Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43

Author Topic: The Cloud - One Small Step...  (Read 41137 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - Introduction
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2014, 09:23:43 am »

Switch to commander body and get on floor and crawl across the hall to the alcove.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2014, 09:43:30 am »

Switch to my expendable body and flip the switch, then immideately switch to my commander unit and throw the knife at the gunman's arm. If I still have actions left after this, have my expendable unit jump down if it can survive the fall and pin the gunam to the ground. If it can't survive the fall, have my commander unit run down the hall and pin the gunman to the floor.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 12:32:52 pm by darkpaladin109 »

Chromatic Wasp

• Bay Watcher
  • Art by Tae (Raspcherry)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2014, 12:25:56 pm »

"Well, I'm out of options."

Take the obvious course of action: Body switch and switch flip.
Come on up to the stage! Are you trembling with fear and excitement?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2014, 09:02:45 pm »

CNR Laboratory, Ceres
Feb 2nd, 2398
13:47 GMT

Avis-Mergulus AKA Anton "Tosha" Teremnoi
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

"You will have AI subroutines available to you when we finish. We still aren't done with diagnostics."
"That's correct. Subroutines include sentry AI, virtual squad organization, flanking, and skirmishing."
"And... normal housework."

darkpaladin109 AKA David "Pirate Dave" Smith

[1] You successfully swap to the expendable and pull the switch, turning off the lights, but you somehow lose track of which body you are in after being disoriented by the flashes. You hurry to throw the knife at the gunman before he can react to the lights, but in your confusion you merely stab the knife into the soundproof foam-lined wall in front of you. You pull it out, but it seems that the blade's edge is completely bent after being pushed against the metal plate below the foam layer.

Samarkand AKA Felicia Hasting

Being sure not to make a sound, you begin crawling and attempt to sneak past the guard's cone of fire under the guise of darkness.
{4} You hear the gunshot from across the hall, but it is too late to roll to cover now. The first few rounds bounce off the floor and bounce around on the floor a few times. The rest of the attacks impact your commander's chest armor, and it eventually becomes clear to your that your eye is being deliberately targeted despite the lights being turned off. The gunman wasn't wearing any sort of goggles and the gun had no scope, so you're not sure what mistakes you made here. The last bullet hits your commander straight in the eye, inches away from cover around the corner.

The lights reactivate. You find that you are now observing the chamber from a camera in the corner of the ceiling.

Once again, you hear the words: "Trust nothing but your senses..."

Comrade P. AKA Hamilton Teromo

Suspecting that no smart human being would openly state his weakness after being disabled, you decide to merely use the sudden shock of disabling the lights to your advantage in distracting the gunman. You send forth the expendable body, then swap out of it and back into your commander. You rush across while your expendable body takes fire, but you realize that swapping out of the expendable body rendered it motionless. The gunman quickly realizes your ploy and targets you after you are halfway across the hall, {d7: 3} but only grazes your plated shoulder. You successfully make it across.

You hear a female voice, different from the first, comment on your actions.
"I like that one... he thinks differently. The others tried to kill the guard, but this one focused on the objective."

Chromatic Wasp AKA Chandler Davis

[4] You flip the switch, and the lights go off as expected. The gunman proclaims loudly that he is unable to see. You, on the other hand, can see clearly through your body's infra-red vision. Your commander is highlighted with a thick blue outline.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Chromatic Wasp

• Bay Watcher
  • Art by Tae (Raspcherry)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2014, 09:05:28 pm »

Try to shove him down in the commander body to buy some time, then make a break for it.
Come on up to the stage! Are you trembling with fear and excitement?

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2014, 10:02:31 pm »

Ask what that its supposed to mean.
My Area

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2014, 09:00:19 am »

It worked! Actually worked! What do I do now? Well, I should probably exclaim that I'm done.
- Done!
Stay in alcove
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:19:03 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2014, 09:28:45 am »

Switch to my expendable body and flip the switch, then immideately switch to my commander unit and throw the knife at the gunman's arm. If I still have actions left after this, have my expendable unit jump down if it can survive the fall and pin the gunam to the ground. If it can't survive the fall, have my commander unit run down the hall and pin the gunman to the floor.
Continue with this action.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2014, 05:51:05 pm »

CNR Laboratory, Ceres
Feb 2nd, 2398
14:02 GMT

Avis-Mergulus AKA Anton "Tosha" Teremnoi

"Well, the AI should do the shooting for you. There are also controls in place so that the AI will not shoot living beings unless you consciously approve the action."

darkpaladin109 AKA David "Pirate Dave" Smith

[4] Considering that the lights are off, the gunman most likely won't be able to fire at a threat. You charge down the hallway in the expendable body, aiming to leap at the gunman in the last moment, {7} but you are gunned down by fully-automatic fire well before reaching him. odd, considering he didn't have any goggles or electronic scope on his weapon. Blind luck, perhaps?

[4] You still have your commander at the ready. When you hear the sound of the gunman reloading his rifle, you immediately dash across the room and make it to the alcove before the gunman can open fire.

"Both parties made mistakes, but this one capitalized on them."

Samarkand AKA Felicia Hasting

"Seriously?"
There is a pause.
"It was supposed to be a hint. The gunman is just an android. Built with advanced Skylander tech, uh, robotics and biomimicry and the like. The colonel is upset that you didn't realize the robot's speech was just a trap."

"We know you're finished. Everything is under surveillance. In fact, the proxies we prepared for you have a full connection to the base's cameras. I thought it would be a good idea just in case... you know... something happens.
Don't tell the colonel."

