Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43

Author Topic: The Cloud - One Small Step...  (Read 41122 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - Introduction
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2014, 04:27:07 pm »

((Hey, Samarkand, what reaction are you going to perform? Just interested.))
((Vanadium dioxide can absorb fairly completely in the IR region, and is one of the few materials to do so. Most materials absorb IR in discrete wavelengths, because they absorb in specific vibration modes. If I knew the precise wavelength I'd try to design a chemical that would absorb that wavelength completely. Since I don't know, vanadium dioxide is the best single material for the job.))
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2014, 04:34:40 pm »

((Cool idea. Thanks for answering :).))
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2014, 04:52:39 pm »

((Vanadium can be used for batteries, surgical tools, airframe construction, axles and other critical components (according to the wiki). The oxide itself is more of a raw material afaik.))

According to the dice:
[6] The Central Navy uses mostly titanium in their robotics and personal armor, which typically contains vanadium as an alloy component.
[5] Your bodies run on batteries containing Lithium Vanadium Phosphate.
[4] Nanites have minute amounts of vanadium within their manipulation tools, although the actual amount is tiny since the nanobot itself is tiny.
[3] A lot of critical gears inside your body's joints have vanadium as an alloy component as well, alloyed to steel.
[2] You don't have vanadium currently in the Cloud's inventory.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2014, 05:04:59 pm »

Try to create a vanadium dioxide coating on the glass.
My Area

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2014, 05:16:35 pm »

Try to create a vanadium dioxide coating on the glass.

((What are your nanobots going to cannibalize for the vanadium?))

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2014, 05:37:22 pm »

((The central navy made the missile launchers right? Lets take vanadium from them.))
My Area

Chromatic Wasp

• Bay Watcher
  • Art by Tae (Raspcherry)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2014, 08:38:16 pm »

YOLO. Sprint like heck to the exit. Maybe I can beat the missiles.
Come on up to the stage! Are you trembling with fear and excitement?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2014, 11:25:39 pm »

CNR Laboratory, Ceres
Feb 2nd, 2398
14:17 GMT

Avis-Mergulus AKA Anton "Tosha" Teremnoi
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

[6+1] You dive into the central trench as fast as your commander unit can possibly move. This overworks the motors and causes it to lose control halfway through your last stride, sending it tumbling as it goes over the edge. Somehow, you bounce directly toward the laser turret's fixture, knocking it over and causing the glass shell to shatter. The turret beeps a couple of times and then shuts off, no longer scanning and rotating regularly to search for targets.

You heard an explosion behind you. The missile impacted the back wall, sending down debris as well as disabling nanites that happened to be close to the center of the blast. The resulting grey dust disperses across the room as the Cloud disassembles the fried remains and reassembles them into working instances.
The air blast somehow knocks you back on your feet and into an awesome pose.

darkpaladin109 AKA David "Pirate Dave" Smith

[2] You will not be set back by a glass barrier! Using the turret's shielding against itself, you heat the air around the glass casing to cook the turret inside. Let's see how they like the greenhouse effect!

No dice. The thermal signature indicates that the turret is at 120 degrees Celsius and doing fine, albeit the paint has peeled off at this point.

Samarkand AKA Felicia Hasting

[1] The Cloud sets off to disassemble a missile's fuselage and cannibalize it for the vanadium component of its alloy. The nanite's work ends up detonating the missile, which fries the microelectronics in all nearby nanites. Seeing the grey dust fall to the ground and the glittering dust around the room thin out considerably, you realize that you may have just lost most of your nanobots.

Comrade P. AKA Hamilton Teromo

[1] You make the attempt to swap, but for some reason the commander unit isn't connected to the network.

The body still seems to be moving, though. You also notice sparks and tiny arcs through the air around the nanite cloud. You notice the nanite dust in the room becoming more concentrated around the body, with the electrical arcing getting more and more frequent.

"What's happening..."
"Interesting. The subject isn't able to control the unit."
"Shut it down!" the colonel slams her fist on the table.
You hear rustling. It sounds like a small fight occured.
"I want to see this."
"You don't know what you're dealing with!"
"There is something I don't know!?"
"Cut the power to the room! This is not a suggestion!"

The power remains on.

Chromatic Wasp AKA Chandler Davis

[2] You run and leap across the trench, making it over. The laser turret immediately paints you and fires the missile on the second lane. Your body is struck by the missile and blown apart just as it reaches the end.

Did I win?

You listen for a response, but you only hear some sort of loud commotion, unable to identify any of the words.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 11:27:26 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2014, 12:54:06 am »

- Uhm, Doctor? What is happening? Whatever it is, notice that I didn't mean this to happen.
Try to zoom the image I have from camera focusing on my body. Or just watch what's happening if I cannot zoom.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2014, 03:31:47 am »

Anton giggles hysterically and gives the turret the finger.
-Heck yeah, acrobatics!

