Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Author Topic: Distant Colony v2 - Boardgame - Game Over!  (Read 18820 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Colony v2 - Boardgame - [SET-UP]
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 01:21:17 pm »

Hey Meth, I'm probs just overlooking it but I can't see where food use is explained. I gather colonists eat food during production but I can't see any of the specifics.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2014, 02:15:55 pm »

Hey Meth, I'm probs just overlooking it but I can't see where food use is explained. I gather colonists eat food during production but I can't see any of the specifics.

I am not a drug  >:(

Anyway, Colonists require food in order to do anything. With the exception of Farms, in order to activate a building you need to pay the Food cost for each colonist in addition to any resources used by the building.

Here are some examples:

Farm - takes 1 colonist, does not need food to produce. Net production is 1 Food.
Harvester - Takes 1 colonist, requires food to produce. Net production is -1 Food, +1 Basic Raw resource
Basic Goods Factory - Takes 1 colonist, requires food & basic raws to produce. Net Production is -1 Food, -1 Basic Raw resource, +1 Basic Goods
University - Takes 2 colonists (1 higher skill than the other), requires food for each colonist. Net Production is -2 Food and an Upgraded colonist. (Lower skill goes up one level).

Complexes may be partially staffed/utilized. So if you have two colonists working in a Goods Factory Complex, but not enough food, you could choose to do a partial activation and have it act like a basic Goods Factory instead of the full Complex. Same goes for Criminals in a Prison.

The Bonus for playing the Production Phase is that get to Activate one Colonist (your choice) for free, basically reducing your food costs for that round.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2014, 02:39:34 pm »

Now, I'd like to try and make the phase selection more democratic than last time, so I'm going to openly declare that I choose Production.

If between us we manage to get colonisation and build too, then I think we'd all be very happy.

While I don't intend to always claim what I'm doing, I will say that I'm doing Colonize.  I had remarked to Meph that while Build is a good first turn choice, there's no actual incentive to doing it yourself.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

xelada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2014, 05:23:53 pm »

I shall go production, more or less for the free food it provides (in essence that what you gain from it).

BTW does the contract mean you pay the amount it cost at the time of it being taken out, or time of cashing it in?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2014, 06:29:23 pm »

I shall go production, more or less for the free food it provides (in essence that what you gain from it).

BTW does the contract mean you pay the amount it cost at the time of it being taken out, or time of cashing it in?

You pay the amount it costs when you physically buy the resource. The Contract just means that you don't have to worry about other people buying all a resource before you and leaving you without any.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2014, 06:54:06 pm »

GWG- if you haven't already sent a phase in, you should probably do Building, as that's not covered yet.

Sorry for taking your name in vain, Mephansteras. Can we start proposing trades now or should we wait until the game offically starts?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:12:37 pm by notquitethere »

xelada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2014, 07:30:37 pm »

Two more inquiries:
Can the contract be invoked even if no-one goes trade/before the trade phase?
Do you need to use the an organize or HQ to move people into conversion buildings from elsewhere.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2014, 08:14:44 pm »

Can we start proposing trades now or should we wait until the game offically starts?
You guys are welcome to discuss trades all you like. They don't go into effect until the game actually begins, but you can agree on whatever.

Two more inquiries:
Can the contract be invoked even if no-one goes trade/before the trade phase?
Do you need to use the an organize or HQ to move people into conversion buildings from elsewhere.
All Trades off-world happen only during the Trade phase.

That is correct, with the exception that you can fully staff a building when it is first built.
Come play Mafia with us!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2014, 09:00:23 pm »

Would anyone be interested in selling a machine to me for 7 wealth? I'll have the money on my turn. You'd be making a profit compared to selling it on the market.

Belay that. I've got other plans now.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 06:36:49 am by notquitethere »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2014, 04:46:13 am »

Hey Meph, does the temporary housing have infinite capacity?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2014, 09:08:20 am »

Hey Meph, does the temporary housing have infinite capacity?

Yes, it does.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2014, 01:48:05 pm »

Phase choices are in:

PlayerPhase
KashyykProduction
GreatWyrmGoldBuild
ToasterColonization
xeladaProduction
notquitethereSurvey

Phases this round are Survey, Colonization, Build, and Production.

Current Turn Order
xelada
notquitethere
Kashyyk
GreatWyrmGold
Toaster
Come play Mafia with us!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Colony v2 - Boardgame - Round 1
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2014, 03:24:36 pm »

Oh hey, I'm last.  That's no fun.

Survey: +1 W
Colonization:  +1 Skilled, reserve Expert
Build:  Build Harvester; staff with Skilled
Production:  Activate Farm/Harvester:  +1 Basic Raw

Net:  +1 W, +1 Basic Raw, +1 Skilled, Harvester Built
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:45:29 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2014, 03:30:06 pm »

Oh hey, I'm last.  That's no fun.

Survey: +1 W
Colonization:  +1 Skilled, reserve Expert
Build:  Build Harvester
Production:  Activate all:  +1 Basic Raw

Net:  +1 W, +1 Basic Raw, +1 Skilled, Harvester Built

A few clarifications:
  When you build the Harvester, who are you staffing it with? If you don't state Staffing the building would remain unstaffed.
  You said Activate all: Are you activating your Colony Center? It starts staffed with an Unskilled. Note that you only produce enough food for one building, but you do start with 2 in storage you want to use those.
Come play Mafia with us!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2014, 03:46:09 pm »

Oh yeah.  A bit rusty!

Also, you may want to fix this:

Buildings also have a Size, generally 1 or 2. You have 15 total spaces in your Settlement available. One is already used by your Colony Center, leaving you 14 spaces to use during the game.

...since we also start with a Farm now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24