Poll

[No real poll at the moment, so have this]

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Soup
Albania
Cats
Traditional Albanian Cat Soup

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: ☼Questravagers II☼: A 4j community warlock fortress[On hiatus]  (Read 11840 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Questravagers II: A 4j community warlock fortress[On hiatus]
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 10:36:55 am »

[For some reason, after I booted up the save the date on the z-menu was 10 days behind the actual date of 11th malachite. This is weird]
Warlocks can break the space-time continuum.
It's not just them, it happened to mahrgell's kobolds too. I think it may have to do with the gnomish time travel.

This IS getting interesting.
The time travel SHOULDN'T be doing anything if there isn't an actual time machine active, but... at this point it seems like the most likely cause.  Has anyone found a pattern?

EDIT: I think I found the problem.  Seems that the druidism.lua script still had some remnants of the code I was using when I was first testing out the time warp.  I've removed it in the latest update.  That seems like the most likely culprit.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 05:23:38 pm »

[For some reason, after I booted up the save the date on the z-menu was 10 days behind the actual date of 11th malachite. This is weird]
Warlocks can break the space-time continuum.
It's not just them, it happened to mahrgell's kobolds too. I think it may have to do with the gnomish time travel.

This IS getting interesting.
The time travel SHOULDN'T be doing anything if there isn't an actual time machine active, but... at this point it seems like the most likely cause.  Has anyone found a pattern?

EDIT: I think I found the problem.  Seems that the druidism.lua script still had some remnants of the code I was using when I was first testing out the time warp.  I've removed it in the latest update.  That seems like the most likely culprit.

Nice to see that this is a bug and not just my computer spazzing out completely. Its still sort of fun having a timey-wimey warp thingy going on in a warlock fort, but it was really confusing at first.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2014, 04:53:09 am »

The way you treat your ghoul make me feel like a shitty overlord.
I alway make those poor guys charge in , barehand, head first, sometime naked into the steel clad dwarf siege :D
All my towers is considered ghoul-free zone within two year. 8)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2014, 11:20:34 pm »

I think it is update time.

I thought wrong. Dwarf Fortress randomly crashed after I'd played about a season. No update's today. Its a shame because everyone got their citizens. I'd just finished organizing the last migrant wave too. : (

Spooky Signature

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2014, 04:37:02 pm »

Quicksaves help.

Nice to see someone try a community warlock tower. The feedback will be most helpful in making them better and fairer to play.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 04:50:12 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2014, 03:54:53 pm »

I think it is update time. For real this time.

24th Sandstone: I feel oddly temporally displaced. As if a thousand hours had passed and then been suddenly unwraveled. Perhaps Our Most Austere Overlord's arguments about the twisted passage of time in this place had more merit then that inherent in his rank. I send Nuttycompa to go kill some emus to take my mind of off those depressing thoughts.

28th Sandstone: The emus have been slain and are being processed. Half of Our Most Omnipotent Overlord's rooms have been hollowed-out and are being smoothed by InsanityIncarnate. I requested that Temptsfate make some new skeletons from the bones and souls of the emus.

2nd Timber: Palu is out gathering herbs again. I'm not sure why. I suspect he is more fond of the outdoors then he is willing to let on. Personally, I find the subterranean enviroment here calming.

6th Timber: Temptsfate made a new skeleton out of the emu parts. I invoked my priveledges as Keeper of Knowledge to veto any little-girl names for it. He grudgingly accepted and dubbed it "Razorback". Since Annie and Sootbones have finally finished making enough ash and coke for a lot of ironbone, I have designated Razorback as a metalsmith.

8th Timber: Our All-Powerful Overlord's rooms have been fully excavated. I have begun work on appropriate furnishings for someone of CptCrunchys status.

11th Timber: Temptsfate has assembled another skeleton he calls "Hannah". I have assigned her[?]
the role of "Fatsmith", a combintion cook and chandler.

12th Timber: We've run out of bones to turn into skeletons, so I've sent Nuttycompa out to once again cull some emus.

13th Timber: He obliges almost immediately. He decapitates the emu in one strike. Note to self: Procure better accommodations for Nuttycompa at unspecified future date.

15th Timber: NO-ONE MUST EXPORT SCYTHES, THEY'RE ALL MINE!!!!

18th Timber: I found out that there were in fact TWO skeletons who were supposed to be lumberjacks. Only Annie had a bonesaw. I reformatted the spare as a leatherworker.

19th Timber: Temptsfate made another skeleton he named "Emily". I've drafted her[?] as a stonecrafter/mason. I've made arrangements for the destruction of the old masons workshop and its replacement by a more modern stonecrafters workshop. That way we can truly shed the material world and have Emily work with the Ethereal, instead.

20th Timber: Temptsfate went around today and renamed all the skeletons except Sootbones, InsanityIncarnate and Razorback. I am more then a little confused about his choice of names.

21st Timber: A pair of skeletons arrived on site. I hope they brought their masters with them.