Calmly walk down to the other end of the room.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2014, 10:34:03 am »

Have my nanites get metal from a wall or turret and have them form that metal into a shield big enough to cover the entire body of the commander unit. If sucesfull, have my commander unit put the shield in front of itself and start walking towards the turret.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2014, 01:39:19 pm »

((Did that explosion destroy the missile turret or no?))
My Area

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2014, 02:33:19 pm »

((Did that explosion destroy the missile turret or no?))

((The launcher only has a single missile, so whether or not it destroyed the launcher is irrelevant. There are probably pieces of it all around the room.))

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2014, 02:49:36 pm »

((I'm guessing I don't have enough nanites left to try the same trick with the other turret.))

Have whatever nanites remain try to mark a spot on the wall furthest from my commander with IR while I run across the bridge and to the other side.
My Area

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2014, 04:13:27 pm »

CNR Laboratory, Ceres
Feb 2nd, 2398
14:55 GMT

Avis-Mergulus AKA Anton "Tosha" Teremnoi
Spoiler: Cloud Status (click to show/hide)

You climb out of the trench and make your way to the goal. The missile launchers, having no guidance system themselves, remain triggered as you walk down the second lane.

While you are listening for a response, the entire visual feed cuts out abruptly. You feel your limbs missing once again, this time without any dialogue explaining what just happened.

Following the period of nothingness, you regain consciousness, this time inside a different kind of robotic unit, with normal, humanlike fingers and a head with actual eyes. You seem to be stuck inside a dark, cylindrical chamber by yourself, however. There are some sounds--mostly footsteps--coming from one of the walls.

darkpaladin109 AKA David "Pirate Dave" Smith

[5] You strip metal off of the wall panels, revealing a nigh-impenetrable carbon layer just centimeters beneath. Regardless, you have enough material at your disposal to create a shield large enough to protect your body from the rocket's explosion and shockwave. You step out and grab the laser turret's attention, getting painted and triggering the rocket launch. The missile comes quickly and hits you before you can react to better position the shield. The cobbled-together metal shield is blown to bits, but your body survives the blast.

Despite surviving the explosion, your body seems to be suffering from the missile's EMP. Your nanites fall to the ground, while new ones come in and replace them, automatically moving in and trying to bridge the gaps left in the fried circuity controlling your arm. The emergency response built into the nanite system amazes you for the few moments you get to witness it. After some time, however, everything suddenly goes black and you lose all contact with the unit.

You come to in a different body, this one more like your original human one. You are currently inside some dark, cylindrical chamber. You hear voices and footsteps through one of the walls.

Samarkand AKA Felicia Hasting

[4] You once again attract the turret's attention, this time with a smaller cloud that can only maintain the incandescence for a limited time, judging by the rate at which the nanites are rotating out of the cloud to avoid combustion. You hurry around the room, crossing the bridge. As your incandescent cloud disappears, the turret resumes scanning. Fortunately for you, the turret rotates clockwise and turns to face your original starting location, giving you time to skip across the lane and reach the end without attracting its laser again.

As you await some congratulatory speech, some kind of compliment, or something, at least, the lights cut out. You immediately lose contact with your body and go back to your prior limbo-state for quite some time before waking up again inside a dark cylindrical chamber with a new body. No nanites, though. There are footsteps coming from outside the chamber, but none of them are close by.

You zoom in on the body, observing it as it stands idle and looks around the room nonchalantly. It doesn't seem to mind the sparking nanites orbiting it.
More dialogue comes in:
"It's a glitch in the system that I haven't fully resolved. A duplication--I will explain later, but we cannot let the exercise continue or we will have a major security breach. Cut the power now!"

Everything goes dark. No more voices or text. You hear nothing and see nothing for what feels like forever due to the lack of stimulation. Finally, you wake up inside a new body, this time inside a strange cylindrical chamber with no lights.

Chromatic Wasp AKA Chandler Davis

Everything that happens to the others happen to you. ((No action, so I can't really make this roll interesting in any way :P))

*Directed at everyone*
The thick, heavy doors of your metal chamber slide open, revealing the same lab you saw earlier in the day. As you regain your senses and get used to the normal feet on your new unit (As opposed to the clawed feet on the previous bodies, suitable for climbing rather than walking), a man wearing a light-blue collared shirt and back slacks walks over. He carries with him a smartphone which he sets aside in his right pocket as he talks. You all recognize him by the voice.

"Hey everyone, I'm Alex, the doctor here in charge of the project, if I didn't tell you before. You probably recognize me by my voice. I was with Colonel Sanders, the Central Navy officer in charge of overseeing what happens here and protecting the base.

I am so sorry for what just happened. I really am! It is entirely my fault that what happened with Hamilton happened in the first place. However, I have a small thing to ask of you guys before I hand you over to the colonel. I want you to go into the exercise room and terminate whatever threat is in there. You will have nanites with you, although I would advise that you try to keep them away from the threat if possible as you can lose control of them. This will be your last test. Please ask your questions now, although keep it quick. We have to move now before the colonel gets back."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43