Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealing with Anger and Greed  (Read 1914 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Dealing with Anger and Greed
« on: March 07, 2014, 08:23:48 am »

I'm not sure how to structure things right now in the best way because we just had an agro fest here at my house at 7 in the morning.

My brother is has mental issues {we think it's autism, talks to himself and can get aggresive if talked to too straightly} and my mom who has been very angry over the past days over my step dad cheating on her, money issues, my outburst over college math, and food stamp bullshit.

It feels like a snowball effect all around. My mom starts getting agro, demanding we change what job i should have, going to church {i left because i couldn't stand the noise of loudspeakers in a tiny room}, making more friends, and just yelling when things go wrong on her side.

Yesterday i failed a practice exam for this online modular class that i have to take since i opted out of college algebra. I felt terrible and she woudn't stop asking me questions when i told her i just DON"T want to talk about it. Then she went on with the above and i left the house on another walk to vent my frustrations. I felt like i was going to fail algebra and never get my degree. Like my entire dream of travelling and having fun with optimal amounts of cash were just not going to happen. I felt like commiting suacide {obviously i didn't do it and i feel better this morning}.

Today i woke up calm ready to tackle the pixel shit out of the work in that same modular math class i was in. Then shit escalated out of nowhere. My brother asked why some government welfare check {or w.e} wasn't coming, my mom telling him it was deposited in the bank, him getting angry because he only has 53 dollars { were working class here btw lol}, and my mom getting even angrier and accusing us of being untalkable.

I see now that the last part does stick to me but honestly at 19 don't i have a fucking right to share agro news about my life when I WANT TO?!

It ended when my brother trew something light {that i feel was 50$ my mom gave him for gym membership or something} and i decided to GTFO because last time he was mad i punched me in the back of the head and our biological dad came down on both of us. Wish he would fix this by trowing my brother out but w.e. he can't and wouldn't have the heart to do it.

So bay 12'er's i ask: what the fuck can i do, if anything?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with Anger and Greed
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 10:37:15 am »

Move out.

Although that's in conflict with "Having optimal money to travel and have fun."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 12:25:27 pm »

Move out.

Although that's in conflict with "Having optimal money to travel and have fun."

Part time job and in college? moving out?

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/economy/generation-wait-share-young-adults-who-move-hits-50-year-f2D11591053

Sad but true. *le sigh*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 12:37:07 pm »

Trust me, I know this. I'm a product of it.

Then again, it was a personal choice. I could have moved pretty much any time I was employed. I chose not to because I liked the idea of not paying rent and building a money buffer more.

It makes more economic sense to live at home as long as it's feasible, but you give up the right to be left alone because of it.

Life is all about trade offs. If you want to save money so you can travel, then you don't have a lot of alternatives.

If your freedom and privacy is more important to you than your dream of traveling (which you know, sounds great but it sounds like it will leave you exactly where you started when it's over), then I'd suggest moving.

I'm not part of the generation that said this, but, I know quite a few who moved out at 18, got a job and paid their own way through school. It's a matter of what's most important to you, and what you're willing to sacrifice to have it. Safety, sanity, time, money.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 02:57:23 pm »

Yeah, nobody really lives the "travel and optimal cash" dream without making a ton of sacrifices. I've got a good job and will be a millionaire in 20 years thanks to investments, but I can't afford to travel. The people I know who travel a lot and enjoy spending are going to be in deep debt soon. I suppose this varies by country though, and you're not exactly the kind of person who'd have a parent sponsor your spending.

Hard to give advice because we don't know your living costs - moving out is so much more viable if you're not living in an expensive city.

Right now, I do have a 3 month old baby who's distracting me all the time, making it impossible to work, since I work from home. So I moved my working hours to 10 PM - 6 AM. No distractions.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 05:34:22 am »

You 19?
Get out of there.
get a lousy job, enough to pay room rent and food, and say hello to your new life of independence.

