Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Keeping track of minecarts?  (Read 414 times)

coralline

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Keeping track of minecarts?
« on: March 11, 2014, 04:01:04 pm »

In the latest version, I've been experimenting with quantum stockpiles which are minecart-based.

When I assign a vehicle to a given track (or, rather, to a stop), I can't tell if that cart has been previously assigned elsewhere. Sometimes, then, my dorfs end up hauling a minecart from a different---and previously assigned---stockpile stop, so that the other one stops working and I have to make a new haul "route" and stop all over again.

Is there a way to assign *non*-used minecarts to a route/stop/stockpile, or am I missing some other trick?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping track of minecarts?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 04:12:06 pm »

The "pick vehicle" interface already shows which route a cart is assigned to, if any. If an assigned cart is taken out of its original route, all you need to do is assign another cart. This is assuming you use the in-game interface to handle routes.

You cannot assign multiple carts to a single route and routes with multiple stops expect the carts to actually move between stops, so if you want to use route/track stops to feed quantum stockpiles, you really have to designate one route per stockpile, having only a single stop.

coralline

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping track of minecarts?
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 04:55:04 pm »

Thank you, Larix!

Yes, I've been experimenting more. When I get to the assign-vehicle interface (the in-game one), there is *no* indication that a minecart is previously-assigned. There's just a list of the ones I've produced, and I have to semi-randomly choose one.

coralline

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping track of minecarts? [perhaps solved]
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 05:03:41 pm »

Ah-hah! As per usual, posting a question somehow makes the answer clearer. I may have been somehow removing old routes each time I'd make a new one (stupid, stupid, stupid), though I swear the old ones still worked... In any case, I think the previously-assigned routes (and, therefore, associated minecarts) are showing up now.