Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43

Author Topic: The Cloud - One Small Step...  (Read 41141 times)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - Introduction
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2014, 04:24:30 pm »

- Ah, ye olde "eliminate threat" mission. Any weapons we can have for the mission, doc? Or we are about to beat te shit out of... whatever is there with our bare hands and a coupe of nanites?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2014, 05:54:54 pm »

- Ah, ye olde "eliminate threat" mission. Any weapons we can have for the mission, doc? Or we are about to beat te shit out of... whatever is there with our bare hands and a coupe of nanites?

"I am... deeply afraid that you won't have weapons for this. Not for all of you, at least. You can take my handgun if you'd like, although you should probably give it to the one of you with the best shot. Don't worry though, nanites are an excellent way to fight, and we can replace your bodies if needed.

The colonel is currently in the comms station, contacting her transport fleet. Due to the nature of radio communication, we have plenty of time before she is finished. Just don't attract too much attention or the guards will ask us what we're doing... if that happens, we are just testing your current units. Do you copy?"
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2014, 06:38:30 pm »

"Copy. Do you know if the threat has access to nanites of its own?"
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2014, 06:45:46 pm »

"Copy. Do you know if the threat has access to nanites of its own?"

"Yes, yes it does. Hamilton should be more familiar with it than the rest of you.

Your target is a malfunctioning commander unit. Due to a shortcut I made in the programming, it is now autonomous. The colonel wants to keep it for further study, but I just can't let that happen. The risks are too great. She honestly doesn't know what we're dealing with here."

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2014, 07:02:05 pm »

"I know we communicate with nanites through magnetics, so the rogue commander unit should be doing the same right? If we can disrupt that signal one of use should be able to take his nanites, or disable them. Then taking it out should be simple"

Prepare nanites to overload themselves, emitting an EMP. If somebody opens the door to attack this turn, have the nanites go through the door and do this.
My Area

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2014, 10:17:14 pm »

-Shall I... hold the door open for you or something?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2014, 10:38:42 pm »

"Somebody needs to have that pistol ready to shoot right after the nanites are down. Don't know what that AI can do, so we better not give it long to react"
My Area

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2014, 01:44:38 am »

"Somebody needs to have that pistol ready to shoot right after the nanites are down. Don't know what that AI can do, so we better not give it long to react"
The body Anton currently inhabits shifts uneasily.
- I...don't have much expertise in firearms. Maybe somebody else..?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2014, 09:18:46 am »

- I'll take the shot. I'm familiar with handguns. Doctor, please give me one you mentioned...

Prepare to shoot commander unit as soon as nanites are down.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2014, 02:26:38 pm »

Anton looks visibly relieved, then proceeds to the exercise room door and holds his hand above the control panel.

-Ready? Three...two...one!

Open the door for those honorable gentlemen!
(Yes, I know Felicia is female. It's no excuse for not being a gentleman.)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2014, 08:13:03 pm »

Two of our protagonists seem to be far to enter actual combat. Both Pirate Dave and Chandler merely stand in front of their chambers. The doctor is unsure whether or not their interfaces are malfunctioning, but concludes that three able hands are more than enough.

CNR Laboratory, Ceres
Feb 2nd, 2398
15:05 GMT

Avis-Mergulus AKA Anton "Tosha" Teremnoi
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cloud Status (click to show/hide)

Dr. McDonald removes his gun from its hidden holster and gives it to Hamilton. He then asks you, Felicia, and Hamilton to follow him to the maintenance halls. You walk past countless experiments being conducted--and temporarily halted as the scientists turn around and admire your dramatic reentry into a relatively normal human life, for this century. Almost nobody lives a traditional civilian lifestyle in this era, what with the constant, rapid shifts in society and technology that have been happening in the last decade. 

You come to an access door being watched by a man and a woman, both with coilguns in hand. The doctor shows his I.D. and the guards reluctantly stand aside to let you through, although their eyes remain fixed on the doctor's robotic followers.

"Test chamber 3D is behind this wall." informs the doctor, stopping next to a control panel mounted at shoulder-height.
"I am going to stand back around the corner and talk to you via radio. When you are ready, flip this switch."
He backs off, letting you three prepare yourselves. At this point, you start to wonder... where are the nanites the doctor promised? You ask him on the radio channel.

"Why, they are inside the room where they always were! I've programmed the ones not under the rogue unit's control to follow your commands immediately upon your entry into the room. Act quickly."
With that, you flip the control switch and the wall slides open almost instantly. The lights are off inside the chamber, so you activate infra-red vision. A swarm of nanites immediately concentrates itself on your squad and starts to radiate out into the hall before Felicia takes control.

darkpaladin109 AKA David "Pirate Dave" Smith

((No action posted!))

Samarkand AKA Felicia Hasting

[3] You gather together the nanites into a multi-layered sphere orbiting a focal point. The nanites then release arcs of electricity, using their bodies as conductors.

You motion for Anton to shut the door now. He does so, and you trigger the EMP. Immediately, your radio systems go haywire--filling with persistent static for a few seconds. Afterward, you reopen the door to find the interior of the room blackened by the hot, powdery remains of every nanite in the room. For a while, everything is still.

((Quick disclaimer: I am unsure of how an EMP grenade would work in real life, so this is just speculation.))

Comrade P. AKA Hamilton Teromo

[3] After the EMP goes out, you walk into the room, quickly scanning for targets using your thermal vision. Unfortunately, the entire room is currently radiating heat from the explosion, and as such it is hard to find anything. You stay on your guard, listening for sounds with your enhanced senses, and gripping the weapon firmly in your hand.

As you investigate, you hear a voice shouting out behind you. Normally, you would turn around and demand surrender, but this particular voice is familiar... it is your own!
"What in the blazes are they doing up here!?"

You hear the characteristic sounds of nanites flowing through the air resume.

Chromatic Wasp AKA Chandler Davis
Comrade P. AKA Hamilton Teromo

((No action posted!))

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2014, 08:32:39 pm »

((Response to your disclaimer: neither am I, though your description matches what I understand of the theory well enough. :) ))

Try to take control of these nanites, while swearing profusely.
My Area

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2014, 12:15:39 am »

((I think everyone else is having finals this week. That might explain the lack of posts.))

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2014, 03:26:11 pm »

Anton hides himself behind the doorframe and yells,

-Whoever's in there, stand down before somebody does something stupid!

Have my nanites synthesize acetone. Prepare to fuse it into acetone triperoxide, but don't yet.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2014, 03:44:51 pm »

Turn around to the voice source, pointing gun on it.

I... is that... me? Copied me? How could that be?
- H-Hamilton? Hamilton Teromo?
Sigs

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43