Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 43

Author Topic: The Cloud - One Small Step...  (Read 41206 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - Mindgames
« Reply #390 on: May 13, 2014, 11:07:08 am »

((I have a really funny image in my head of a robot chasing around bugs on a spaceship, sort of a futuristic Tom and Jerry.))

Clean up the mold to try and eliminate a food source
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 13, 2014, 06:39:10 pm »

"Pfft. Guns."
I point my speakers down and go with 8 hertz and 120dB to propel myself upward as I have no legs to jump with.

((Sound does not work that way, unfortunately. :P))
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 13, 2014, 07:00:10 pm »

((Why not? I would be generating a wave of force from a single source. That should provide thrust. Even if it wouldn't work on earth we're in zero-g so any amount of thrust should lift me off the ground.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 13, 2014, 07:59:00 pm »

((Why not? I would be generating a wave of force from a single source. That should provide thrust. Even if it wouldn't work on earth we're in zero-g so any amount of thrust should lift me off the ground.))

((Phonons have so little momentum it would take an impossibly large powerplant to generate any noticeable level of thrust.

This is zero G, you don't even need to do that. You can just jump off))

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 13, 2014, 08:08:01 pm »

((I don't have legs I have treads. Also the dislocated air should provide some thrust.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 13, 2014, 10:39:04 pm »

((I don't have legs I have treads. Also the dislocated air should provide some thrust.))

((The problem is that sound is vibration. It will push you, yes, but then the pressure waves just make you fall back into your original position. That's how waves work. See the graph of waves in 2d below:

Sound is transverse, so it's a bit different, but the underlying principles are the same. Air molecules don't move straight back, they move back and forth and the wave travels along them.

Also, consider the design of a speaker: To make repeated sound waves, the speaker has to move back, sucking air back into the speaker before pushing it out again. Since the speaker isn't doing any net work in an oscillatory motion when it is always in contact with the air, it is very unlikely that any amount of thrust you can actually produce will be meaningful at all. You are much better off using fans.

Since you have treads, you'll just have to get creative. It is assumed they have magnets in them so you can still climb up the shaft, but if you want a faster method you can try something like building a small ramp and shutting off the magnets, or using a spring.))

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 14, 2014, 09:54:16 am »

((What if I angle them at each other so when the waves hit they will spike as shown here.))
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:58:09 am by The Froggy Ninja »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 14, 2014, 10:01:01 am »

((That won't work. You merely increase the intensity of the movement, but that also increases the intensity of the downward movement.)

Sound is an oscillation.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 14, 2014, 10:19:36 am »

((Fine))
I punch the ground as hard as I can with both fists.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 16, 2014, 07:04:26 pm »

((Bump for Avis. I would normally wait a week but I think I'll have to bump more often. We kind of need him though to continue the RTD, since we are short on players))
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:33:29 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 18, 2014, 05:39:16 pm »

((Bump for Avis. I would normally wait a week but I think I'll have to bump more often. We kind of need him though to continue the RTD, since we are short on players))
((I am incredibly sorry for not posting. It's just that I'm having the Russian equivalent of finals in a few weeks, and every time I play RTDs instead of studying, I feel horribly guilty. It's currently 3:00 AM here, so I'll post tomorrow. Sorry.))
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 18, 2014, 07:06:37 pm »

((I am incredibly sorry for not posting. It's just that I'm having the Russian equivalent of finals in a few weeks, and every time I play RTDs instead of studying, I feel horribly guilty. It's currently 3:00 AM here, so I'll post tomorrow. Sorry.))

((It's no problem, we all have schedules that take priority over games. Thanks for letting us know, and I wish you luck!))

EDIT: I am afraid I am going to have to put this game on hold for the time being, at least until Avis shows signs of life. Three players is far below my desired player count, and I don't see a reason to run an RtD with that few players. Sorry for everyone who put time into this!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 04:57:29 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - On Hold
« Reply #402 on: May 25, 2014, 05:18:35 am »

((Okay, so my definition of "tomorrow" is rather flexible. Double sorry.))

Anton hums an old tune as he works.

-Любо, братцы, любо...

