Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: V.4i - Frozen Kobold Challenge  (Read 8028 times)

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: V.4i - Frozen Kobold Challenge
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2014, 04:22:01 pm »

I've had kobolds drink toad extract and not turn into anything. Though I don't think I ever saved/reloaded.

And if you're going to do another fort, I think you should do warlocs.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2014, 04:59:46 pm »

Well...
If there is a fix for the toad extract, (and by fix I mean, that it works like originally, just without the save/reload bug, i really like the painful stuff that can happen) I will do more Kobolds...
Otherwise...
Yeah, I admit, I scanned through the Manual for Orcs, Gnomes and Warlocks today. Thought, I might get some inspiration.
Sadly I don't consider Gnomes as completed yet, so I will probably wait, until they are really finished. Also, while they have a lot of stuff to toy around with, I honestly just didn't get some proper theme to play around with for a story... Maybe I have an idea for those, when their time is ripe...
Orcs... Uhhhh... No, just no... I won't play them... Can't explain why, but somehow their gameplay just doesn't feel very smooth... Annoying micro management, weird mechanics, and looking way too easy... (incredibly easy access to metals, huge size etc...)

Leaves us with Warlocks... It seems a lot of people want to see me playing them.
Sadly I haven't really caught their tune yet. Not sure how to make them an interesting challenge. I considered an undeadless (so no ghouls/skeletons) fort... Change the civ, so all initial 7 and 2 migrant waves are warlocks, and then play with those 15 guys. Or play normally, but what goal should I pursue then?
Btw, the sky still only 15 tiles high? Not sure if it in the game or not, but I think there some way, that the Sky expands further...
DFHack claims to have an infinite sky plugin, but does not show any commands for it in the readme...

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2014, 05:14:27 pm »

The infinite sky plugin should be enabled automatically, just build something in the highest z-level and it should add a new z-level above that.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2014, 05:35:47 pm »

Here's my partial fixes for the toad extract bugs. It'll make frozen kobolds playable[IE:Not completely crippled when you reload]. Would have put them up earlier, but power outage.
Spoiler: Syndrome bugfixes (click to show/hide)
Replace everything from [PLANT:PSYCHOACTIVE_TOAD] to [DRINK:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK] in plant_fake with whats in the spoiler and that should hapen. Save/Reload bug is not completely fixed, but its better then what you described earlier. Don't panic if you reload and everyone turns into sheep. The duration is now about 400% less inconvenient.

Spoiler: Drink stack fixes (click to show/hide)
Replace everything from [REACTION:MAKE_PSYCHOACTIVE_DRINK] to [SKILL:BREWING] in the reaction_kobold file with whats in the spoiler to fix the drink stack bug. For real.

EDIT: If you still don't want to do kobolds because of the incompleteness of my "fixes [Understandable], I will probably still do one myself. If you're looking for a warlock challenge fort idea, undeadless fort sounds neat and 1-warlock would be cool too.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 05:40:31 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2014, 03:57:40 am »

Heh, guess that's what happens when I keep adding stuff on a regular basis.  I don't know if gnomes will ever be 'complete' until I flat-out run out of ideas of how to make them better.  Any particular points you think are missing?  Because I'd really like to see what you'd comeup with, given all those new machine options.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2014, 05:35:00 am »

Heh, guess that's what happens when I keep adding stuff on a regular basis.  I don't know if gnomes will ever be 'complete' until I flat-out run out of ideas of how to make them better.  Any particular points you think are missing?  Because I'd really like to see what you'd comeup with, given all those new machine options.
I think he is just burned out from too many machines in the last fort. ;)

Infinitesky works automatically, if you reach 15 it will add level 16 and so forth.

Why not a good, misunderstood Warlock? All i want to do is read my books and invent some new medicine... the undeads are just sideeffects from trying to cure death iyself. I want to help you people, why are you always coming with torches and pitchforks and drive me away? :'(
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2014, 07:20:00 am »

Why not go for Warlock beggars in the sewers of a human city? :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2014, 07:44:07 am »

Why not go for Warlock beggars in the sewers of a human city? :D
didnt i see a screenshot of this somewhere ? ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2014, 08:06:41 am »

Yes, but the dude isn't talking about it, you could. Or try the sewer of a kobolt fortress :D

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2014, 08:12:51 am »

Play a regular, unthemed warlock fort... then abruptly abandon after 1 year.

Then reclaim as kobolds.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2014, 03:44:42 pm »

If you don't make a Warlock fort, then I will ^_^
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2014, 04:12:30 pm »

Go for it! make sure to put LOTS of pictures!  Nobody seems to do warlock let's plays or report stories...

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2014, 04:16:35 pm »

Well... I'm slowly giving up hope for a bugfix on the toad extract :( I thought we have so many talented modders here ^^ (Sorry arcvasti, btu as I said, I would considers yours not as enough of a fix^^)
If it is like that...
Well... Then I should probably make the final post for Becordobar where I was also asking for technical assistance, but well... guess I just crash my own little world then. But I tried that before, and it is truly fun. :D

And about the next fort...
Yeah... Maybe I can bring myself to play Warlocks... But somehow I still lack an idea for it....
Or... Is it possible to get a 2x2 ocean embark with (clearly) less then a quarter land on it? But it should be embarkable, so I need a few landtiles... Just don't want a full quarter...

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2014, 06:15:02 pm »

I've gone and tried your challenge.
The first time I did it I
Spoiler: Result (click to show/hide)
and the second time is still going.
Frozen Kobolds? Challenge accepted.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 06:17:10 pm by xominxac »

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2014, 09:10:45 am »

Why not start over with another drink-strategy?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6