Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Little Brother problems  (Read 4525 times)

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
Little Brother problems
« on: March 18, 2014, 05:14:43 am »

He's always been annoying and easy to anger, but he's borderline acute bipolar now. Even the slightest rebuttal to his annoying activities turns him into an angry idiot who wants to fight. I can deal with the fighting, but it's been getting downright murderous. Any tips on how to defuse the problem before he either kills me or I have to seriously hurt him?
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Little Brother problems
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 05:24:14 am »

Could you just lock him in a room with a cat-flap and pass him food and drink through it? Or would people notice he was missing?

Seriously, though (I'm assuming you wouldn't like that idea), I think the only real sensible solutions would involve getting him professional help, which might be difficult depending on your situation and how old he is. Or perhaps just avoid him, but again, that might be difficult depending on the situation. We require more data! Probably.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 05:28:18 am »

Just slap him really hard when he starts to act up. My older brother did that to me, and I turned out fine.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 05:40:57 am »

Heh, data you shall receive. He's about 14, average student, massive gaming fan. Spends most of his free time either drawing or playing Terraria. Professional help is probably a no, avoidance is tricky since he annoys me endlessly for his own amusement, and quantum slapping him will just end in another fight.

On my part, I am a bit of a jerkass to him. He is a pain in the butt, though.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 05:50:40 am »

If he's still up for a fight after a slap, you haven't slapped him hard enough.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 06:00:19 am »

What, knock him out?

The last time I hit him he whipped out a knife. That is not a good sign.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 07:29:25 am »

The last time I hit him he whipped out a knife. That is not a good sign.

Spoiler: Solution (click to show/hide)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 07:55:40 am »

Angry brother with a knife seems like a serious problem. I'd probably resort to defending myself with sufficient force if it were to come to that point. A point to be avoided for sure.

Where do the parents stand on this?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 08:07:44 am »

Angry brother with a knife seems like a serious problem. I'd probably resort to defending myself with sufficient force if it were to come to that point. A point to be avoided for sure.

The knife seemed to be retaliation for the hitting. Defending himself with sufficient force was literally what he was doing.

Seriously, is everyone here joking, or actually advocating physical violence? Especially when the problem was that smurfingtonthethird didn't want to have to fight him.

What are the specific annoying activities?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 08:09:43 am by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 10:19:17 am »

My only suggestions:
1.  Don't hit, don't use violence.  It won't help.  Don't listen to someone who tells you to retaliate.
2.  Fourteen is not always a fun time for a boy, so there might be lots more going on.  I had a lot more conflict with my father at that age then almost any other.
3.  A diagnosis for any sort of illness needs to be done by a professional.  Not the internet. 
4.  If you are being threatened, talk to your parents.  It's good to talk to someone else who has your brothers best interest at heart.
5.  Don't escalate.  It makes you the enemy.  And don't be a pain in the butt to him either! 
6.  Did I mention not to hit or use violence?  That one is kind of important.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 10:21:27 am »

Seriously, is everyone here joking, or actually advocating physical violence? Especially when the problem was that smurfingtonthethird didn't want to have to fight him.

I am dead serious. This is no joking matter. Nor am I by any means advocating a confrontation, do not put words in my mouth.

What I did say is when it does come to it you cannot ignore the behavior or try to appease, that will only empower it. When someone pulls a potentially lethal weapon on you, you sure as hell should defend yourself apropriately. Better to avoid escelation and deal with the behavior before it spins out of hand of course, exactly how is what we should figure out if we want to help.

3.  A diagnosis for any sort of illness needs to be done by a professional.  Not the internet. 
4.  If you are being threatened, talk to your parents.  It's good to talk to someone else who has your brothers best interest at heart.
Quoting for emphasis.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:23:19 am by Jelle »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 10:36:25 am »

Any significant amount of violence means the kid needs professional help.

I would disagree with anyone who says to return the violence, except if you feel life or limb is threatened and you can't run away. You don't want to be a hypocrite to someone like this. Take all the high grounds, moral or otherwise.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 03:40:39 pm »

Any significant amount of violence means the kid needs professional help.

I would disagree with anyone who says to return the violence, except if you feel life or limb is threatened and you can't run away. You don't want to be a hypocrite to someone like this. Take all the high grounds, moral or otherwise.

Agreed.  Especially if the issue is an annoying brother.  Defend, don't attack!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 03:43:18 pm »

So, lure him into professional help, hold the line and avoid him? Sounds like a plan.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 08:37:00 pm »

He's always been annoying and easy to anger, but he's borderline acute bipolar now. Even the slightest rebuttal to his annoying activities turns him into an angry idiot who wants to fight. I can deal with the fighting, but it's been getting downright murderous. Any tips on how to defuse the problem before he either kills me or I have to seriously hurt him?

Pull an Ender, minus the killing bit. Or don't, depending. Can you win easily? It all depends upon that.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4