Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 43

Author Topic: The Cloud - One Small Step...  (Read 41210 times)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - Introduction
« Reply #375 on: May 05, 2014, 08:17:00 am »

Leave instruments somewhere outside the airlock from Einstein's Cross side. Then BOARD THAT DAMN SHIP. Rush through the corridors to the bridge.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 05, 2014, 05:58:41 pm »

LASORS ARE ALWAYS THE ANSWER!!!!!!

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 06, 2014, 08:40:25 pm »

Bump. Also:

((About your 240 dB speakers... have a look at this site.
According to that source, 240 dB is the pressure created by one kiloton of TNT at 1000 feet distance. At 3 feet, I've calculated it to be over a million psi. I don't think your speakers can survive that, let alone the ship. :P Heck, 1 psi will level a building if applied evenly.

I would go with about 160 dB at about ten meters, as that will severely incapacitate a human, blur vision, make them nauseous. This would be about 180 dB at point blank, if I'm calculating correctly.))
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:42:18 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - Post-Introductory Phase
« Reply #378 on: May 08, 2014, 04:48:02 pm »

Attempt to message the pirate ship.

-This is the Central Navy ship Harmony. You are guilty of piracy. You are outnumbered and you have nowhere to run. Surrender and your lives will be spared.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 08, 2014, 08:36:21 pm »

Einstein's Cross, Low Orbit, Titan
Friday, Feb 6th, 2398
20:15 GMT
Mission Timer: 3d 17.25h

DATABANK

Current Inventory:
Voxels: 3970
Steel: 58
Circuits: 50
Water: 31999/32000 tons (DeltaV: 4220.238 km/s)

Total Ship Mass: 31999
Structural Mass: 18000
Cargo Mass: 3970 + 60 + 50 (Max 20000)

Structural Materials: Aluminum, Steel, Titanium Alloy, Polymers, Carbon Fiber

Construction Catalog:
Transmitter Unit (Needed for commander bodies) - 5 Circuits.
Engineer Body - 50 Voxels, 5 Circuits, 10 Steel
Froggy Engineer Body - 80 Voxels, 15 Circuits, 10 Steel
Mining Drone (Can be tasked to Mining Rig for increased production. Can also explore caves.) - 80 Voxels, 5 Circuits, 10 Structural Materials, 2 Steel
Mining Rig (Automated. Can be left on a planet.) - 80 Voxels, 35 Circuits, 50 Structural Materials, 15 Steel

Cloud Catalog: Type (% produced) - Cost
Standard Nanite (100%) - 100 Voxels, 10 Circuits

Cloud Storage: (Max 3000%)
-200% Standard Nanites

Body Storage: (Max 12)
-1x 'Boomer' (Engineer variant)
-3x Engineer

Spoiler: Proximity (click to show/hide)

Avis-Mergulus AKA Anton "Tosha" Teremnoi
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cloud Status (click to show/hide)

You send a directed message at the enemy vessel... while doing so, you discover that the technology common on ships decades ago is still in use today. In fact, the encryption panel looks exactly the same as the type you are used to from your earlier days of piloting.

You actually get a response! It plays through the speakers inside the bridge, even though it is also simultaneously playing through your party-wide comm.
"*sighing heard* This is the CNS Dawn of Justice. We are acting under the orders of General Maximilian of the CN Jovian Patrol. We repeat, we are CN personnel. Cease boarding action immediately or we will have to resort to drastic measures."

You notice that the enemy ship's red-hot radiators are still fully extended, and therefore vulnerable. A potshot at those could render the ship inoperable, but also result in complete and total destruction without its heatsinks. It would be a waste of remote bodies and possibly even endanger Wasp if the reactor were to overheat and explode.

Samarkand AKA Felicia Hasting

It's time to reset. You have enough food stores for a while, anyway. Enough to feed a couple of comatose humans, anyway. Additionally, your fungus stands are bug-free, being isolated from the planet section. You step out of the room and order the sterilization of the room. The water and debris is immediately drained and send back into the water purifier, while the room's atmosphere first brought to extreme temperatures, then pumped out and replaced with a fresh mixture of CO2, Oxygen, and Nitrogen. The automatic harvesting system goes to work replanting the lost seeds while you look for signs of infestation outside of the plant bay.
[2+2] You don't find any living insects, but you find traces of plant matter and debris scattered around the edges of the floor. In fact, you find a spider in a corner of the ceiling. That means that it must have some kind of prey, or else it would be dead.

