Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Do donuts need to have holes to be classified as donuts  (Read 20758 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Do donuts need to have holes to be classified as donuts
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2014, 08:20:44 am »

C) if you're going to link me to the wikipedia page where 4-dimensional torus(es?) are portrayed, I think its time we start talking about 4 dimensional donuts.

Why stop at 4?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2014, 08:21:44 am »

I cant believe i have only been on bay12 for a few days and one of my threads did ¨this¨
I officially love this website and its community
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2014, 11:34:35 am »

Welcome to Bay 12. Most of us are intelligent nerds. All of us are at least slightly nuts.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2014, 11:56:54 am »

Welcome to Bay 12. Most of us are intelligent nerds. All of us are at least slightly nuts.
About a quarter of us are mentally ill. We put that to good use.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2014, 11:58:30 am »

That's why we're about 1 page a way from beginning to actually hash out the details of a store that sells only non-Euclidean pastries.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2014, 12:00:29 pm »

That's why we're about 1 page a way from beginning to actually hash out the details of a store that sells only non-Euclidean pastries.
The Klein donut, convergent cookies, non-continuous cake...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2014, 01:06:54 pm »

Although don't we already exist in 4 dimensions and therefore we already have 4 dimensional donuts?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2014, 01:12:45 pm »

I think they're talking about spatial dimensions. Time as a fourth dimension would work differently. Although if that's what they meant, then yes, but you don't want to see a 4th dimensional donut after it's been digested.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2014, 01:16:59 pm »

And, of course, doughnuts exist in the 5th dimension (probability).
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2014, 01:18:16 pm »

Would a donut that existed in 4 spatial dimensions still have a single hole?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2014, 01:22:56 pm »

And, of course, doughnuts exist in the 5th dimension (probability).
I ... are we still talking about theoretical spatial dimensions?

Why do you think probability is a metadimension and not just a human construct like honor and justice?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2014, 03:29:09 pm »

The Klein donut, convergent cookies, non-continuous cake...
"The Chef Ouroboros: World's Finest in Non-Euclidean Foods since [TIME IS A NON-ORIENTABLE SURFACE]."
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2014, 03:31:23 pm »

The remaining three-quarters are considered honorary nutcases.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2014, 03:37:15 pm »

Why do you think probability is a metadimension and not just a human construct like honor and justice?

Not completely sure what you meant by this question and am too lazy to look at the previous page so I will just say what I think.

WARNING: The following is mostly opinion and ideas and as such has no cited sources.

I think that probability is a human construct meant to aid in guessing what will happen. If something is more probable, that means that there is a higher chance of it happening. However, in our universe, only one of the options will ever happen and is the option that would have happened no matter what if the circumstances were the same. If you toss a coin, you might say that there is a 50% chance of it landing on heads or tails. However, (I believe that) if the exact cicrumstance that you tossed the coin in were recreated (forces pulling on coin, angle of toss, etc) then it would always land on the same side. Probability is merely a means of guessing what the result will be.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2014, 09:21:34 pm »

Opinion on probability, and not even as well phrased
Humans must always look at the future with some amount of limited knowledge and uncertainty-- with the amount of variables in existence, we can very rarely say with certainty something is going to happen. As such, what might happen is essentially the same thing as what will happen, since the variables of the world will never be very exactly duplicated. As such, we can never tell if something WOULD happen the same way or a different way with the exact same conditions, since the exact same conditions will never exist. One couldn't tell if the world was destined to run the way it is, or if it's made from chance, because the state of conditions being exactly, exactly the same as another instance is not a state that can be reasonably reached, especially since probability tends to deal with variable conditions in and of themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11