Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Graves?  (Read 1650 times)

Eidre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Graves?
« on: March 14, 2014, 02:38:41 pm »

Stupid dwarf trick...it occurs to me that it would be possible to dig graves (channel), place a one-space corpse stockpile (dwarves only) in the bottom of it, wait until a corpse was 'stored' in it, floor it over, then place an engraved slab on top with the deceased's name.  All the functionality of rock coffins, but many times the work, micromanagement, and irritation!  What could be more dwarfy?

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Graves?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 02:43:54 pm »

Wouldn't it make more sense to construct a wood coffin, inter the dwarf in it, deconstruct the coffin (do bodies stay in deconstructed coffins?), designate the grave pit as a dump and toss it in, then cave in a soil layer overtop, then place the marker? Even more work, and with added possibility of horrific accidents from the cave in dust.

vicwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 02:44:23 pm »

The problem would be that the corpse stockpile will actualy take any corpse, other than that bothering so much to bury a dwarf is useless unless that dwarf is a war hero.

YHVH

• Bay Watcher
  • Batshit Insane God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 04:06:04 pm »

Wouldn't it make more sense to construct a wood coffin, inter the dwarf in it, deconstruct the coffin (do bodies stay in deconstructed coffins?), designate the grave pit as a dump and toss it in, then cave in a soil layer overtop, then place the marker? Even more work, and with added possibility of horrific accidents from the cave in dust.
Switch dwarves with elves and toss the coffin in a volcano and you are good.
So, now I have a moat filled with magma AND patrolled by ghosts. It is quite nice actually.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 04:27:53 pm »

I tried something similar a while ago, and found I had to make the graves two spaces long. One space is a ramp, the other a coffin. Above, the headstone goes over the coffin, while a floor goes over the ramp. The resulting graveyard ends up looking very Zelda. And as long as you're doing that, you might as well make them tombs and assign them out.

Eidre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 04:30:30 pm »

From recent experience, deconstructed coffins dump their contents on the ground...I was making an attempt to move my graveyard from the near-surface one from early embark to a deeper one with full engravings and statuary and made the mistake of mass-designating them for removal.  After the third ghost popped in a matter of days (game time) up I checked the old graveyard and was horrified to see that it was littered with discarded bodies...it took months (game time) to get all of the hauling jobs done to get everyone back in their relocated coffins.

Long story short (too late), it would be easier to channel, construct the wooden coffin in the bottom of the hole (can this be done without an adjacent space on the same z-level for the worker-dwarf to stand?  If not, the hole would have to be 2 tiles instead of 1, after which the second tile is filled with a wall while standing on the coffin), then floor it over when it becomes occupied.  The engraved slab in this case is redundant (the coffin already prevents ghost infestation), but should be there for completeness, and so you can see the grave from the z-level above.

It's too bad there's no way to fill a hole with soil or gravel; that would really complete the experience.  That, and accidentally digging up from the z-level below and having an honored dwarf carcass fall on your head.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 04:45:03 pm »

I tried something similar a while ago, and found I had to make the graves two spaces long. One space is a ramp, the other a coffin. Above, the headstone goes over the coffin, while a floor goes over the ramp. The resulting graveyard ends up looking very Zelda. And as long as you're doing that, you might as well make them tombs and assign them out.

I've done the exact same procedure on my last two above ground forts.  Neat grave yards are, well... neat.  I think it's a more appropriate alternative to building mausoleums anyway.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 09:07:33 pm »

Heh, i find putting corpses in free-standing stone chests much dwarvenlier than dumping them in a ditch.

I used this type of burial to get rid of dead cats and other unburiable pets: wait for the corpse to land in the refuse pile, then forbid it and remove the stockpile designation in the tile, order a channel dug in the spot. This drops the corpse into the pit that is created. Then simply floor the pit over (optionally make sure no dwarf is caught in the pit along with the corpse). Ta-da! Corpse out of sight and "buried" without a coffin. If you disposed of dwarfs like this, you'd want to erect a slab as headstone.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 10:54:11 pm »

Wait, people don't just create mass graves and cover them up when their filled?
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 11:07:49 pm »

If you actually want to bury them, cast their tomb in obsidian.

I usually reserve the right for my greatest warriors and smiths.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 06:47:19 pm »

I tend to create mass graves underground in hollowed out mineral veins, then seal them away. Dwarves I admire but who aren't necessarily heros will be interred in gold veins, or something similar.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 11:18:22 am »

I've done the exact same procedure on my last two above ground forts.  Neat grave yards are, well... neat.  I think it's a more appropriate alternative to building mausoleums anyway.
I've done this too, though it's a little micro managment-intensive.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 12:53:52 pm »

I use slabs and quantum single tile stockpiles adjacent the dining room.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Roostre

• Bay Watcher
  • DF addict since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 02:56:15 pm »

I prefer committing dead, non-notable dwarves to engraved mausoleums, placing each sarcophagus into a notch in the wall. I make such rooms into meeting areas, allowing idle workers to go there and contemplate the deeds stupid, pointless deaths of their fallen brothers.

Dwarves more deserving of a good "burial" tend to have magma pumped into their tombs after being laid in them. The destruction of their coffin causes them to return as ghosts, which I allow to happen. For what's a more dwarfy honor than to achieve apotheosis after death and arbitrarily make the game harder?
Quote from: Ronnie James Dio
Beware; you've found the answer.