Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 43

Author Topic: The Cloud - One Small Step...  (Read 41208 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - Introduction
« Reply #345 on: April 29, 2014, 09:15:33 pm »

((So if I wanna do random stuff around the labs on the ship, will I eventually be able to make a body designed for lab stuffs and just leave it on the ship and then inhabit it for lab stuff? Mostly making sure I understand how this body stuff works.))
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 30, 2014, 01:01:20 am »

((So if I wanna do random stuff around the labs on the ship, will I eventually be able to make a body designed for lab stuffs and just leave it on the ship and then inhabit it for lab stuff? Mostly making sure I understand how this body stuff works.))

((Good question.

The goal of the body system is to allow you to multitask, switching between bodies at will. There are AI presets that allow bodies to function at a limited level (e.g. run mindlessly at this enemy fortification, take cover when available). However, there is no limit to the amount of bodies you can have or the body-swapping you can do. You can also, for example, swap to a body on the ship and then immediately swap back to a body on a planet. You can literally fight two battles at once, provided the AI doesn't set up its own demise with its poor decisions.))
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 30, 2014, 01:29:02 pm »

-I believe we need to contact the other ship. They might be offended if we appear out of thin air and just home in on their kill. We don't have to tell them about our...condition, of course, but I think a hello is in order.

Contact the neutral ship.

-This is pilot officer Teremnoi, mining ship Einstein's Cross. You need any help there?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 30, 2014, 06:46:57 pm »

-I believe we need to contact the other ship. They might be offended if we appear out of thin air and just home in on their kill. We don't have to tell them about our...condition, of course, but I think a hello is in order.

Contact the neutral ship.

-This is pilot officer Teremnoi, mining ship Einstein's Cross. You need any help there?

After a moment of static, a young man responds over the comms.
"We have just refueled and are on our way out. Thank you for the offer."
That was brief. They must have thought you were trying to sell them fuel. Oh wait, there's more--after a few seconds, the SC officer sends back another message.
[5] "Oh, sorry! The hostile is unable to chase. Thank you so much for offering to help though! We are heading to Arcadia Shipyards, Hyperion. If you are looking for a place to land or other miners to team with, you'll find an opportunity there."

Diplomat skill learned!

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 02, 2014, 02:21:24 pm »

((Ehh, bump))

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 02, 2014, 02:50:55 pm »

((Who are we waiting for?))
My Area

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 02, 2014, 03:10:04 pm »

((Probably me.))

-Thanks for the offer. We'll stay here for a sec, see if we can salvage anything, if you don't mind.

Position Einstein's Cross for ease of boarding.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 02, 2014, 04:53:23 pm »

As Einstein's Cross approaches the crippled vessel, the enemy turns its laser turrets on your ship's radiators!

[1] The enemy fires, and in an instant each of its four turrets cuts a swath through your radiator fins, resulting in heavy damage. Repairs will be performed when the radiators are retracted.

Einstein's Cross, Low Orbit, Titan
Friday, Feb 6th, 2398
20:59 GMT
Mission Timer: 3d 17h

DATABANK

Current Inventory:
Voxels: 4170
Steel: 58
Circuits: 70
Water: 31999/32000 tons (DeltaV: 4220.238 km/s)

Total Ship Mass: 31999
Structural Mass: 18000
Cargo Mass: 4170 + 60 + 70 (Max 20000)

Structural Materials: Aluminum, Steel, Titanium Alloy, Polymers, Carbon Fiber

Construction Catalog:
Transmitter Unit (Needed for commander bodies) - 5 Circuits.
Engineer Body - 50 Voxels, 5 Circuits, 10 Steel
Froggy Engineer Body - 80 Voxels, 15 Circuits, 10 Steel
Mining Drone (Can be tasked to Mining Rig for increased production. Can also explore caves.) - 80 Voxels, 5 Circuits, 10 Structural Materials, 2 Steel
Mining Rig (Automated. Can be left on a planet.) - 80 Voxels, 35 Circuits, 50 Structural Materials, 15 Steel

Cloud Catalog: Type (% produced) - Cost
Standard Nanite (100%) - 100 Voxels, 10 Circuits

Cloud Storage: (Max 3000%)
-0% Standard Nanites

Body Storage: (Max 12)
-1x 'Boomer' (Engineer variant)
-3x Engineer

Spoiler: Proximity (click to show/hide)

Avis-Mergulus AKA Anton "Tosha" Teremnoi
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cloud Status (click to show/hide)

Seeing as the ship is still operational and vengeful despite being doomed, you attempt to de-claw it with Wasp's chin-mounted laser turret. It's a little trick you learned when you were still a pirate--lenses work both ways! If fired at just the right angle, your own laser can be bounced through the enemy's entire focusing array, incinerating the laser engine. Even a much smaller beam can wreak havoc on a juicy, unarmored laser engine.

