Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 43

Author Topic: The Cloud - One Small Step...  (Read 41238 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - Introduction
« Reply #285 on: April 22, 2014, 11:12:19 pm »

((What alarm?

Forgive me if I forgot something important xD))
((in reference to gas leak thing))
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 22, 2014, 11:27:08 pm »

((That's due to our team's antics in the spawn room :P ))
"Well the control room is locked down. I'll go look for a hazmat suit in the closet. You five can follow me in through the airlock." the doctor whispers.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 23, 2014, 03:36:11 am »

Anton approaches the others and hands Arran's key to McDonald.

Follow the doc.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 23, 2014, 09:16:04 am »

((seriously, 150 dB is as loud as a jet engine at 30 meters! Your bodies run on battery power!))
So? IPods do it. Plus no one would have heard. That low a frequency is imperceptible to the human ear.
I use my tiny nanites to slice it up into 5in by 5in squares we can use for raw materials latter.

1). That's because the noise is directly inside the ear. Which is what I did for the roll. ^^
But you're right, it's relative to distance and the frequency can't be heard, which was an oversight on my part (Then again, you can probably hear it due to enhanced senses. This is written from a the character's perspective). But wouldn't it be possible to feel it resonating with certain parts of the body if it were loud enough?
2). You'll be cutting through solid metal. You'll need a power source before your nanites can output that kind of energy. To clarify, the nanites can conduct electricity (from, say, an outlet), but are powered by the magnetic flux that they use for communication and control. As such, you need to power your body in order to relay that power to your Cloud.
1) Well yeah but the humans wouldn't know what it is just a weird feeling.
2. fair enough
follow the doc.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 23, 2014, 01:24:36 pm »

((I'm sorry, I just expected that we were about to start punching people in the face earlier in this game. Anyway, my character was supposed to suck in social interaction. By the way, right now my Liar skill gives me bonus in swordsmanship. I think it is a kind of mistake, though it makes sense a little bit, hehe.))

Hmmm... Plan A failed. Plan B - I have those nanites here...

Get my nanites inside her breathing system as far as possible. Try to initiate a black out for her via blocking the oxygen from bonding with haemoglobin. The point is to make her feel real bad all of a sudden, then come closer with "Are you okay?" and holding her up and try to pickpocket the keys in a sneaky way. If caught red-handed, knock her out with brute force, preferably in a sneaky way. Somehow.

Sneaky way.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 23, 2014, 04:01:03 pm »

((I'm sorry, I just expected that we were about to start punching people in the face earlier in this game. Anyway, my character was supposed to suck in social interaction. By the way, right now my Liar skill gives me bonus in swordsmanship. I think it is a kind of mistake, though it makes sense a little bit, hehe.))

Hmmm... Plan A failed. Plan B - I have those nanites here...

Get my nanites inside her breathing system as far as possible. Try to initiate a black out for her via blocking the oxygen from bonding with haemoglobin. The point is to make her feel real bad all of a sudden, then come closer with "Are you okay?" and holding her up and try to pickpocket the keys in a sneaky way. If caught red-handed, knock her out with brute force, preferably in a sneaky way. Somehow.

Sneaky way.
((Why? We already have her key.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 23, 2014, 05:13:32 pm »

((Yeah, uh, speaking of which, I'm going to write up a bit of an exposition now. I wanted to wait for actions in case people still wanted to do something. You won't have to post an actual action, since the takeoff sequence will be handled.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 23, 2014, 08:03:57 pm »

Felicia walks quickly through the halls to get to the Nanotech wing. As she came to the entrance, she asked herself 'Now what?'
This entire sequence of events feels like a dream. She wasn't even in her own body anymore, although judging by what the doctor said, she was still alive and not just uploaded into some sort of computer system.
Hamilton's mind was still set on acquiring the key from the researcher, but he had to contain himself. Force would be ideal in this situation, as his entire team was literally given war machines to casually roam the halls with. Considering that these bodies are fully expendable, it would be prudent to simply trigger the alarms and distract security while the Doctor and perhaps one of the others activated the cargo tunnels.
Anton was just happy to get off this rock. Human rights violations aside, he was curious what had become of Copied-Hamilton. He hoped the doctor kept his word and didn't kill the poor AI discreetly. But considering the lengths the doctor went through to organize the escape, that seemed doubtful.
Dave was still looking for things to pick up and take with him before leaving. So much stuff!

As Felicia arrived and delivered the key, Dr. McDonald had already emerged from the closet wearing a protective suit. When he saw Felicia, he ordered everyone to get into the airlock and enter the control room. As the party of five made their way to the storage room where the life support pods were kept, the doctor remarked, "Your bodies are kept inside this storage room, along side other equipment and life support necessities,"
After passing through the emergency airlock protecting the contents of the storage room from the gas, the group sees each and every group member's bodies inside a cylindrical pod, suspended in liquid and poked full of tubes that deliver vital support to keep them alive. Each pod was locked to the ground by a special mechanism linked to the control panel. The panel itself had slots for the five keys.

One by one, the doctor inserted the keys and twisted them. As the last key turned, everything went, once again, completely dark and silent.

Einstein's Cross, Low Orbit, Titan
Feb 3rd, 2398
4:02 GMT

Each one of you wakes up not to the morning light, but to numbers. In the corners of your vision, you spot four sets of dials popping up into existence, each at slightly different times. This new interface builds itself out of numbers and graphs, finally displaying the words "WELCOME BACK" in the center of your vision when it is finished.

A voice pops in.
"You guys! You're awake! That's... good I was just... waiting for you to come back. The doctor left a voice clip that he told me to share, so have at it."

The clip pops up as an option in what appears to be a file explorer. It is called "020398.0402.msg1.wav". Curious, all of you imagine selecting it, playing it independently for each person.

