Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Satellite Imagery of DF Worlds (v1.3.3 - Now fully compatible with 0.40.x!)  (Read 42741 times)

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Satellite Imagery of DF Worlds (v1.3 - Harder, better, faster, etc.)
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2014, 12:03:43 pm »

Update! GitHub and DFFD have both been updated. I tested it and it should now work with the new naming scheme. Tell me if there are any problems!
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile

So I tried this out the other day but thought it might have been doing to much at once.    So I tried again now and I noticed it seems to get stuck on the  GIMP finding spot.

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I tried this out the other day but thought it might have been doing to much at once.    So I tried again now and I noticed it seems to get stuck on the  GIMP finding spot.

The first time it runs, or the first time after a while, it can take up to like 5 or even 10 minutes to find GIMP. I'm really not sure why it takes so long; it'd need a bunch of debugging. But usually it will eventually find it. If it doesn't it will probably notify you.

EDIT: If GIMP is installed in a nonstandard location or particularly if its user data folder is not found, it will throw a "not found" error.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 05:13:03 pm by CharonM72 »
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It seems to create a file called "Goto" that is 0Kb after I run it and it completes.

I'll try again I did just repair my GImp install (It was in the standard place.)

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It seems to create a file called "Goto" that is 0Kb after I run it and it completes.

I'll try again I did just repair my GImp install (It was in the standard place.)

I have no idea why it would do that. Where is the file created? What does the console say when you run it?

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It puts the "Goto" file in the folder I have all the  SatMapMakerstuff in (and the images from the world.) And the command doesn't seem to say anything it just closes and I have a "GOTO" file

Okay so I ran it via Command line so the console wouldn't close when it ended.   and I got this in the console
Code: [Select]
This program also requires the SMM-data folder to be in the same directory.

Press any key to continue . . .

Processing map exports from region3.
Found map images.
Found texture files.
Searching for GIMP (this may take a minute)...
:TheEnd was unexpected at this time.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:47:57 pm by Kaelem Gaen »

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It puts the "Goto" file in the folder I have all the  SatMapMakerstuff in (and the images from the world.) And the command doesn't seem to say anything it just closes and I have a "GOTO" file

Okay so I ran it via Command line so the console wouldn't close when it ended.   and I got this in the console

Found map images.
Found texture files.
:TheEnd was unexpected at this time.

That error is definitely in the GetGimpInstallLocationSMM.cmd file in the SMM_data folder. I made a quick change and uploaded a new version of that file to github (link in first post); could you download the latest version of that file, replace the old one with it, and try running again? It may still throw an error but it will be a different error.
There's also a very good chance the error is due to not being able to find GIMP. Fixing GIMP may well solve it.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

okay this time it threw this error.

Found map images.
Found texture files.
:EOF was unexpected at this time.

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

okay this time it threw this error.

Found map images.
Found texture files.
:EOF was unexpected at this time.

Well... that's not helpful. Check to make sure there's a GIMP executable (gimp-console-2.8.exe or whatever version) at %programfiles% (x86)\GIMP-2.0\bin\ (orange parts are optional), and also a .gimp-2.8 (or whatever version) folder in %userprofile%. If there's not then the GIMP check will fail.

If it's still broken, try opening cmd and running GetGimpInstallLocationSMM.cmd directly. When it asks for you to provide GIMP's location just press enter. A whole bunch of stuff should print on the screen. Let it run until it finishes, which could take 5-10 minutes at most, and when it's done select and copy all the output and paste it here (in a spoiler). To select and copy from command prompt, right click the window and choose the first option, then drag to select, then right-clicking in the selection should do it.

If you get really fed up with this and you just want the map maker to work, you can manually put your GIMP's location in the code, if you can decipher the batch files.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes there's GIMP on the computer at those locations.  Well in my case it's \Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\  is it possible it doesn't check for the dashless location for an install?

I'll run the cmd in the Command Window and grab the output. 
The *'s are not part of the username just what I replaced it with

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:44:34 pm by Kaelem Gaen »

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes there's GIMP on the computer at those locations.  Well in my case it's \Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\  is it possible it doesn't check for the dashless location for an install?

I'll run the cmd in the Command Window and grab the output. 
The *'s are not part of the username just what I replaced it with

Sorry for the long delay. Sorta in the process of moving.
Looks like it found GIMP. So the question is, why is it not working within the SMM script? Looks to me like it's an issue with quotation marks and whitespace. I'll try to get this fixed as soon as I can.

Isharia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried doing this within GIMP itself, since the batch files seemed to not do anything, so I manually moved the script into the folder.

I got this as an error though:

It appears to do all of the processes, and as it flashes between commands, it pops up when it says gimp-levels

Here is the output using the Fantasy Mapmaker Photoshop script though, which does still seem to work outside of placing civilizations:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:12:44 pm by Isharia »

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried doing this within GIMP itself, since the batch files seemed to not do anything, so I manually moved the script into the folder.

I got this as an error though:

It appears to do all of the processes, and as it flashes between commands, it pops up when it says gimp-levels

Here is the output using the Fantasy Mapmaker Photoshop script though, which does still seem to work outside of placing civilizations:

Hi Isharia, sorry but yeah, it looks like there's currently a major bug in the script. I'll try to get it sorted when I can, recently I've been incredibly busy. Feel free to download an old version off GitHub in the meantime, those should still work. This one should be fine, I think.

Isharia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You are fine :D  I'm just procrastinating with regard to stuff I should be doing.  I  think these are fascinating programs, and I want to get back into world-building and such, and this gives me realistic landscapes as a foundation.  More or less experimenting with which version I like the most.

Still an error of some sort, but it made it further than 1.3.1 (as in the batch scripts did something)  Had to edit the image filepath part to make it read the images (basically eliminating the extra -* after the abbreviations before the .bmp extension)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 12:15:27 am by Isharia »

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You are fine :D  I'm just procrastinating with regard to stuff I should be doing.  I  think these are fascinating programs, and I want to get back into world-building and such, and this gives me realistic landscapes as a foundation.  More or less experimenting with which version I like the most.

Still an error of some sort, but it made it further than 1.3.1 (as in the batch scripts did something)  Had to edit the image filepath part to make it read the images (basically eliminating the extra -* after the abbreviations before the .bmp extension)

Did it work? If it didn't then feel free to try another version, haha. A bunch of filenames change over the versions, so you should redownload the whole package for each one and not just the scripts. The current version's bug I think is related to some tiny semantic issue that I can't quite pin down but I'll get it working sooner or later.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5