Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cheese Fortress  (Read 2590 times)

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
Cheese Fortress
« on: March 09, 2014, 08:04:02 pm »

Has anyone ever tried to make a fortress like a human town? Like, instead of digging into the earth you build above ground buildings and such. I plan on trying it, and wanted to know if anyone else has, so I can know how hard/easy its going to be.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:34:21 pm by Jboy2000000 »
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
Re: Human Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 08:18:00 pm »

Having played a few tower challenges, they show that above ground buildings take a lot of time to build, even if you want to make a simple wooden box, never-mind those massive forts and castles that you see in adventure mode! The fact that the average human house is a pile of wood with a dirt floor, overcrowded with peasants with perhaps two beds if they're lucky suddenly makes sense.

Also, pro tip: When building a roof, if you're lazy but still want it to not look absolutely horrid, this plan should aid you somewhat:
.▲▲▲.
.▲O▲.
.▲▲▲.

Basically, it's a small dome roof. Way more attractive then a mere flat top, and it doesn't take any more resources to build.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 08:49:43 pm »

Human Forts are something that's been done quite a bit on the forum. Some are just dwarfs enjoying the sunshine, others are modded humans building proper towns. Generally the first concern should be a communal dining room with a food stockpile dug beneath it, after that a wall and a dormitory to house the bulk of your little dorfs/humans/modded-space-monkey-ninjas while you build individual houses.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 09:08:32 pm »

I built a cheese fort once (added cheese bricks made from cheese) on the surface.

I NEEDED SO MUCH CHEEEEESE

Either way, you're gonna need a lot of logs or a lot of blocks.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 09:34:03 pm »

I built a cheese fort once (added cheese bricks made from cheese) on the surface.

Hooooooollllllld on there! You can make cheese wall? Forget a human town Im going to make an underground fortress with walls of cheese. How do you make cheese though?

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cheese Fortress
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 09:49:44 pm »

You can use dfhack embark anywhere onto a human fort, kill the humans after you've powered up a little bit, and take it over.

Alternatively you can dig under it and cave in the mother.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 09:53:26 pm »

Hooooooollllllld on there! You can make cheese wall? Forget a human town Im going to make an underground fortress with walls of cheese. How do you make cheese though?

Cheese is made at the Farmers Workshop, from a bucket of milk. I modded in a custom workshop with a custom reaction that turned cheese into cheese blocks, for teh lelz, and made a city of cheese.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 10:34:14 pm »

You can use dfhack embark anywhere onto a human fort, kill the humans after you've powered up a little bit, and take it over.

Alternatively you can dig under it and cave in the mother.
dfHack? That sounds like it would be cool to embark inside a human town/castle/whatever. Do humans make farms? Because I think Ive seen them on the map, but couldn't embark close enough to tell.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 10:37:16 pm »

Nice title!

The humans have straight lines of bushes, which always drop berries or tubers or whatever. They don't replant though.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 10:41:34 pm »

Nice title!

The humans have straight lines of bushes, which always drop berries or tubers or whatever. They don't replant though.
But can they be used as farm plots where your farmers can plant stuff?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 11:06:21 pm »

I embarked on a pair of tombs, hoping to claim them some day from the guardians inside. They vanished as soon as I sent in a horse to eat the curse. :/ Embarking and heading straight for the coffin got me a proper attack, so maybe you have to make your move before the game is reloaded?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 11:07:53 pm »

I don't remember if they are farm plots that you can [q] over, but you could DEFINITELY grow above ground crops there. Though the farm areas typically lack any structures or even humans.

You can also embark-anywhere onto a human tomb, and after a few ticks a zombie horde and a mummy will rush out and attack you if you didn't wall them in. However, there's plenty of treasure inside if you unforbid it.

If you embark into a human town you're actually probably guaranteed to die to a peasant/soldier rush unless you came with like 6 military dwarves and 20 dogs.

Finally, you can also embark directly on a necromancer tower and try your hand at cage trapping the necromancer(s) for later use.

Attacking the human fortresses is probably my favorite one, it's a role reversal and this time you're the siegers. If you can kill all the humans you'll have a pre-made fort to use against the incoming human and goblin sieges.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 11:28:35 pm »

So wait, embarking on a human town will any human instantly hostile? By the way, what is dfHack, and where can I get it?

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 04:32:24 am »

I vote for modding cheese to be a layer stone, renaming the dwarfs into mice and rolepaying that. Bonus points for modding cats to chase dwarfs.
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 07:40:54 am »

Bonus points for modding cats to chase dwarfs.
Tom has adopted Urist McJerry
Urist McJerry cancels gnaw bedroom: interrupted by Tom
Tom cancels interrupt McJerry: fell into cunning trap
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.
Pages: [1] 2