Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Do donuts need to have holes to be classified as donuts  (Read 20762 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do donuts need to have holes to be classified as donuts
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2014, 05:32:00 pm »

We have a local bakery that has really great donuts. The plain old chocolate-dip is the best. They come in regular size and Mega Donut size.

They also sell maple bacon donuts with actual bits of bacon on top. I tried one and it tastes about like you'd expect.

I'm in Canada so there's also Tim Hortons for whenever I want quantity (and selection) over quality.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2014, 05:38:23 pm »

Here in Poland we have 'pączki' which is deep-fried sweet dough ball, fist-sized, with a jam or marmalade filling inside. The most common (and cheapest) ones are with rosehip or strawberry jam.

And we have 'Fat Thursday'. It's a thursday before Ash Wednesday, thusly a week before the Easter Lent starts. During that Thursday, the bakeries make a ton of 'pączki' and sell them cheap. I think the tradition stems from the time when bakeries had to get rid of all the lard and jam before Lent, so they began making these.

If you know what you're doing, you can get up to 10 'pączkis' for less than...

* Haspen grabs a converter...

Approximately 3.5 USD v:
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2014, 05:41:41 pm »

Those are bagels, from what I've heard.
I know what bagels are. I consume large quantities of them with a variety of fillings. No, I want sweet, sweet donuts with my bacon. I also want bacon with my bagels, but that's a different matter entirely. Bacon and crumpets sounds good, actually...
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2014, 06:48:07 pm »

Here in Poland we have 'pączki' which is deep-fried sweet dough ball, fist-sized, with a jam or marmalade filling inside. The most common (and cheapest) ones are with rosehip or strawberry jam.

And we have 'Fat Thursday'. It's a thursday before Ash Wednesday, thusly a week before the Easter Lent starts. During that Thursday, the bakeries make a ton of 'pączki' and sell them cheap. I think the tradition stems from the time when bakeries had to get rid of all the lard and jam before Lent, so they began making these.

Approximately 3.5 USD v:
They...actually do the same thing here, but it's Fat Tuesday, not Thursday. For one week, it's like, "Fucking pączkis everywhere! Four hundred for a dollar!" and then you don't see them again for a year.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2014, 05:24:17 am »

I really like this thread *_*  Math math math

Okay, and on the actual topic of discussion, where the fuck do you guys get reasonable doughnuts?  The ones I've had around here were all from Krispy Kreme or Dunkin' Donuts, and so bad I pretty much decided not to eat them any more because I philosophically am Pro Filled Doughnut but then all the fillings seem to be made out of some sort of soft plastic or something, because that sure as hell is not jelly.

Help?

Wha...What's wrong with Krispy Kreme? They used to be amazing. Or maybe it's just that I don't like jelly doughnuts, so I don't eat them, and thus don't wind up experiencing their synthetic ooze.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2014, 05:31:52 am »

They...actually do the same thing here, but it's Fat Tuesday, not Thursday. For one week, it's like, "Fucking pączkis everywhere! Four hundred for a dollar!" and then you don't see them again for a year.
[/quote]

:O

* Haspen inscribes MZ as his american cousin of sorts.

* Haspen also hi-fives!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2014, 07:19:54 am »

-snip-
We have Fettdonnerstag/Altweiber, basically the same thing - but here, the women storm the city hall. It's traditional~
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2014, 07:49:46 am »

Approximately 3.5 USD v:

[cynicmode] Also, the quality of those drops by like 50% and people form lines that look like throwbacks to the finest traditions of Soviet sphere of influence >.>
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2014, 09:26:56 am »

The best donut ever.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2014, 10:04:08 am »

Approximately 3.5 USD v:

Yeah, where I live there's about two weeks where the bakeries and supermarkets all have loads of pączkis for sale at very low prices, and then they're gone as soon as they appeared. It's quite sad actually, though it would be much worse if it only lasted a day.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2014, 01:29:54 pm »

I believe that a proper donut must have some sort of cavity, whether filled or not. Beyond this, I'm not sure.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2014, 01:33:56 pm »

... even if the cavity was filled with dough?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2014, 01:34:10 pm »

I believe that a proper donut must have some sort of cavity, whether filled or not. Beyond this, I'm not sure.
All things have cavities.

Space between atoms.

(hey, its the only way to explain the braided doughnut shape of every doughnut until about 150 years ago)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2014, 01:39:43 pm »

To clarify based on the above criticisms of my definition:

1. The cavity must be filled with a different medium (jelly, air) than the main donut body.
2. Its width make up at least one third (approximate baseline) of the donut's horizontal diameter.

Thus those nasty-ass tiny 'donuts' you get fifty of in a box are still excluded, because the hole in them is too small; however, the space between atoms would suffice for a hypothetical three-atom-wide donut.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2014, 09:25:45 pm »

Okay, and on the actual topic of discussion, where the fuck do you guys get reasonable doughnuts?  The ones I've had around here were all from Krispy Kreme or Dunkin' Donuts, and so bad I pretty much decided not to eat them any more because I philosophically am Pro Filled Doughnut but then all the fillings seem to be made out of some sort of soft plastic or something, because that sure as hell is not jelly.

Help?
The trick is to find a good, local place. Around here, I prefer Donut Crown. So far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to be a chain, I only remember having ever seen 1 employee, and it closes by noon. For a local place to succeed in paying their rent while selling only donuts and such, they pretty much have to be good.
Chain donuts tend to be abysmal; KK being the worst, filling one's mouth with a taste that I can't imagine is too different from eating candle wax.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11