The Froggy Ninja AKA David "Dave" Steel

As you cut random holes into the doors and walls, you peek through to look for signs of crew. Not seeing anything through the gaps but vague glimpses of appliances and more locked doors, you resign to not having targets to test your sound system on, and simply cut further into the inner compartment that the outer hall is circling.

Comrade P. AKA Hamilton Teromo

You leave the instruments inside Wasp's airlock and proceed through the gap in the door, coming across Dave, who seems to be cutting up random walls and doors and looking through the holes he makes. You feel some vibrations through the floor, indicative of footsteps, but they soon stop and you feel a small, constant vibration instead.

Dave cuts his way into a closet filled with lockers bolted onto the walls and ceiling. There is another locked doorway inside this room, although this one looks less reinforced.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 09, 2014, 06:12:00 pm »

Bump. Also:

According to that source, 240 dB is the pressure created by one kiloton of TNT at 1000 feet distance. At 3 feet, I've calculated it to be over a million psi. I don't think your speakers can survive that, let alone the ship. :P Heck, 1 psi will level a building if applied evenly.

I would go with about 160 dB at about ten meters, as that will severely incapacitate a human, blur vision, make them nauseous. This would be about 180 dB at point blank, if I'm calculating correctly.))
Well I'm awful at math but if an L.R.A.D. can do 160dB with the safety on I think my speakers can handle 240 as that's what they were designed for.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 10, 2014, 11:32:09 am »

Set sticky paper traps around plants to capture insects.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 10, 2014, 12:36:53 pm »

Bump. Also:

Well I'm awful at math but if an L.R.A.D. can do 160dB with the safety on I think my speakers can handle 240 as that's what they were designed for.

240 dB is a LOT more than 160dB. 240 dB is about 10^8 times more power and 10^4 times the amplitude. Steel can't handle that. No material can handle several million psi.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 12, 2014, 11:36:06 am »

Anton mutes the mic and addresses the rest of the team.

-You hear that? They're CN personnel. Of course, we can let them go, but our cover won't survive closer inspection. Damn, I just had to tell them we're CN... Shit. What do we do? We can pretend we don't believe them or something... Think fast, guys, I'll blab with them to win time.

Then he resumes communication with Dawn of Justice.

-Boarding action is on hold. Please state your orders and identify your opponent. We are already mighty confused here, and it is best if we avoid further...unpleasantness. The questions that puzzle us most is how come our computer failed to identify you as a CN vessel, and why did you open fire on us, despite the fact that we are clearly identifiable as a CN ship.

Anton smiles a virtual smile, his Minesweeper game completely forgotten.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 12, 2014, 11:55:31 am »

"Well, fuck. No looting. I'll see them anyway."

Head down to where the steps were heard.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 12, 2014, 12:13:56 pm »

"*Grumble grumble* Fine But I checking these guys out on the offchance they're lying and we can murder them and steal their phat lootz for making even more needlessly destructive ,and hopefully more compact, deathbots." Follow Hamilton.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 12, 2014, 12:25:24 pm »

-Right, team.

Anton reopens the comm channel with Dawn of Justice and adds, -Two of our personnel are currently on board your ship. I am stating this to avoid any unfortunate slips of the trigger finger.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 13, 2014, 12:03:13 am »

The computer spouts a few warnings before it hands back control of the comms.

"We've run into some issues with the transponder. Bloody merchants tried to pirate us, we only attacked in retaliation. We opened fire on your ship because we thought you'd do the same. You're not running a CN tag, so what are you guys? Some sort of secret unit?"

WARNING: Current Target Ship Location does not match CN patrol records. Records last updated: 1m 2d
WARNING: Transponder ID Change Detected: Target Ship now displays Central Navy affiliation.