Chromatic Wasp AKA Chandler Davis

[6] You will the expendable body to rush the gunman, playing out the scenario inside your head, and lo-and-behold--its A.I subroutines take over and do just that as you swap back into your regular body. The expendable charges so quickly that even though it takes a full-auto blast to the face, its husk impacts the gunman fast enough to send them both flying into the back wall as a heap of torn joints, loose cables, and shattered optical equipment.

Since the threat is eliminated, you slow down and walk the rest of the way to the alcove. The lights turn on again.

The scenario concludes and everyone is reverted back to the limbo-state where they cannot see or control anything--only listen to the voices. This time, the female voice that some of the others heard before speaks first.
"Time to test the nanites?"
Somewhat reluctantly, the doctor responds, "Yes, it's time. Send them in."

In the third stage, each person finds himself once again alone in a chamber with a single commander unit. This next room is a large, square opening with two halves separated by a deep trench, about three meters deep and two across. The trench has ladders leading back onto the central floors. On the far side of the room, there is a small metal bridge linking the two halves. In the center of the room, there is a thick glass tube with some kind of turret inside, equipped with two circular apertures on the front and facing the same direction. One aperture is larger and below the other.

In the far corners of the room, there are turrets hanging from the ceiling, each armed with a single blue-tipped missile mounted to a frame.

The room is currently full of some sort of glittering dust that constantly floats around the room and never settles.

"Alright. If that laser turret paints you as a target, you are going to be fired upon. Those missile launchers have one missile each, and can only fire down their respective lane. If one explodes near you, the EMP will knock the body out and terminate the exercise. Your goal is to get across to the other side of the room, as before.

To do this, you now have control over the nanite cloud within the room. You will know how to use these right away, thanks to some memory tricks Dr. McDonald used while you were asleep. This should be relatively straightforward. Any questions?

Remember, as soon as you step out of cover, the turret will start scanning. Take care."

As the woman stops speaking, you begin to feel as if you had prior experience with these nanobots, although you don't recall having ever used them. The mechanics all become clear to you.

The Cloud

The Cloud is a swarm of nanobots that follows your commander body wherever it goes. Since the nanobots cannot be communicated with and instead use magnetics to receive both their power and commands, you must be in direct physical contact with the Cloud in order to control it with a body. The cloud's actions may or may not be self-destructive, and as such it is important not to run out of nanobots or the cloud will disperse.

The Cloud itself is non-sentient and individual nanobots are linked to their respective hosts. Whenever you consciously control nanobots in a cloud, they tag you as their sole user and deny others the ability to control them. As such, each person has their own individual Cloud that follows them or stores itself within a storage compartment.

Nanite Powers

The nanobots are equipped with tools allowing for physical manipulation of matter and energy. They can channel a body's power supplies into heat and electromagnetic radiation, or act as a catalyst for chemical reactions. They move using micro-sized ion thrusters, which can be used to manipulate particles and exert forces on objects. The nanobots can interact directly with microbial life, either harmfully or non-invasively. The nanobots can store minute amounts of matter within their claws, and can also "juggle" matter to keep it floating within the cloud and increase capacity. Finally, the nanobots can manipulate electrical potentials and influence computer systems and even biochemical circuits.

Some of the basic powers nanobots have include but are not limited to:
-Forming a barrier of non-Newtonian fluid to block projectiles
-Linking together to form physical objects out of nanoplasm
-Launch fireballs, create particle beams, emit dangerous radiation, create lightning, etc. Note that this destroys nanobots in the process.
-Invade computer systems

Nanobot abilities can be enhanced through expertise and through physical modifications.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 12:21:03 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2014, 06:49:24 pm »

Use the nanobots to create a refractive cloud in front of the laser turret by fusing the oxygen and nitrogen in the air into NO2. That should interfere with its optics and prevent it from painting me.

-That should work...
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2014, 08:16:03 pm »

Hack the turret from afar and disable it.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2014, 12:22:05 am »

((Please specify: the rocket launcher (might not have a hackable circuit) or the laser turret, which is encased in glass?))

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2014, 05:17:06 am »

((Please specify: the rocket launcher (might not have a hackable circuit) or the laser turret, which is encased in glass?))
((The laser turret. The rocket launcher turrets can't target unless the laser turret paints me first, unless I didn't read that correctly.))

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2014, 11:40:20 am »

Felicia thought to herself. -The glass casing will absorb all UV light, anything higher in energy is both too energy costly to make a good marker, and would likely penetrate most targets rather than being reflected. That leaves Vis and lower energy. Anything below Far IR will similarly ignore a target being there. That leaves Vis and IR both for possible markers, and for how the turret identifies a target.-

Have nanobots position themselves between the laser turret and a missile turret. Have them project a light spot on the ground immediately adjacent to a missile turret, scanning wavelengths between 100 µm and 400 nm. If laser emits light, check what wavelength.

((Not sure if this counts as one action, since its all simultaneous, or many, since it's complex))
My Area

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2014, 12:21:01 pm »

Felicia thought to herself. -The glass casing will absorb all UV light, anything higher in energy is both too energy costly to make a good marker, and would likely penetrate most targets rather than being reflected. That leaves Vis and lower energy. Anything below Far IR will similarly ignore a target being there. That leaves Vis and IR both for possible markers, and for how the turret identifies a target.-

Have nanobots position themselves between the laser turret and a missile turret. Have them project a light spot on the ground immediately adjacent to a missile turret, scanning wavelengths between 100 µm and 400 nm. If laser emits light, check what wavelength.

((Not sure if this counts as one action, since its all simultaneous, or many, since it's complex))

((You want the nanobots to catch the attention of the laser turret and then use the nanobots to check the wavelength of the projected beam, correct?))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43