Attempt to gain access to the other ship's videomonitorig system, if it's still functional. Try to see what's going on at their bridge.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - On Hold
« Reply #403 on: May 25, 2014, 11:23:05 am »

((HE LIVES!
I'll update when I get home.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - Introduction
« Reply #404 on: May 25, 2014, 01:12:59 pm »

The enemy ship awaits a response.

Einstein's Cross, Enceladus (Orbit)
Friday, Feb 6th, 2398
20:43 GMT
Mission Timer: 3d 17.75h

DATABANK

Current Inventory:
Voxels: 3970
Steel: 58
Circuits: 50
Water: 31999/32000 tons (DeltaV: 4220.238 km/s)

Total Ship Mass: 31999
Structural Mass: 18000
Cargo Mass: 3970 + 60 + 50 (Max 20000)

Structural Materials: Aluminum, Steel, Titanium Alloy, Polymers, Carbon Fiber

Construction Catalog:
Transmitter Unit (Needed for commander bodies) - 5 Circuits.
Engineer Body - 50 Voxels, 5 Circuits, 10 Steel
Froggy Engineer Body (Advanced heavy crowd control unit. Moves on magnetic treads and has reinforced structure/limbs. Equipped with mining laser and dual high-intensity speakers.) - 80 Voxels, 15 Circuits, 10 Steel
Mining Drone (Can be tasked to Mining Rig for increased production. Can also explore caves.) - 80 Voxels, 5 Circuits, 10 Structural Materials, 2 Steel
Mining Rig (Automated. Can be left on a planet.) - 80 Voxels, 35 Circuits, 50 Structural Materials, 15 Steel

Cloud Catalog: Type (% produced) - Cost
Standard Nanite (100%) - 100 Voxels, 10 Circuits

Cloud Storage: (Max 3000%)
-200% Standard Nanites

Body Storage: (Max 12)
-1x 'Boomer' (Engineer variant)
-3x Engineer

Spoiler: Proximity (click to show/hide)

Avis-Mergulus AKA Anton "Tosha" Teremnoi
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cloud Status (click to show/hide)

Controlling the security network... it's a gambit. On one hand, the ship's crew may have opted not to encrypt their signals to save on processing time. On the other hand, if it's encrypted then your boarding team will need to recover some information in order to decode the broadcast. On the other hand, it could simply be a wired network, in which case you'd need to fabricate some sort of transmitter.

[6+1/7] You drop your jaw in sheer cynical horror. Virtually everything on the ship runs on unprotected signals. You easily snag a feed of the bridge, revealing a crew of about four, floating in zero G, with no CN uniforms in sight. The man doing the speaking, in fact, looks entirely unprofessional, wearing a bandana and eyepatch just as a typical pirate of old legends would, sitting in a wooden chair. This is telling.

Two crewmen float out of an elevator in the back of the room, each carrying three guns. [1] You don't recognize the make and model of the weapons from the feed.

Samarkand AKA Felicia Hasting

If only you could fit inside the vents... getting up there is also actually a problem because this section of the ship has artificial gravity. [5+1/7] You find a stepladder in a supply closet, as well as some cleaning chemicals. The problem, of course, is that if you got chemicals in the vents, it would contaminate the entire section of the ship! The ventilation only allows you to cut off specific rooms, giving you minimal control over the whole system.

You hear something coming through the airway. Something that sounds like dust in the wind... a cloud of something fine.
As it draws closer, you hear a voice projected through:
"Ah! Why hello! I just wanted to mention that I felt it would be prudent to kickstart production of some nanites. You'll find them in the nanite storage."

Comrade P. AKA Hamilton Teromo

[4] You pick up a Colten A93, a fairly versatile pistol used during your days of service. You never used one yourself, however, but this body should make adjusting to the recoil a non-issue.

You start walking up the elevator shaft, thanks to no gravity. However, it seems that Dave is stuck in the lower levels of the shaft!

The Froggy Ninja AKA David "Dave" Steel

[1] You punch the ground at the bottom of the shaft, propelling yourself upward. You start spinning, unable to control your motion, and your treads fail to latch on to any suitable surfaces. Your right speaker becomes tangled in a mess of cables on the wall.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:22:40 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 43