Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 43

Author Topic: The Cloud - One Small Step...  (Read 41119 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: The Cloud - Introduction
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2014, 12:34:43 pm »

Felicia thought to herself. -The glass casing will absorb all UV light, anything higher in energy is both too energy costly to make a good marker, and would likely penetrate most targets rather than being reflected. That leaves Vis and lower energy. Anything below Far IR will similarly ignore a target being there. That leaves Vis and IR both for possible markers, and for how the turret identifies a target.-

Have nanobots position themselves between the laser turret and a missile turret. Have them project a light spot on the ground immediately adjacent to a missile turret, scanning wavelengths between 100 µm and 400 nm. If laser emits light, check what wavelength.

((Not sure if this counts as one action, since its all simultaneous, or many, since it's complex))

((You want the nanobots to catch the attention of the laser turret and then use the nanobots to check the wavelength of the projected beam, correct?))
((Yeah, preferably by catching the laser turrets attention away from the nanobots themselves. Alternately, if the light doesn't catch the attention of the laser, something in that range should catch the attention of the missile turret, meaning I'd still know what wavelength was used as a marker.))
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2014, 12:45:07 pm »

((You're approaching the question more seriously than I am. I don't even know if the refractive index of NO2 is enough. I just had an idea that if you can manipulate matter on the atomic level, then the N, C, O, and H in the air are available for the synthesis of very, very many toxic, corrosive or explosive carbonyl and nitrous compounds. Seeing as we no longer need to breathe, well...))
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2014, 01:04:28 pm »

((Refractive index has nothing to do with absorption.))

((Yeah, preferably by catching the laser turrets attention away from the nanobots themselves. Alternately, if the light doesn't catch the attention of the laser, something in that range should catch the attention of the missile turret, meaning I'd still know what wavelength was used as a marker.))

((We shall how it works once we have everyone's action.))
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2014, 01:05:36 pm »

((You're approaching the question more seriously than I am. I don't even know if the refractive index of NO2 is enough. I just had an idea that if you can manipulate matter on the atomic level, then the N, C, O, and H in the air are available for the synthesis of very, very many toxic, corrosive or explosive carbonyl and nitrous compounds. Seeing as we no longer need to breathe, well...))
((I'm a chemist, so I tend to take spectroscopic principles rather seriously.  :-) ))
My Area

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2014, 01:13:04 pm »

((I'm a chemist, so I tend to take spectroscopic principles rather seriously.  :-) ))
((I'm an apprentice chemist of sorts - a student of the probably-best chemical high school in my city, which is New York-level large. But I'm only 18, so my experience isn't what you'd call wide-ranging. I have studied NMR and mass spectroscopy, but electromagnetic's a dark forest to me.))
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Chromatic Wasp

• Bay Watcher
  • Art by Tae (Raspcherry)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2014, 02:04:28 pm »

Use the nanobots to vibrate the glass case surrounding the laser-optic turret. That ought to throw it off.
Come on up to the stage! Are you trembling with fear and excitement?

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2014, 03:14:20 pm »

Order nanites to disassemble my commander's body to bits as tiny as they can and then assemble it back in the required position.

((I wonder if that weird thing works.))
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2014, 03:17:00 pm »

((I believe it's gonna end badly in Fun.))

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2014, 03:29:08 pm »

((Well, I should compensate a win of previous task by at least one fail. That might be a proper chance for fail.))
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2014, 03:52:03 pm »

CNR Laboratory, Ceres
Feb 2nd, 2398
14:15 GMT

Avis-Mergulus AKA Anton "Tosha" Teremnoi
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

[3] You recall a bit of chemistry to yourself. There is a gas, a common part of smog and other forms of pollution, that is made up of atomic components found in regular air. Since the Cloud is able to function as a catalyst for chemical reactions... you try flooding the room with NO2 to see if you can obscure the laser. The nanites can sense physical boundaries directly, so being unable to see normally shouldn't inhibit your ability to progress.

The room slowly turns to red, and you step out of cover. The laser turret, despite the gas cloud, tracks onto you and shines its infra-red beam on your commander, unaffected by the gas.

You hear a loud beeping noise coming from the rocket launcher in your lane.

darkpaladin109 AKA David "Pirate Dave" Smith

[2] Alas, the Cloud is unable to penetrate the glass casing surrounding the turret! Fortunately, use of the Cloud does not require visual contact, so you did not have to step out of cover to make the attempt.

Samarkand AKA Felicia Hasting

You have the nanites heat dust particles in the air and produce light in the visible spectrum--as well as heat--somewhere near one of the launchers. The turret in the center of the room tracks onto the heat signature and emits an invisible beam that you detect with your thermal vision mode. [2] The missile fails to launch as its target is too close, but at least you verified that the turret uses an infra-red beam.

After some time, the turret disregards the glowing cloud of nanoparticles and returns to scanning the room. You hurry behind cover before it spots you.

Comrade P. AKA Hamilton Teromo

You know that the nanites accept commands naturally just as the controllable bodies do, so you expect to be able to give them A.I. subroutines as well. Hopefully, that means you can order the nanites to deconstruct your commander and, at the same time, have others carry the materials and rebuild the commander in the exact same form.

If this goes wrong, you'll just end up wiping out your commander and have no means to control the nanites afterward.
[6] The cloud deconstructs your commander unit, while others carry the minute, undetectable particles over to the other side of the room. No longer able to give them orders, you watch the Cloud through the room's corner cameras as tiny sparks slowly weld together bits and pieces of the dismantled robot, eventually forming a pristine new body on the other side. You notice that somehow, there is still material suspended within the Cloud despite the nanites no longer working to rebuild the commander unit.

"I... is that cheating?"
"No, it isn't. That's the magic of our nanite technology. Do you see now, doctor? The potential is limitless!"
"I only fear what would happen if it ends up in the wrong hands."

Chromatic Wasp AKA Chandler Davis
Comrade P. AKA Hamilton Teromo

[6] The nanites vibrate the glass. You hope this would negatively affect the laser's ability to be focused on the same target for extended periods of time. Instead, the glass shatters, and the broken pieces fall to the floor.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2014, 04:03:25 pm »

-Ass cactus.

Dive for the central trench! Heat the air around the missile launcher, hopefully causing the missile to detonate before it gets me.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2014, 04:05:36 pm »

Heat the air around the laser turret and try to make it malfunction.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2014, 04:10:28 pm »

Uhm, well, did I just succeed? I don't like the excessive parts nanites left unattched...
Try to take control over my commander unit again.
Sigs

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2014, 04:17:46 pm »

((Do my nanites have any amount of vanadaium? You said they catalyze chemical reactions, and that is used a catalyst for some, so hopefully they have some?))
My Area

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2014, 04:20:00 pm »

((Hey, Samarkand, what reaction are you going to perform? As far as I remember vanadium is used mostly in oxidation reactions a a catalyst. Just interested.))
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 04:25:51 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 43