Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Town of Salem (Quick Online Mafia)  (Read 4321 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Town of Salem (Quick Online Mafia)
« on: March 09, 2014, 02:04:28 pm »

Recently found this while searching through Kickstarter for interesting things. It's a pretty neat game, a browser adaption of the Mafia/Werewolf party game, with a couple small changes. For those not familiar, Mafia is a party game in which players attempt to vote to lynch a hidden group of mafia members that assasinate the townspeople one by one. It's a pretty strategic game, and mafia games are played on this forum somewhere, too!

Town of Salem is a browser adaption, and the games go very quickly. It's basically the same game, except players get some final words after they die, and the game goes very quickly, giving a very short amount of time to discuss voting and such.

The game is currently in Alpha, but very playable. There is a kickstarter going on to finish it, which will add a lot more customization and vital features like playing with friends instead of just random people. Oh, and you currently are forced to use Facebook integration to log in, another feature expected to change if the Kickstarter succeeds.

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2002718381/town-of-salem-mafia-style-browser-game
Play Link: http://www.blankmediagames.com/TownOfSalem/

(You miiight have difficulty filling up a game depending on what time of day it is. Last night I had constant games starting, but around 3 today it took a few minutes.)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 02:06:26 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Town of Salem (Quick Online Mafia)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 02:16:24 pm »

Show it to the people in the Mafia section of Forum Games and Roleplaying, assuming they don't already know about it. *shrug*
It's not my kind of game, but I'm more than certain it's going to find a fair few fans in here.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 02:22:37 pm »

The Most Recent Beginner's Mafia is a good place to start if you're wanting to learn the basic rules. I'm not sure if it helps much, but you might want to look at it to see if you'd want to kickstart the Town of Salem.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 02:26:30 pm »

The Most Recent Beginner's Mafia is a good place to start if you're wanting to learn the basic rules. I'm not sure if it helps much, but you might want to look at it to see if you'd want to kickstart the Town of Salem.

Yeah, the game does a decent job of throwing you in there, too, if you want to just try it out. The Alpha is actually pretty good for an Alpha! More featured than a lot of online Mafia games I've seen.

Although you might have to ignore a few of the people >_< Immature names all around. This is why I want actual room hosting xD
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 04:24:40 pm »

Posting to watch/bumping for greatness
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 04:36:49 pm »

How does this compare to Mafia clients like EpicMafia?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 08:00:35 pm »

How does this compare to Mafia clients like EpicMafia?

You can leave a message to be displayed on death, and the client is pretty. Never used EpicMafia, but Salem is quick and free, just give it a try!

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 03:20:46 am »

Seems like this got quite a bit more popular in the recent time.
Games instantly fill up and last night there were about 2,5K active users in ~150 games.

I'm having a lot of fun with this actually, you guys should give it another try :)
(Even though there are quite a few 'kids' around, which can really ruin the gameplay for my friend and me, but if you're lucky you get a good game :D)