22nd Timber: Several skeletons so far and still no Warlocks. This doesn't bode well.

23rd Timber: The group of undead, 5 skeletons and a ghoul are all within the tower. The ghoul, who Temptsfate insists is his old friend Kamikazi brings bad news: The Legion of Light has joined in on the persecution of Warlocks and has burned the Great Obsidian Library. We are the last Warlocks. Ghoul-who-looks-like-Kamikazi managed to lead a few skeletons out of the carnage and brought them to the beacon. I set about reformatting the skeletons, equip the new ghoul with Kamikazi's things and send him up to train.

The minutes of a meeting said to have taken place on the 24th of Timber is pasted in the journal
Arcvasti: We're all up here at the top of the tower to discuss recent events. We are the last Warlocks. How do we want to be remembered?
Arcvasti: I propose we rebuild the Great Obsidian Library here, that the lost knowledge might be regained.
CptCrunchy: We should send our minions out to terrorize the land and make the world fear us again!
Palu: We should gather reagents and use them in eldritch rituals to exact veangence on the unworthy.
Temptsfate: We should have more children.
Arcvasti: **Clears throat**
-Dead Silence-
Temptsfate: I mean, make more skeletons and ghouls.
Arcvasti: We will meet again at Winters end if we still live. If anyone needs any workers for their projects, take it up with me. We have a lot of unassigned skeletons right now.

25th Timber: I set about handing out tasks for the new skeletons: One is to be a shredder, to turn herbs and ores and gems into usable dust. One was preprogrammed as a mechanic and will continue as such. One will stay on the default mining duty. One will prepare gems for rituals. One will take care of the health the towers residents. Temptsfate insisted on naming all of them.

26th Timber: I've finally gotten around to bottling the leftover souls of the emus. They're not useful right now, but they might come in handy.

31st Timber: Our Eminant Overlord's rooms are fully furnished and smoothed. They lack only the precise touch of an expert before their true purpose is revealed. Just like the Tower. For although Warlocks are not a true race like dwarves or elves, we are still brothers and sisters in our universal revilement and our magical practices. And far too many of us have died alone for us to be solitary creatures. We will have vengeance on the races of the world. We will restore the lost knowledge they took from us. And we will write the next chapter of Warlock history in the blood of our foes. I need be no seer to see this future ahead of us: Questravagers will do great things.
Spooky Signature

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2014, 09:49:33 pm »

[[OOC: Well, no more warlocks looks like. Sorry Azuraal. 5 skeletons in one migrant wave is ridiculous. Before the crash, I got 5 warlocks. 5 warlocks. 5. **Sighs**]]
Spooky Signature

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2014, 03:34:19 pm »

I wish for spells and screenshots :D

Nothing that screenshot-worthy has hapened so far. I AM planning to have a bunch of pictures of the fort at the end of the year to showcase the layout.
Spooky Signature

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2014, 10:24:19 pm »

I wish for spells and screenshots :D
Nothing that screenshot-worthy has hapened so far. I AM planning to have a bunch of pictures of the fort at the end of the year to showcase the layout.
If those pictures include some of my engravings, I'll be very happy.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2014, 03:33:56 pm »

you couls "spawn Warlock-civ 5 Warlock" to replace the warlocks you lost to the crash. its only fair, to cheat to undo bugs.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2014, 04:59:40 pm »

you could "spawn Warlock-civ 5 Warlock" to replace the warlocks you lost to the crash. its only fair, to cheat to undo bugs.

I think I'll just spawn one for Azuraal, since he didn't get a lock. And maybe one more for story purposes. Thanks for telling me you could do that.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 07:20:58 pm by Arcvasti »
Spooky Signature

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2014, 10:29:26 pm »

And the update begins now. Not actually, this is a semi-story, semi-tutorial post which outlines the library system and establishes some goals for the fort.

[[OOC:Ok, looks like we're focusing on spells and magic and such. I'll probably start another poll as to which school of magic to do first once we have enough books. Also, the spawnunit thing isn't working. It either gives me a ghoul or an Overlord. I'll just stick with the current batch for this update. Anyone who knows how to spawn a member of the Warlock caste with DFhack should enlighten me as to how.]]

Palu came to me today. She said she was going to take the Restoration of the Great Obsidian Library personally and demanded that I supply her with the needed supplies and workshops. There are quite a lot of them. I've gotten started on making block-componants for the mortars and pestles required for her more herbalistic side of the Restoration.

The other major facet of the Restoration is the shredders: Skeleton-operated machines that grind up ores, logs, gems and herbs into much more tidy little bags of powder used in advanced alchemy. We need sawblades for those. Normally, we can just make some out of cheap bone, but Temptsfate used up all the bone stock on skeletons. And there's nothing but a bird outside for prey and Nuttycompa can't fly fast enough to catch it. Temptsfate says he knows where some bones are and started rooting around in the empty coffins again.

