Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Above Ground Zombie Defense?  (Read 2403 times)

magnum2016

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Above Ground Zombie Defense?
« on: March 15, 2014, 09:06:33 pm »

I am currently playing the Corrosion Mod which to be simple is a zombie mod,

The zombies act pretty much the same as in the original version they just come more often and they are in larger numbers.

Now i was planning on making a above ground safezone (town) in the middle of the map in my next playthrough,

What are the best defenses to do this, how can it be done, how large should the town be etc.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Above Ground Zombie Defense?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 10:06:59 pm »

From what I learned playing with necromancer towers around, you can just make some archer towers around every forty blocks of distance and everyone might be safe. The town must not expand beyond the range of towers tough, since you need to lure the necromancers near the marksdwarves.
In a time before time, I had a name.

magnum2016

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 11:52:03 pm »

Well in this mod there are no necromancers,

The undead are driven as a horde technically but they have no hive mind, not only this but arrows and such are hard to procure so what would be the best strategy to take them out without archers?

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 12:18:14 am »

Now, Ive never had to battle zombies in the game, but I fancy myself a zombie survival enthusiast, and now a lot of stereotypes that may work.
  • Making a large tower, multiple bottom floors with nothing but traps.
  • Put several doors to every possible entrance in and out so you have time to amass forces.
  • Make sure EVERYONE is armed in someway, no matter how (un)skilled they are in whatever weapon you have.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 01:50:41 am »

From my long-term terrifying biome fort- mobility is the key. Five 3 or 4 man groups stationed throughout the town is the safest bet. That way, you can respond to any zombies quickly. Legendary+ troops have pretty much no problem killing any amount of zombies IF there are at least two of them. Otherwise, the zombies will knock the soldier down for 20 minutes till one gets a lucky hit. Don't use bladed weapons, you will just multiply the problem. I honestly would not recommend armoring citizens, the loss of speed is very dangerous and armor doesn't seem to do crap against zombie blows. You state that ammo is in short supply- i'd recommend outfitting your important dwarves with a crossbow and a few bolts just to give themselves a last chance if the military can't get there in time. You can butcher any non-sentient corpses and then make bolts from the bones. Either having a large, very highly skilled military, or having a wall with a drawbridge and a door is important. If you just have a door, a stupid kobold zombie or a snatcher will let everyone in. Compartmentalization is very important. EVERY space needs to be able to be sealed instantly by you; this mitigates zombies breaking past defenses. Having several routes to every important area and having multiple stockpiles, sleeping areas, dining halls, is all crucial. That way, if your military is slaughtered and half the fort is overrun, it's entirely possible to lock all the doors to the overrun area, use the other food stockpiles, setup or use other farms, engrave slabs to the dead dwarves, and rebuild a military.
About the military- imo no point even trying to fight the zombies with a large but unskilled military. Zombies seem absurdly fond of headshots and they will utterly wreck an unskilled military.
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 04:43:38 am »

Walls, ditches and floodgates are all your friends, especially when thugs and other humans rock up. Just set up a reservoir at your front gate, put a ditch maze behind, and watch as the zombies near your gate get washed into a deep pit.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 06:02:37 am »

If you find any flame breathing monsters you could capture and weaponize them.

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 08:07:00 am »

If you find any flame breathing monsters you could capture and weaponize them.
Zombies take FOREVER to burn to death, even in direct magma. All a fire attack does is turn them into bloody hard to kill flame spreaders.
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 11:20:40 am »

Zombies take FOREVER to burn to death, even in direct magma. All a fire attack does is turn them into bloody hard to kill flame spreaders.
Fix, they don't, due to a bug, zombies don't burn or melt away.

Well in this mod there are no necromancers,

The undead are driven as a horde technically but they have no hive mind, not only this but arrows and such are hard to procure so what would be the best strategy to take them out without archers?
if they go as a horde, that is, tightly packed groups, you can aways use traps, and since there aren't necromancers, how do they rise up again? If they don't, this gets even easier, just outnumber them and try to have at least two sides to attack from, so thery don't gang up against dwarves.
No point even trying to fight the zombies with a large but unskilled military. Zombies seem absurdly fond of headshots and they will utterly wreck an unskilled military.
You is just really unlucky, they go for heads mostly if the dwarf unconsious(like everything else, really), numbers help because dwarves may get tired of the battle quickly, and armor don't do much against zombies because their attacks count as blunt damage.
In a time before time, I had a name.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 01:25:33 pm »

Fire will melt them eventually, but it takes a long time. Magma is the bugged one, it won't melt them at all.
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

magnum2016

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 01:52:13 pm »

Thanks for the good advice so far
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 01:55:41 pm by magnum2016 »

magnum2016

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 01:55:12 pm »

Well the main issue is in the mod zombies can actually infected the "Survivors" so one bite means a death sentence,

I was wondering should i stick with several different buildings for each dwarf or just have a large inn that every dwarf will live in, because if any infected get in the inn it could be a mass slaughter to everyone in it however if they are in single houses the undead could go door to door?

Opinions?

So far my base looks like this

################
# $                         #
# $                       ^#
# $                     -------
# $                       ^#
################

# Walls
$ Houses (So far just workshops
- Entrance
^ Guard Houses

Frostea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 09:13:20 pm »

Fire will melt them eventually, but it takes a long time. Magma is the bugged one, it won't melt them at all.

If I'm not mistaken, both fire and magma will not kill them. I tried firing magma on the zombies. Even with the entire map on fire with magma, they don't seem to die even after a week in game time. But they can easily be dispatched with just about anything after all their body parts melt off.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 01:36:28 am »

If I'm not mistaken, both fire and magma will not kill them. I tried firing magma on the zombies. Even with the entire map on fire with magma, they don't seem to die even after a week in game time. But they can easily be dispatched with just about anything after all their body parts melt off.

I used a fireball-throwing forgotten beast as a flamethrower, and while it took weeks of being on fire for the zombies to start melting, there were no body parts left afterwards. They were being hit continually by fireballs, so not just the fire from being "on fire".
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 02:06:32 am »

Well the main issue is in the mod zombies can actually infected the "Survivors" so one bite means a death sentence,
Huh. I didn't realize that was possible in DF. Out of curiosity, what tag did you use to do that? A syndrome like necrosis with bite-based venom seems like the obvious choice for killing the dwarf, but how do you make them rise as undead?
As to your actual question, unfortunately, I have no answer, but best of luck to you.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.
Pages: [1] 2