"Hello, I am talking to Hamilton, Anton, Felicia, and Dave. I am recording this because I want to explain what happened. As promised, I brought you to my ship and connected you to the life support grid. Additionally, Copied-Hamilton, whom I nicknamed Alexander Hamilton, has been connected to the ship's computer and is currently roaming the ship through the ventilation grid, which is off for now until you find a permanent solution. As for me? I've decided to give up on working with the military and return to my family on Atlantis. I've left you the ship in orbit over Titan, along with whatever CN credits I had on me, since I won't be needing them anymore.

Some of you may have heard the myths that humanity is a dying race, forced to live under extreme conditions far from ideal. The majority of humans are, indeed, trapped under the ocean inside giant domes. But we are in no way a dying race. Long ago, one gentleman built a coalition between certain governments of the Skylanders and the Ocean Dwellers. This coalition, called simply the Federation, brought humanity into an age of development and unity that it had never seen before. The Federation went to dust after only a couple of years, but its legacy remained an inspiration in the hearts of our people. The Federation built the orbital habitats and rebuilt the GPS network. They also formed the backbone of what is now the Central Navy. I have since lost faith in the Central Navy's ability to reunite mankind, but the fact remains that they are a powerful ally and will no-doubt prove to be useful in some way. However, right now you cannot associate yourselves with them. I've wiped clean all of the identification aboard your ship, and renamed it to something different. You are now anonymous, and you are free to do whatever you like. I do hope, however, that my work in bringing you back was not in vain.

P.S. Felicia brought a report containing prospecting information on the moons of Saturn. I wasn't able to bring your Engineer bodies aboard, so you currently only have the ship and its drone fleet. Alexander Hamilton needs his Cloud to live, so you will need to use the ship's facilities to construct new nanites and bodies after finding some resources. Dr. McDonald out."

The newly-renamed Einstein's Cross, formerly known as the Harmony, is a ship that is actually two vessels connected by a vacuum seal around the engine bloc of the first.

The first half is known as Wasp. It resembles a green blended-wing-body aircraft that is capable of SSTO in low-gravity environments. Running primarily on a miniature nuclear-thermal rocket that can be adapted to suit most improvised fuel setups, it is a prospecting craft that can be operated remotely or crewed. It features belly-mounted cargo doors that allow cargo to easily be loaded into the craft from a surface shipyard.

The second half is known as Tanker. It is a more conventional rocket without landing gear, designed to store large amounts of propellant for its nuclear thermal drive. It, too, can run on alternative fuels if necessary, but only with secondary thrusters. Its primary drive is a nuclear salt water thruster, which allows for efficient, high-delta-V transit between orbits.
Tanker has two habitat sections. The first is a grav-deck that contains crew quarters and recreation facilities. The grav deck's compartments can tilt to face the direction of thrust during maneuvers. The second habitat section is at the middle of the entire vessel, or at the front of Tanker, which contains utilities designed for free-fall and also contains the bulk of the ship's cargo storage and manufacturing facilities.

Einstein's Cross also has a small wing of untitled mini-tankers which can deploy automated mining stations on moon surfaces. The mini-tankers can then recover the collected materials/fuel and bring it back to Tanker for use.

The flight controls are currently locked as the ship's computer plots through courses and their fuel requirements.

PLAYER SHEETS

Samarkand AKA Felicia Hasting
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cloud Status (click to show/hide)

The Froggy Ninja AKA David "Dave" Steel

Avis-Mergulus AKA Anton "Tosha" Teremnoi

Comrade P. AKA Hamilton Teromo

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 23, 2014, 08:18:00 pm »

((Do I still have my nanite replenisher? Also what happened to our Clouds? Also also how did you plan on this going before Alexander's birth?))
Also Enceladus seem most profitable while Mimas seems safer as well as having diverse but unknown minerals in meteorite form. Hmm...

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 23, 2014, 09:53:13 pm »

((Do I still have my nanite replenisher? Also what happened to our Clouds? Also also how did you plan on this going before Alexander's birth?))
Also Enceladus seem most profitable while Mimas seems safer as well as having diverse but unknown minerals in meteorite form. Hmm...

1). That is for you to figure out. Check the EDIT: cargo hold. Why did I say dice?
2). Your cloud dissipated when you lost control. You will have to manufacture new ones.
3). This is non-linear. Anything you do can seriously change the way the plot is going to progress. :D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:51:16 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 23, 2014, 11:00:26 pm »

"For what it's worth, I think we should go to Mimas. We need something to trade before we enter a human civilization. Outsiders with nothing declared for trade must be doing something illegal. If they have nothing illegal to trade, then must be something very illegal. Or that's how the locals will see it."

Examine our new ship for any medical, botanical, or chemical facilities
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 24, 2014, 07:10:36 am »

-Enceladus sounds best to me, but I'll go with Mimas if that's what everybody else says. Still, for the doc to bail out on us like that... Okay, first we'll do prospecting work. What then? Our bodies make us most suited for hazardous environments...or war. We could earn a living either way. What are your opinions, people?

Anton acquaints himself with the ship's controls, for future reference.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 24, 2014, 09:12:31 am »

I search for my nanite factory and begin feeding it.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 24, 2014, 09:21:31 am »

((Aaaah, I'm finally aware what thу whole team is doing again. I kinda lost track back to science base.))

- Enceladus. Let's go there. We mine iron - we make bodies - we make weapons - we get everything else via looting human settlements. Then possibly we could try to mess with that nanoplague mentioned.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 24, 2014, 10:16:50 am »

"I agree with Hamilton. Enceladus is not that dangerous and has useful resources for stuff."
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 43