The final part of the Restoration is the physical segment: The books themselves. Making books requires glue[Made from easily accessible bone. That should be no problem, we have plenty of bone. OH WAIT.], some kind of paper material,[vellum works fine and Palu says she can make papyrus out of most plants.], ink[Made from commenplace ash or blood.] and most importantly, a scalp for the cover. It MUST be a scalp, no other material has the same magical resonance. At least that's what Palu assures me of. CptCrunchy says he needs a proper throne room to bind some minions for raiding. I politely ask him to stop interrupting my contemplations for a reliable source of scalps with his unrelated problems.

Once we're finally done binding enough books to fully outfit an elemental library, we need special reagents made by a skilled alchemist to fully empower one of us with its knowledge. These reagents are mixed from the dusts made in shredders. Palu tells me that with the herbs she's already collected, and the rich minerals of the site, she'll have no problem making the necessary components. She also informs me that if I can get her the raw ingrediants, she can make enough books for a library easily. I inquired as to when her training in alchemy and bookbinding first appeared. She gave me some creative instructions as to what to do with my emu-bone staff.

Magical libraries sure are complicated!

[[OOC:Real update to follow shortly.]]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:44:45 pm by Arcvasti »
Spooky Signature

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2014, 11:53:17 pm »

4th Moonstone: Palu has co-opted Madison and Sarah[The miners] for her Restoration project. The whole tower seems to be in her thrall at the moment and everything is working towards her pet issue.

8th Moonstone: Work proceeds apace on the creation of mortars and pestles for Palu's laboratories. Madison and Sarah are mining out the library area with alacrity. Temptsfate is still rummaging through his empty coffins and CptCrunchy still nags me about how his rooms aren't quite engraved yet. Buisness as usual.

13th Moonstone: CptCrunchy has demanded no one export leather armour. I comply with this edict with the greatest reluctence. Its so ridiculous prohibiting these exports. The only people we export to are kobolds, and I'm not sure that counts. But what if it does? To be safe, I've ordered the towers only scythe locked up in my room where no one can steal it.

14th Moonstone: Emily[The stoneworker], finished making the ethereal mortars and pestles today. Palu immediately rushes off to go set up her laboratories. Better that then have her micromanage everything that moves to feed her obsession with the Restoration. Hopefully she'll be busy for a while down there.

16th Moonstone: CptCrunchy is becoming increasingly insistent about his magical throne room. I'm getting started on a bunch of statues to shut him up.

17th Moonstone: I'm finally done the statues, and the next thing I know, Palu pops up and demands I make some blocks for her scriptorium.

18th Moonstone: I'm done the blocks and Palu is back to micromanaging her pet projects construction rather then pestering everyone else about it.

19th Moonstone: I've dispatched Madison and Sarah to go dig out an area for CptCrunchy's new magic throne room.

20th Moonstone: Palu is upset because the area she told Madison and Sarah to dig out was too small and I won't allow her to take them off their current duty. Why was I ever thinking about arming these people with magical staves in the first place?

21st Moonstone: When I climbed up the tower, I beheld an eerie scene: Nuttycompa and the new Kamikazi were training with their weapons. And there, looking upon his replacement with sorrow and agony was the ghost of Kamikazi.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

25th Moonstone: CptCrunchys rooms have been encrusted with masterful runes and his magic throne room is being built. He responds to this good news by demanding that no hourglasses leave the premises. They ARE valuable to my work, but they're made of rock. We have plenty of rocks.

27th Moonstone: Kamikazi is refusing to train. I don't blame him. Staring into the ghost of the person everyone claims you are is unsettling. Maybe we should bury the old Kamikazi. His body is still in the training area. Staring at your own corpse is probably unsettling too. I'll get started on the coffin as soon as I can.

3rd Opal: Nuttycompa beat a bird today. A peregrine falcon dived too low and got bisected. Its body landed in the pond, so no bones for us, but still.

16th Opal: We finally finished that absurd throne room CptCrunchy wanted. Then he made us sit through a CORONATION ceremony. He dissolved into a cloud of mist as the ethereal crown settled on his head. Maybe the magic throne room WASN'T a total waste of time. He certainly seemed... INVIGORATED afterwards though.

17th Opal: Palu is going half mad from the lack of bones. Then Temptsfate came in and said he'd found some bones. Apparantly, this sack of bones and skin was found in one of the empty coffins. That CptCrunchy built. I order it processed, regardless of its origins.

[[Neither Nuttycompa nor Kamikazi will train. They both just stand around. Its really aggravating. I've even switched the name and assignment of "Kamikazi" with the butcher and it didn't help. I just hope they get to training, or I'll have to set up a danger room or something if I want non-novice soldiers.]]

Spooky Signature

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2014, 12:50:06 am »

The non-training is a pretty well documented bug with v4i, ive had to go back to playing 4h because of it. 

You're becoming progressively more insolent in regards to your Overlord, now that I am properly crowned I'm assuming you will respect my authority more (though seriously, banning exports of leather armor sucks, thats usually a huge part of my early game trading goods)
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6