Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Searched for this, but can't find an answer: Hotkey changes since tutorial?  (Read 469 times)

Redwood Elf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I downloaded the game today along with the tutorial (and the old version so I could run the tutorial) - once I loaded into the new version, I found a couple of problems I haven't been able to figure out:

1: You can't always select dig areas with the mouse anymore. It appears to work in some areas of the screen but not in others.
2: (IMPORTANT) Holding down alt and using the arrow keys appears to no longer be the method of scrolling up and down in menus. I haven't been able to find any hotkeys that WILL scroll up and down in the menus, which means I cannot access the help files, grow any crop but the first one in the list for each season, or do anything that requires scrolling in a submenu.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm.

1) I haven't seen any problems with this myself, although, granted, I don't do it a lot.  Some things to be aware of: you can't designate tiles near the edge (like 5 or fewer tiles away, I think); when outdoors, it defaults to designate trees, rather than designate mine, which obviously won't do anything inside a mountain, and with hilly environs, "outdoors" can involve a lot of rock; when moving the mouse quickly, designation spots can be missed (the mouse is quicker than the brain!  erm cpu).

2) I didn't realize that was ever a single way to scroll up and down like that!  There are three ways to scroll, depending on the menu: up/down arrows; pgup/pgdn keys; numpad +/- keys.  None of these take modifiers like alt or ctrl, and maybe numlock needs to be in some particular state.  The precise key you need depends on the menu, which I think we all agree sucks, so if one set of keys doesn't work to scroll the menu, try the next.  Not sure about how laptop peeps play DF.

I hope that helps.  Good luck with your game!  If you have more problems, or if this doesn't help, let us know.  Hopefully with the precise menu/situation/whatever you're having trouble with, because there are bound to be special situations that won't immediately spring to mind.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.