Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Back to where we are in June 2012?  (Read 1301 times)

H.P. Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Back to where we are in June 2012?
« on: March 07, 2014, 01:51:27 pm »

Let's have another round of useless productions about the next release, shall we?

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Back to where we are in June 2012?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 02:45:35 pm »

I have a great idea.  Let's log in to a forum representing an awesome community of strategy gamers who love one of the deepest and most unique game systems ever devised, and take a dump all over it because we're frustrated that the singular programmer of the entire project, despite his enormous commitment to the project, isn't moving forward as fast as we would like.

Wait a sec.  That's a crappy idea.

And yours is a crappy post.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 02:49:01 pm »

I have a great idea.  Let's log in to a forum representing an awesome community of strategy gamers who love one of the deepest and most unique game systems ever devised, and take a dump all over it because we're frustrated that the singular programmer of the entire project, despite his enormous commitment to the project, isn't moving forward as fast as we would like.

I believe that the op intended to write useless predictions, as in having another go at release date speculation rather than intending to call DF a useless production as it seems on first glance atm :>

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 02:56:00 pm »

I believe that the op intended to write useless predictions, as in having another go at release date speculation rather than intending to call DF a useless production as it seems on first glance atm :>

Very possibly true.  If I have misread OP's post, I apologize.

That said, it's a very easy post to misread.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 03:03:47 pm »

It will be released in april.

Why? Because it will always be released one month from the prediction.

When we reach april, the release will be in may.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

H.P. Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 03:34:04 pm »

...yes, that's a typo.  I'm at work and stealing company time for DF.  :)

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 04:39:05 pm »

It will be released when it's ready.

If Toady announces a specific date that the next release will be ready, it could be of the quality of many of the non-indy games. Specifically, Indy games tend to be somewhat better (in terms of quality per coders) because the coders don't have to work with such deadlines. Announcing a release date is the same as making a deadline. Deadlines cause stress. Stress causes programming problems, which requires debugging, which can cause more stress. In the end, you get a mess of code which may or may not actually work as intended, frequently a lower quality then what could have resulted with the exclusion of a deadline.

On the other hand, if one does "snapshot releases" (where they aren't trying to meet a deadline, but still have an announced release schedule for whatever is written then), you can end up with loads of builds which aren't really useful for playing, but more tailored for finding bugs in new code. However, because of how complicated DF's code seems to be (the 9+MB executable is _after_ heavy size optimization I surmise, taking evidence from the non-standard calling conventions used at the machine level), a good number of these builds might not even work in any meaningful way due to all the interactions, and the heavy optimization makes code debugging a pain (when I do compiles with gcc, I always `-g -O0` if I will debug). Besides, this technique pretty much only makes sense where the codebase is open, since then anyone could `-g -O0` it and then gdb it to the circus and back.

In the end, tl;dr, it is better the way it currently is, where releases are released when they are ready. Scheduled releases of any form aren't really appropriate for what Dwarf Fortress is.

EDIT: In case it isn't clear to anyone, I am a Great Programmer, but administration roles display with a greater priority ;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 04:41:17 pm by TruePikachu »
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 05:04:43 pm »

Announcing a release date is the same as making a deadline. Deadlines cause stress. Stress causes programming problems
Kinda wish product managers would knew that...
sigh
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 01:08:51 am »

Announcing a release date is the same as making a deadline. Deadlines cause stress. Stress causes programming problems
sigh

Product managers probably do know that, they just don't care, because meeting ambitious release dates cause greater profits :)
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 07:27:43 pm »

sigh

Product managers probably do know that, they just don't care, because meeting ambitious release dates cause greater profits :)

Well, to be fair here, when you are dealing with a big vendor they have deadlines because their promotional stuff, artwork, boxes, shelf space deals, amazon promotional codes and so on and so forth are all worked out months in advance and for specific timeframes.

Indy game creators don't have that, so can be flexible.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!