Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Medieval Ghostbusters: Ready for testing  (Read 5226 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval Ghostbusters: It ain't dead yet
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2014, 04:31:07 pm »

PTW.
I remember the old thread.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2014, 06:28:53 pm »

This looks very interesting, although as many people have mentioned before some AI would be a massive plus.
Truthfully, although I currently have a few gaming friends willing to try all the crazy stuff I find on the net out, I don't really have enough for a solid team and a monster(foreveralone.jpg) - and playing with randoms sucks.

Even if the AI was relatively simple I could imagine it could be scary enough - or at least offer some challenge. Even if the single player/small-multi mode was very different - with multiple monsters around and so on, it'd be a welcome addition to the small number of co-op games available.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2014, 11:52:03 pm »

AI is unfeasible for me right now. At a later stage of development (when there aren't as many absolute necessities) I might consider it, but it's improbable.

There is a bit of light, showy fluff that worked its way into the game as I struggle towards more substantial goals. The protagonists now have an ability that lets them see in the dark, but without details and it reduces their mana significantly while it's active (meaning they're trading their ability to flee the monster for the ability to see where the monster is).
Spoiler: Normal (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Active (click to show/hide)
It's still a work in progress, and the scene is too light for it to be really useful, but I think it might have some potential when it's balanced properly.

In other news, I've gotten to the point where there are a few altars on the new map and I'm going back to add sounds. After that, it's hallucinations, double-checking monsters, and finally testing.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2014, 07:52:47 am »

Looking good.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2014, 10:10:48 pm »

Spoiler: Caution: Big Image (click to show/hide)

Normal and darkvision screenshots of a forest scene, where it's actually dark enough to matter.

Sound is pretty much done for the testing version of the map. Monsters are mostly working. I still need to tweak a few things, rebake the scene's lightmaps (again :/ ), and set up an after-death camera so that players who've died can still see what their comrades are doing. I'd forgotten about that, but it shouldn't take too long.

Also, I've noticed that these lists of 'I just have to...' are basically whatever is necessary at the moment followed by whatever's necessary at the moment after that. There're not all that accurate, is what I'm saying. Take them with a grain of salt.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2014, 12:11:01 am »

...Those are all completely black, featureless squares on my monitor. :P (except the one with the moon). It's an old CRT though, so I'm going to be an outlier.

I guess you need to be careful when incorporating light and darkness into gameplay design. People need to be able to calibrate it to the desired level on their hardware, but there's also going to be those who will happily max their brightness so that the "disadvantage" of darkness disappears.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2014, 08:08:48 am »

...Those are all completely black, featureless squares on my monitor. :P (except the one with the moon). It's an old CRT though, so I'm going to be an outlier.

I guess you need to be careful when incorporating light and darkness into gameplay design. People need to be able to calibrate it to the desired level on their hardware, but there's also going to be those who will happily max their brightness so that the "disadvantage" of darkness disappears.

Yeah this is my one problem with games that play off darkness, especially in multiplayer. It's way too easy to artificially boost up the brightness and have a massive advantage. how about if some stuff was only visible in darkvision if activated??
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2014, 10:24:50 am »

Yeah this is my one problem with games that play off darkness, especially in multiplayer. It's way too easy to artificially boost up the brightness and have a massive advantage. how about if some stuff was only visible in darkvision if activated??
Player trails, monster trails, which are indistinguishable, places where magic was used recently, etc.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2014, 10:19:49 pm »

Okay, I think it's ready for testing. I'll be making a thread on the Other Games board; head on over there if you'd be interested in trying it out.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

Re: Medieval Ghostbusters: Ready for testing
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2014, 11:03:53 pm »

Could you link it? But this looks really good.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medieval Ghostbusters: Ready for testing
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2014, 11:12:45 pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]