Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you like the shaft of enlightenment(BUG)?

Yes.
- 4 (25%)
No.
- 6 (37.5%)
Something else...
- 6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: baby born on hospital and walk around than die of hungry/thirsty  (Read 1307 times)

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My soldiers(army) are random dwarf.So, mix male and female but female most.
I train my soldier, drop 3 Z level to 10 training spear.
And they go into hospital.
baby born on hospital and walk around than die of hungry/thirsty.
Why baby walk around??
How to save baby?????
Sorry for Grammar.

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: baby born on hospital and walk around than die of hungry/thirsty
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 02:05:24 pm »

Probably his mother was too injured to tend to him (the first thing that happen when babies are born is their mothers interrupt current job to "seek infant"). So she didn't seek him and he just rolled around for a while, before starving to death due to not having a mother to leech nutrients from.
How to save the babies: Stop dropping their mothers onto spears so they're conscious when they give birth.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:07:17 pm by Cattani »

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 02:07:33 pm »

Probably his mother was too injured to tend to him (the first thing that happen when babies are born is their mothers interrupt current job to "seek infant"). So she didn't seek him and he just rolled around for a while, before starving to death due to not having a mother to leach nutrient from.
How to save the babies: Stop dropping their mothers onto spears so they're conscious when they give birth.
Yes, right Probably that good idea..
Sorry for Grammar.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 02:07:53 pm »

i wonder if the shaft of enlightenment will still work in the next version

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 02:09:23 pm »

Yep, that is what happened.  Babies are special and they do not eat or drink normal things.  Only the mother can stop a baby's hunger/thirst, so if the mother can't get to the baby, the baby will usually die.  Sometimes you can get lucky though and it will "grow up" to a child before it dies.  Then, the regular food and drink will save it.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 02:10:51 pm »

i wonder if the shaft of enlightenment will still work in the next version
keep eye on that.
I like that bug very very much. :o
Good bug I ever seen. 8)
It generate A lot of FUN.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:19:10 pm by Philii »
Sorry for Grammar.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 03:04:04 pm »

I always get frustrated by this bug/feature. Everytime it happens I rack my brain for legitimate in-game ways to save the baby, even though I already know it's impossible. So, ok, I try to get into a dwarven mindset and think of a way to utilize or weaponize the baby. This always ends badly...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 04:39:33 pm »

In-game, there's nothing you can do about starving babies, apart from prevention. Don't enlighten married women, keep them out of pitched battles, don't give them particularly risky jobs (or keep them in safe zones via burrow). And if they end up in the hospital, try your best to ensure a speedy treatment. A baby can survive a bit over a month unattended, two months if it gets lucky and receives water once.

Modifying the dwarf species raws to include NO_EAT and NO_DRINK (and possibly NO_SLEEP) will save a baby, but will of course also weird up the whole fort, because no-one else will need to eat or drink (or sleep), either.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 04:32:54 am »

In-game, there's nothing you can do about starving babies, apart from prevention. Don't enlighten married women, keep them out of pitched battles, don't give them particularly risky jobs (or keep them in safe zones via burrow). And if they end up in the hospital, try your best to ensure a speedy treatment. A baby can survive a bit over a month unattended, two months if it gets lucky and receives water once.

Modifying the dwarf species raws to include NO_EAT and NO_DRINK (and possibly NO_SLEEP) will save a baby, but will of course also weird up the whole fort, because no-one else will need to eat or drink (or sleep), either.

Interesting, I didn't realize a baby could be given water. I thought only its mom could tend to it. That means it should actually be possible to create a vampire baby. Hmmmm, I like that idea.

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 01:30:48 pm »

another baby die like that again..
but that is better than soldier carry baby in battle.
Sorry for Grammar.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 05:00:39 pm »

Am I like the Shaft of Enlightenment? Well, I suppose I'm tall and I also have a spike protruding from the bottom, but that's where similarities end.
For one thing, I don't have a history of putting married women into hospitals. Not yet, anyway :P

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 08:55:37 am »

Yep, that is what happened.  Babies are special and they do not eat or drink normal things.  Only the mother can stop a baby's hunger/thirst, so if the mother can't get to the baby, the baby will usually die.  Sometimes you can get lucky though and it will "grow up" to a child before it dies.  Then, the regular food and drink will save it.

I had this happen. the mother died to something--vampire, maybe--and babby was fine.  it crawled about and I was sure I was going to lose it.  then the magic words "Urist McBaby has grown to become Urist McChild" and zoom, off he went to the food and booze stockpiles.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Philii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 03:06:54 pm »

I had this happen. the mother died to something--vampire, maybe--and babby was fine.  it crawled about and I was sure I was going to lose it.  then the magic words "Urist McBaby has grown to become Urist McChild" and zoom, off he went to the food and booze stockpiles.
He is Lucky...
Sorry for Grammar.

Drewigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 12:48:27 am »

Heh...HEH...Ha Ha.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *bangs desk with fist* HAHAHAHHAAHHAHA!!!!!
Strike the earth!