Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No more migrants....  (Read 1308 times)

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No more migrants....
« on: March 13, 2014, 07:44:09 am »

My fort is 12 years old and has 210 dwarfs (50 kids). Se pop_cap is set to 300. But...the last 3 years in the row I get the "Your fortress has not attraced any migrants this year"....
My wealth is high and I have like 300 bedroms...why won't they come?
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
Re: No more migrants....
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 07:49:53 am »

Too many dead in the units menu, not enough population in the mountainhomes, too many recent deaths, etc...
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 07:56:52 am »

Look at your (u)nits list and add up the totals for each section - if the resulting number is greater than 3000, then you will never get any more migrants unless you use DFHack to remove old and unimportant dead units (using the "fix/dead-units" command).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 09:29:51 am »

3000 units in twelve years seems a bit much.
"has attracted no migrants" seems to be caused by insufficient wealth, as far as i can tell. This would suggest (if your fort actually _is_ wealthy) that the wealth wasn't reported to the mountainhome, which is done by the caravan. Has the last dwarven caravan come to harm - wiped out by goblins, misfire of the magma defence, <fill in the blank> ?

There's also the extremely rare case where part of a caravan gets stuck in limbo - i had one case of a wagon getting blocked, possibly by a sprouted tree, just off the map proper, and another case where a horse pulling a stuck wagon ended up in solid rock when the wagon broke. In both cases, the unit stayed loaded but untouchable and the related caravan was treated as never having left the site.

P.S.: The horse could be untangled by removing the walls that kept it contained (it went insane instantly, after two years of "your fort attracted no migrants this season"), the stuck off-screen wagon never cleared up and i never got another human caravan.

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 02:05:55 pm »

Thanks guys.

Will do the math-count for 3000 units. Could be it.
The wealth is like 2.000.000 and i havn't messed up any human or dwarven caravans (only the elfs...every year). I also have a queen since 4-5 years back.
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!