Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dear Urist ...  (Read 848 times)

dharthoorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dear Urist ...
« on: March 17, 2014, 08:08:07 am »

Hi Everyone. Just getting acquainted with DF and between the occasional fit of rage and frustration I'm having a ball. Few thing aren't quite clear to me even when reading the excellently compiled DF Wiki.

I have compiled a few letters to most aggravating Dorfs I've encountered so far. Hopefully some forum member know these dorfs personally and can pass these letters on so I may get an answer back somehow.

Letter 1.
Dear Urist McStubborn,
Please dump my unwanted furniture (notably the substandard beds) from my furniture stockpile when I ask you to. I have provided you with a garbage dump in plain accessible sight right next to the trade depot. Even when you have no enabled labors except hauling (including refuse and cleaning) you just sit there being idle and wave your little stubby middle finger at me. Why do you insist on disobeying furniture dumping whereas you dump and haul stone just fine. Really Urist, I do wish we could come to an agreement that would serve both our purposes. I eagerly await your reply.

Letter 2.
Dear Urist McRetard,
Why do you insist on standing on the one invalid tile (the actual construction site) out of the other 6 valid ones to construct a wall piece. You then resort to repeatedly complaining to me there is a "creature" standing on your construction site and you therefore cannot begin your masterwork construction. Urist, Urist, Urist, oh dear. How shall I put this. The creature occupying the site of construction is you, yourself. Because you chose to stand there even though there are orthogonally accessible, same level, pristine, virgin and willing, alternative available squares beckoning you, you insist on standing on the ONE tile that would foil my plans for that particular piece of wall. If our fortress would fall due to that one gap you left in the wall then what would I have to write home to your mother? Please reflect well on this last sentence before replying.

Thanks in advance for any help ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:12:15 am by dharthoorn »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Urist ...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 08:12:37 am »

Letter 2:

Dear Overseer,

Have you looked at that bug there? It's on the way, I can't jsut build over him!

(It's just a game bug, you need to get and adjancent orthagonal tile in order to build properly.)
In a time before time, I had a name.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:27:04 am »

Hi Everyone. Just getting acquainted with DF and between the occasional fit of rage and frustration I'm having a ball. Few thing aren't quite clear to me even when reading the excellently compiled DF Wiki.

I have compiled a few letters to most aggravating Dorfs I've encountered so far. Hopefully some forum member know these dorfs personally and can pass these letters on so I may get an answer back somehow.

Letter 1.
Dear Urist McStubborn,
Please dump my unwanted furniture (notably the substandard beds) from my furniture stockpile when I ask you to. I have provided you with a garbage dump in plain accessible sight right next to the trade depot. Even when you have no enabled labors except hauling (including refuse and cleaning) you just sit there being idle and wave your little stubby middle finger at me. Why do you insist on disobeying furniture dumping whereas you dump and haul stone just fine. Really Urist, I do wish we could come to an agreement that would serve both our purposes. I eagerly await your reply.

Letter 2.
Dear Urist McRetard,
Why do you insist on standing on the one invalid tile (the actual construction site) out of the other 6 valid ones to construct a wall piece. You then resort to repeatedly complaining to me there is a "creature" standing on your construction site and you therefore cannot begin your masterwork construction. Urist, Urist, Urist, oh dear. How shall I put this. The creature occupying the site of construction is you, yourself. Because you chose to stand there even though there are orthogonally accessible, same level, pristine, virgin and willing, alternative available squares beckoning you, you insist on standing on the ONE tile that would foil my plans for that particular piece of wall. If our fortress would fall due to that one gap you left in the wall then what would I have to write home to your mother? Please reflect well on this last sentence before replying.

Thanks in advance for any help ;)

1. Assignment of dump jobs is capricious and slow. You'll need multiple dwarfs with refuse hauling enabled, or you'll have a long wait before you. Is the furniture stockpile by any chance outside or in an aboveground building? In those cases, "refuse" will only be touched if you enable "o"rders - "r"efuse - "o"utside refuse hauling. The qualification "outside" is a holdover from older times, it actually means everything labelled "aboveground light".

2. A known bug. The dwarf got disrupted during pathing to the building, and the build job ended up chosing the place where the building's supposed to stand as "build from here" location. Unsuspending the suspended jobs will do nothing, because it's not the dwarf who got confused, but the job itself. The workaround is to _cancel_ the stuck job and designate the same building once again. Only in this case will the game calculate a new path to the build site and pick a better place to stand on.

dharthoorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 08:57:15 am »

Is the furniture stockpile by any chance outside or in an aboveground building?

This. May songs of praise echo the Dwaven Halls for all eternity for providing closure to this enigma.

A known bug

Another one of those self-replicating vermin? May they be Damned to Hell along with the Infine Loop, Divide by 0, Invalid Procedure Call, Deadlock and Memory Leak.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 09:01:39 am »

Another one of those self-replicating vermin? May they be Damned to Hell along with the Infine Loop, Divide by 0, Invalid Procedure Call, Deadlock and Memory Leak.
As a programmer, I must say that you destroy the very concept of reality only by mentioning those.
In a time before time, I had a name.

dharthoorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 09:26:00 am »

As a programmer, I must say that you destroy the very concept of reality only by mentioning those.

In my case, they destroy the already wavering concept of my sanity.

Nevertheless, I must say that considering the scope and depth of DF, I'm amazed there are so few.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 08:56:10 pm »

There's already a thread for strongly-worded letters to dwarves:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63417
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 02:15:15 am »

Yeah, but he actually wanted help with these, Bumber.  That thread is usually just a humor thread with the rare occasional useful bit of advice tossed in.