The merchant ship the enemy vessel attacked is still within comms range. Perhaps they can be contacted either on a separate channel or added to the current one.

Einstein's Cross, Low Orbit, Titan
Friday, Feb 6th, 2398
20:30 GMT
Mission Timer: 3d 17.5h

DATABANK

Current Inventory:
Voxels: 3970
Steel: 58
Circuits: 50
Water: 31999/32000 tons (DeltaV: 4220.238 km/s)

Total Ship Mass: 31999
Structural Mass: 18000
Cargo Mass: 3970 + 60 + 50 (Max 20000)

Structural Materials: Aluminum, Steel, Titanium Alloy, Polymers, Carbon Fiber

Construction Catalog:
Transmitter Unit (Needed for commander bodies) - 5 Circuits.
Engineer Body - 50 Voxels, 5 Circuits, 10 Steel
Froggy Engineer Body - 80 Voxels, 15 Circuits, 10 Steel
Mining Drone (Can be tasked to Mining Rig for increased production. Can also explore caves.) - 80 Voxels, 5 Circuits, 10 Structural Materials, 2 Steel
Mining Rig (Automated. Can be left on a planet.) - 80 Voxels, 35 Circuits, 50 Structural Materials, 15 Steel

Cloud Catalog: Type (% produced) - Cost
Standard Nanite (100%) - 100 Voxels, 10 Circuits

Cloud Storage: (Max 3000%)
-200% Standard Nanites

Body Storage: (Max 12)
-1x 'Boomer' (Engineer variant)
-3x Engineer

Spoiler: Proximity (click to show/hide)

Avis-Mergulus AKA Anton "Tosha" Teremnoi

The whole transponder deal is new to you, because back in your piloting days mostly every large vessel belonged to the Central Navy. But it makes sense to you as it is important for ships to be able to identify each other. You find that you can quite easily spoof a transponder signal if you have the data files, but reading it involves a hashing algorithm. Reverse-engineering a signal takes a lot of skill and effort, and is in the vast majority of cases impossible without access to a planetside datacenter.

Currently, you only have access to the standard neutral transponder signal present on all ships, used to signal that you are in-fact human.

Samarkand AKA Felicia Hasting

[3] Lacking a natural supply of sticky traps as insect infestations are usually rare on a spacecraft, you set out to make your own using the readily available supplies in the crew sections. [1+2/8 = ~2] After a bit of mixing and crafting, you emerge from the kitchen with your suit covered in discarded honey and sugar, along with a few rolls of paper dunked in some nefarious concoction designed to lure and trap insects, sprinkled with a bit of toxic chemicals for good measure.

Spreading them throughout the halls, you fail to capture any significant portion of the arthropods in the hydroponics section. Most of them are crawlers and predators, feeding on each other and mold growing in the dark corners of the ventilation. The plants serve as a ready food source for hungry insects that have not yet adapted to the rudimentary ecosystem inside the ship.

Comrade P. AKA Hamilton Teromo

You pinpoint the noise as best you can, following it into the central chamber that Dave cut into. There seems to be an elevator running down the length of the ship, and you conjecture that whoever was in this room fled to it in panic and took off. The elevator is currently "above" your current position, although you note that you are in zero-G at the moment. The ship does not have a grav deck.

The Froggy Ninja AKA David "Dave" Steel

As Hamilton investigates, you note that there are open closets scattered around the inner chamber. Inside, you see halves of pressure suits lying around, as well as weapons hanging on the walls! Many of them seem to have been dislodged in a hurry from their usual positions. There is also an oxygen recycler humming on the wall.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - Mindgames
« Reply #388 on: May 13, 2014, 08:27:08 am »

- Hey, David, are those... guns? I mean those one shoots with? WOO-HOO!!

Grab some gun, preferably sidearm, then try to go upside the shaft of elevator.
Sigs

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - Mindgames
« Reply #389 on: May 13, 2014, 08:40:10 am »

"Pfft. Guns."
I point my speakers down and go with 8 hertz and 120dB to propel myself upward as I have no legs to jump with.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 43