positioned on the wall over the lake, and another lever for opening the river floodgates with grates closed for irrigating my underground farms through floodgates positioned on the wall near my farms, which would inturn run off into the lake.  It had an overflow release (just a simple downward sloping tunnel at the lake surface level) to keep it from completely flooding my farming area and a lever operated emergency emptying shaft carved straight down into the floor of the reservoir.  They both emptied out into some woods.  1 dwarf mangled his leg, and 2 dwarves died during its construction, but I did find a nice big gold vein when I was digging the overflow tunnel.

[ November 01, 2007: Message edited by: Lord_Phoenix ]

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 07:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mu.:
<STRONG>I had a frozen pond one layer underground.  I tried digging a tunnel around the edges of the pond and filling them with magma (so that the edges of the pond became "warm") but it didn't melt. :_(</STRONG>

Hm it should melt if youve done that. Perhaps stuff like that will be added in later.

Pages: [1] 2