Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 193

Author Topic: Banter Thread  (Read 381315 times)

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile

Basically, something like a 4th Bay 12 Mafia?
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Bay 12 Mafia but where everyone plays roles based on themselves?

Hey Wolf, what's your new job?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile

Bay 12 Mafia but where everyone plays roles based on themselves?

Hey Wolf, what's your new job?
I'm an intern, really, programming android apps.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Slave labour, huh. Is this while you're studying? How are you finding it so far?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Slave labour, huh. Is this while you're studying? How are you finding it so far?
Slave labor is about right  :P
It's not too bad, actually.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile

I work at a fast food place, what's my role?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

I work at a fast food place, what's my role?
Your name is short for mastahcheeseburger, right?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While the Toad cleared the mafia game, I actually have something to bring up: the relative intensity of the insults and attacks that exist within the mafia games. Perhaps supernatural 7 is an extreme example, but the seeming anger and aggressiveness of most of you (myself included) is rather disturbing.

Is it not possible to have a mafia game without insults, without anger at another player? Or is that an integral part of how mafia functions?

Discuss.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile

We like to roleplay. Imagine it: Someone's murdering your friends one by one. It could be any of your friends. You're hurt, betrayed, scared, and (most importantly) paranoid as fuck. It's only natural.

Spoiler: Also... (click to show/hide)
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:38:09 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

Well, it's possible to play without insulting or swearing at each other, but it's not possible to play without getting mad at each other.
The game is designed around the concept of conflict. And the secondary concept of paranoia.
So of course people are going to get upset. But they can exercise self control and not insult each other. At least, not directly; implying that they don't have self control, for example, is fair game.  :P *troll face*  :P
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But I think there is a difference in that some people have a thin line between the in-and-out-of-character.  I personally don't have a thin line there: you insult me in game, I take it personally.  I know that it is in game only, but I still take it personally.  If I'm completely honest with myself, I still resent Jim a little bit for explicitly stating he was not going to talk to me back in CYOM just because he didn't agree with me (sorry Jim).  That's where the problems lie: some of this resentment lingers beyond the game with some people.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile

I think that has more to do with the person than the insults being hurled in the game.

I've pretty much forgotten all the insults anyone has leveled at me in-game.

I guess it's up to the individuals to decide how much of a jerk you can be before it becomes detrimental.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

If I'm completely honest with myself, I still resent Jim a little bit for explicitly stating he was not going to talk to me back in CYOM just because he didn't agree with me (sorry Jim).

I don't even remember what you're talking about.

I suppose I have the right avatar for this:

For you, the day Jim Groovester told you he was not going to talk to you was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:06:12 pm by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile

I think part of what's going on is that, this being a game where openness and transparency are generally considered very good and where expressing beliefs strongly is also considered very good, we tend to speak rather bluntly more often than we do outside the game.  Add the tense atmosphere flabort noted, and the fact that aggression is an effective tool for both scumhunting and looking active, and we get a game where insults/semi-insults are rather likely.

Pure insults can be avoided.  There is no use in calling people names not related to scumhood or actual qualities of their play (and nobody but Dariush needs to be called Dariush), for instance.  However, strongly game-related jabs are going to pop up.

Anger is hard to avoid, because people get rather emotionally invested in these games and don't like it when, say, other people try to kick them out of the game for little reason.  However, we can try to stay calmish.  We won't always succeed, though, and sometimes we'll even want to look angry.

Aggression isn't going to be avoided, because it's too useful.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 193