Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eyes Red After Napping (In The Afternoon)  (Read 22496 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Eyes Red After Napping (In The Afternoon)
« on: March 05, 2014, 06:53:40 pm »

Hey fellow bay12-ers,

I'm not sure what's wrong with me! Sometimes after school I take naps, and even after only like 30 minutes my eyes become bloodshot. What's goin' on?

Other, less weird affects appear to be some kind of post-nap weakness, felt mostly in my upper arms + elbow-joints, and a dry mouth.

I'm tempted to think it's some dehydration thing, or maybe a breathing problem? but I don't really know. This also doesn't happen to me after I wake up from normal sleeping.

EDIT: If it helps in diagnosing this, my Uncle had Sleep Apnea. Is that a genetic thing?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 06:56:53 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Eyes Red After Napping (In The Afternoon)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 06:56:50 pm »

It might be just dehydration or overheating. The room you nap in during the day will probably be warmer than the one you sleep in at night. Your sleeping position probably changes during the night too, meaning you might be starting out in an uncomfortable position and then moving later, but when you nap you never get the chance to move.

Just my 2 monies, not a doctor, etc.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 06:58:25 pm »

It might be just dehydration or overheating. The room you nap in during the day will probably be warmer than the one you sleep in at night. Your sleeping position probably changes during the night too, meaning you might be starting out in an uncomfortable position and then moving later, but when you nap you never get the chance to move.

Just my 2 monies, not a doctor, etc.

Thanks. Unfortunately, my room is potentially too warm as it is so i'll take a look at that. As far as position goes, I wake up in pretty much the same position I fall asleep in.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 07:00:06 pm »

Dehydration/Heat Exhaustion is typically accompanied by nausea. From experience, it should be worse than you describe, in my opinion. Also, if you were dehydrated due in part to heat you'd probably be all sweaty.

Maybe you're allergic to naps?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 07:51:45 pm »

Dehydration/Heat Exhaustion is typically accompanied by nausea. From experience, it should be worse than you describe, in my opinion. Also, if you were dehydrated due in part to heat you'd probably be all sweaty.

That would be disturbing. Any possibility it could be sleep apnea?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 08:09:27 pm »

That would be disturbing. Any possibility it could be sleep apnea?
I doubt it. Red eyes and achiness aren't well-documented symptoms of asphyxiation.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 08:24:57 pm »

How red are we talking? Because my older brother always gets what i refer to as LAZER EYES when he wakes up from a nap, which are really quite red, although not blood red. If your eyes are literally BLOOD red, then you should probably get that ocular bleeding checked out. These lazer eyes, however, turn completely normal again after 5-10 minutes with no lasting effects, except that i may have poked fun at him about it.

As for post-nap weakness, it's possibly because you wake up during deep sleep, and your body has yet to recover fully from the sleepy time paralysis that affects every non-sleepwalker ever. Besides that, it's normal to not feel super strong after just waking up.

Regarding dry mouth, it could be that you're simply breathing through your mouth while sleeping, possibly because your nostrils are somehow blocked. I know that dries my mouth up at express speed. It could also be dehydration, although that would typically also come with a pounding headache in my experience.

Also, about sleep apnea, Wikipedia tells me that this would rather manifest itself as poor sleep quality rather than what you're feeling, and would not be restricted to naps. If you're worrying about this, you could check with a doctor, although it's not dangerous.

Honestly, i wouldn't worry about this. I also feel super groggy when waking up from a nap, possibly because one doesn't sleep nearly as long or well when napping as opposed to sleeping at night. I am not a doctor, however, so take this with an appropriate amount of salt.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 08:31:35 pm »

LAZER EYES
New thread subtitle acquired.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 10:47:00 pm »

use cucumber

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 06:44:56 pm »

use cucumber
in what way are you suggesting?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 06:47:09 pm »

use cucumber
in what way are you suggesting?

IN WHAT WAY ARE YOU IMPLYING!?

perv.

(I have a dirty mind D: sorry.)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 06:52:52 pm »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 10:27:09 am »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.