Also, forget dreaming about tavelling and having fun with optimal amounts of cash to spend. That's a sociopath's dream, with the amount of poverty in the world. Not a noble life goal.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 11:43:04 am »

Have you considered scaling down your travel plans? If you carpool with people, split the cost of a hotel room with your friends, and eat at cheap places or buy groceries, traveling (especially to nearby attractions) can be REALLY affordable. You don't need "optimal money" to do it, and honestly, you can have just as much fun in the beach one county away as you would in the bayou one country away.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 07:30:54 pm »

You will be much happier moving out.

If you need to, transfer into a college that has classes at night, or else get a night job. Schedule your classes so they're close together and you won't waste a lot of time in between - but if there is time in between, spend it doing homework and reading your textbooks.

Your life will be sleep, work, and school. You will have a little bit of free time but not much. This is your tradeoff; you escape the foul family environment but you have to work harder to live alone.

That's why people move in together, as a romantic relationship os just as roommates. Two people can split the rent and utilities, so they each have more spending money. Also things like cooking and laundry are easier if you do a lot at once, same work to make a big dinner vs. a small one with the same variety of ingredients but you can cook one day and someone else can cook the next day, etc. So consider looking around for a roommate who isn't totally awful. The best kind will be like you, just wanting a quiet place to recover at the end of the day.

The main thing is, don't feel like you need to stay at home to help support your family. You need to take care of yourself right now. If the best thing for you would be moving out, do what you need to do to make it happen.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 11:53:27 am »

Moving out doesn't mean living by yourself (although finding good roommates can be hard, it's well worth it)

If you're conservative in your spending (spending less than 1,600 a month, which should be pretty easy if you're sharing a place and debt-free) and making at least 30k a year, then it's not really all that hard to travel the world two weeks a year. I just spent two weeks touring Europe with my wife, and even with two people and plenty of splurging on fancy meals the entire trip cost maybe $3,000 total?

So long as you avoid burdening yourself down with debt and you're able to hold a non-minimum-wage-job, the dream of "regular travel" or even "world travel" is very possible.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 02:43:45 pm »

Yeah, nobody really lives the "travel and optimal cash" dream without making a ton of sacrifices. I've got a good job and will be a millionaire in 20 years thanks to investments, but I can't afford to travel. The people I know who travel a lot and enjoy spending are going to be in deep debt soon. I suppose this varies by country though, and you're not exactly the kind of person who'd have a parent sponsor your spending.
Excuse me, but this is simply not true.

Yes, "optimal cash" sounds a bit odd, but you can easily travel a lot, regardless of income. Most of the people I know do it, for years upon end. I myself have been travelling the world for 7 years now, and it makes me a mixture of sad and angry when I see uninformed people telling other people that it cant be done.

If it is travel you want, ask me all you want. I cant help with family disputes, moving out, university or other woes, but if you just want to circumnavigate the world, sail the carribean, work in Australia or volunteer in Africa, just ask. These things are a lot easier than most people assume. I myself travelled one time around the world when I was 19, your age. With only the money from my Magic card collection I sold. ;)

PS: Seeing that 3000$ for two weeks thing: You actually can travel nicely with 500$ per person per month. 3000$ would last you 6 months, even more so in the third world.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:50:33 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 10:03:37 am »

Heh, right. I'm actually from the third world, so to me, travelling almost always means higher expenses :P $3k might last you 6 months in some countries, but also take a year to earn for a fresh grad in my country.

If you plan on working freelance like on oDesk or selling indie games or something, you'll actually make higher profits travelling to third world countries. Get paid in dollars, live on rupiahs. The 4 Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss actually describes this lifestyle as a way to save costs.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 11:08:04 am »

Thats pretty much what I do. ;)

Thing is, OP mention $, which most likely means he is US American, in the US. Not living in India. ;) (or whatever type of ruphias you were talking about.. maybe Indonesia? ;) )
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::