[4] You set up the firing solution as you approach and manage to pull off the shot. While the angle was correct, you aren't able to verify that the laser engine is truly down, but you are quite sure that the plan worked. Unless things have drastically changed since you last saw a laser, the crippled vessel is now unarmed as well as immobile, sans any hidden missile ports. You're worried about that, actually. But unlike lasers, missiles can be shot down.

Einstein's Cross slows down bordering the edge of the safety zone around the radioactive dust cloud. You order some bodies to be loaded onto Wasp and set the shuttle loose, taking control and closing in on one of the vessel's docking ports.

Comrade P. AKA Hamilton Teromo

Before you left, you fabricated a quick knife out of some slag leftover from the scavenged rover. -2 Steel

You enter the body and wait for Anton to dock

Wasp attaches itself to one of the battleship's airlocks. You enter the airlock, along with Dave, but find yourself stuck between the ships as the inner airlock door is locked.

The Froggy Ninja AKA David "Dave" Steel

Alas, sound does not travel in a vacuum. You are also slightly worried that activating the massive speakers too close to Wasp will damage its electronics and systems.

Samarkand AKA Felicia Hasting

Instead of boarding the battleship with the others, you use your body to inspect the hydroponics bay in detail, having better access to pesticides and sprays.

[4] The insect hypothesis turned out to be true. The truth turns out to be appalling, really. The infected plants are peppered with tiny black dots that crawl and leap over the surface, invisible to the cameras due to their size. The bugs seem to burrow into the plants and carve tunnels into it for protection, although the lack of predators in the first place allowed them to thrive far too well.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 01:56:10 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 02, 2014, 05:07:44 pm »

Felicia thinks aloud to herself "I'd rather save these plants, but I can always replant if necessary."

Find some mild detergent, put it in a spray bottle, and spray the plants.
My Area

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 02, 2014, 06:22:13 pm »

((Eh...Anton was never a pirate, just a freighter pilot. No matter, though. Say, are you counting my piloting bonuses? It's just that I'm not sure if I rolled an unmodified four or not.))

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 02, 2014, 08:37:10 pm »

((Eh...Anton was never a pirate, just a freighter pilot. No matter, though. Say, are you counting my piloting bonuses? It's just that I'm not sure if I rolled an unmodified four or not.))
((+1, except ofr botany))
My Area

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 03, 2014, 01:55:07 am »

((The best defense is a good offense. In this sort of scenario, the best way to keep a craft from firing on you is to keep your weapons trained on their lens shutters. As soon as their shutters twitch, you can fire off immediately to scrag their laser array.

Anyway, you don't have bonuses to combat. I consider it a different skill from piloting because the "shoot a laser back through their own lens" trick only works for specific angles and approaches that requires heavy computer intervention to plan and execute. It's specialized enough that I consider it different from regular piloting.

The piloting skill covers evasive maneuvers (important as taking unpredictable paths can throw off computers at light-second ranges), atmospheric flight and maneuvers (such as everything but the actual weapon firing in a dogfight), and anything involving using the ship's drive as an improvised weapon--refer to Jon's Law))

((+1, except ofr botany))

((Whelp. I have a nasty habit of forgetting, if you can't tell already.
Well, either way, you recognized the threat. I'll be sure to keep in mind bonuses next time. Thanks!))

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 03, 2014, 09:47:33 am »

I board the pirate ship and use my new speakers to generate a soundwave of 5 hertz and 240 dB which would cause severe physical damage in the form of ruptured organs and cranium of any nearby humans.
I do this in the presumably air sealed ship after getting a little away from the wasp.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 03, 2014, 12:03:15 pm »

I board the pirate ship and use my new speakers to generate a soundwave of 5 hertz and 240 dB which would cause severe physical damage in the form of ruptured organs and cranium of any nearby humans.
I do this in the presumably air sealed ship after getting a little away from the wasp.

You are inside the airlock between Wasp and the battleship.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 03, 2014, 12:43:14 pm »

*speaks to commlink, addressing Anton*
- Anton, what the fuck. Imma locked in the airlock. Can you do something about it? I think we can walk straight in outer space if in need, so any solution is fine. Just do something.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 43