Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Geographic features in forest retreats inexistent  (Read 1069 times)

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
Geographic features in forest retreats inexistent
« on: March 16, 2014, 01:52:35 pm »

The title is straightforward: I have been adventuring more and I've come across a big expanse of elfish grounds. It is, according to the Fast Travel Map, carved with some major rivers that I cannot pass through unless I go out of fast travel mode and then swim across them.

I am aware of the inexistence of dwarf, elfish or goblin structures in the world, but does this also apply to rivers? Are there more features that may appear on the map, but actually not be generated?
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Geographic features in forest retreats inexistent
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 03:28:23 pm »

That's because in the current version, Dwarven, Goblin, and Elven sites were removed until they are revamped, so there is nothing there right now.

In the next release they will be back.

If you want goblin, dwarven, and elven sites, you can mod them to build towns.

The Cafe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 04:00:10 pm »

You realize he said, "I am aware of the inexistence of dwarf, elfish or goblin structures in the world, but does this also apply to rivers?"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 04:45:47 pm »

You realize he said, "I am aware of the inexistence of dwarf, elfish or goblin structures in the world, but does this also apply to rivers?"

Go me for not reading the whole post, lol XD

To correctly answer the OP, no, it's just the goblin, dwarven, and elven sites that are currently non-existent. Sometimes volcanoes might not actually breach the surface, but unless you want to go magma swimming, that is a minor thing. I ran into one which I was unable to find the entrance for, not sure if that one didn't break the surface or what.

As for the river, it can be covered over with snow, but it's there.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:47:52 pm by smjjames »

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 07:13:15 pm »

I beg to differ (otherwise I wouldn't have posted this). Whenever I seem to pass a river that also is inside one of those sites, there doesn't seem to exist the river. No snow or ice or whatever. Not even a nice crevasse marking the place where the river is on a pebble bed.

The river, while it exists on the Travel Map, doesn't exist on "adventurer life". There does seem to be some sort of evidence a river could run through those places where I'm passing (as most of those places resembled shallow valleys), but besides that, no river whatsoever.
There are murky pools as usual though.
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 07:16:17 pm »

I'm guessing that it's an artifact of the sites themselves not existing. When I tried to go to a mountainhome, there was nothing but a huge flat area.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 08:24:39 pm »

I wonder why the areas weren't just left in, were they that bad?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 08:58:42 pm »

I wonder why the areas weren't just left in, were they that bad?

Pretty much. The elven sites had nothing there, just elves milling around, the goblin sites did have the dark towers, but were empty (you could find the demon though if you're lucky), the dwarven sites either had nothing or it consisted of a large square shaft with stairs on the sides. Basically they were completely uninteresting compared to the new human towns.

I guess he COULD have left them in so that the new missions would at least work correctly in 34.11, but maybe 0.34 broke the old sites so horribly that he might as well leave them out.