Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [GNOME] - Bug reports and known issues  (Read 6059 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
[GNOME] - Bug reports and known issues
« on: March 05, 2014, 03:27:04 am »

While I've done a lot of work on making the gnome's machinery work as smoothly as possible, they are a very coding-complex race to write and bugs turning up in the future can be expected.  The good news is that most machinery related patches can be installed mid-game, so you don't have to worry about losing your latest megaproject every time a fix is released.

To help with reporting machinery related bugs, type 'machina d' into the dfhack console to initialize debug mode.  This will print out all machine-related info to the dfhack console as it occurs.  Type 'machina' to turn debug mode off.

Or maybe it's just a plain old DF raw issue.  Report those here too.

Be sure to check the guide's bug section for known bugs and fixes.  Also, make sure you are playing with the latest patch, as I will update periodically.

Latest Patch (V0.76): LINK

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
Re: [GNOME] - Bug reports and known issues
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 10:15:48 am »

when playing as dwarves (maybe other non-gnome races) the teleportbase script dumps errors everytime you create a stockpile or workshop.

also, there's something that's dumping what appears to be item information, it might be from one of your gnome scripts, i'm not sure.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:00:17 pm »

Teleportbase isn't from the gnomes.  I think it's warlocks.
The item information dump could be though.  Are you using the latest version?  Do you know when it's dumping the information?

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 12:16:52 pm »

Teleportbase isn't from the gnomes.  I think it's warlocks.
The item information dump could be though.  Are you using the latest version?  Do you know when it's dumping the information?
yeah it's the most recent version. i can't tell what's triggering the item dump, maybe when migrants arrive?

PiggiesGoMoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 04:00:36 am »

I'm finding a lot of problems/bugs, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm using masterwork, and I have version .75 of the gnome mod.

1. I can't get the gnomes to equip muskets from the artificer's forge, or from anywhere else. The same goes for alot of foreign weapons (foreign crossbows, etc). I CAN, however, get them to equip rail guns, and every other gnome-exclusive weapon.

2. I can't equip, place, or use explosive traps in any way. They are also listed as a foreign weapon in the squad equip screen, like muskets.

3. The manual says grenade launchers are made in the forge, but there is no such option. There is also no option in the manager to build them.

4. I couldn't train stray animals that I bought from the vendor with the advanced animal training workshop. I also couldn't train automatons, but that issue is already posted on another thread.

5. The requirements to build various items say "rock" where it is not applicable. For example the geothermal power generator says "rock boiler" and "rock pressure gauge", but you can't build those out of rock.

6. There's an task option called "fire a bomb" in the manager but I can't find an explanation anywhere as to what it does.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:12:52 pm by PiggiesGoMoo »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 05:15:04 am »

Most foreign items are too big for gnomes to use, which is why they have their own versions of most weapons.  I might have given them the option to make large muskets in the forge by mistake though.

'Rock' just means 'inorganic', or practically speaking, 'rock or metal'.  This is a hard-coded oddity that exists in vanilla DF as well.

'Fire a bomb' is a reaction of the Aerial Transport Device.

I'll check out the other things.

PiggiesGoMoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 05:58:02 am »

Most foreign items are too big for gnomes to use, which is why they have their own versions of most weapons.  I might have given them the option to make large muskets in the forge by mistake though.

'Rock' just means 'inorganic', or practically speaking, 'rock or metal'.  This is a hard-coded oddity that exists in vanilla DF as well.

'Fire a bomb' is a reaction of the Aerial Transport Device.

I'll check out the other things.

Ah, my mistake, for some reason I never noticed that in vanilla DF. As for the guns from the forge, I wonder if the pistols have the same problem. I tried a foreign flintlock pistol and my gnomes wouldn't equip it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 06:47:08 am »

The gnomes have their own version of pistols, simply called 'pistol'.  Personally I think the minimum size for flintlock pistols should be decreased but I've avoided changing any items that I didn't make to avoid update-related problems.

PiggiesGoMoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 04:12:34 pm »

I meant explosive traps in #2, not weapon traps.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 02:43:47 am »

I meant explosive traps in #2, not weapon traps.

Have you tried using them in weapon traps?  That's what they are supposed to be for.

PiggiesGoMoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 08:05:28 am »

Just tried them in weapon traps, they work. The rifles are fixed now too with the new patch.

The problem I'm having now is I can't get my thunder coil to fire. I've supplied 162 power to it... so I assume it should fire? It's also underground, maybe that is a problem?

I'll add, I haven't actually seen it operate near enemies. The manual says it attack friendlies as well as enemies, so I'm assuming that the moleweasels and dwarves that walked near it should trigger it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 08:10:50 am by PiggiesGoMoo »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 08:19:25 am »

Just tried them in weapon traps, they work. The rifles are fixed now too with the new patch.

The problem I'm having now is I can't get my thunder coil to fire. I've supplied 162 power to it... so I assume it should fire? It's also underground, maybe that is a problem?

I'll add, I haven't actually seen it operate near enemies. The manual says it attack friendlies as well as enemies, so I'm assuming that the moleweasels and dwarves that walked near it should trigger it.

The thunder coil should continuously emit lightning regardless of whether or not there are any creatures nearby.  It needs a lot of power to work though, 100 is the absolute minimum amount.    I'll check to see if it's working properly, but you might just not be giving it enough power to notice a change.

Shardey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 12:31:15 am »

It appears that the automated factory is able to draw power through floors;
I had an automatic woodcutter underneath a gear assembly gathering grid I was using to bring power down from a set of windmills, and the woodcutter got power from the upstairs gear assembly that happened to be on top of it. The floor was also not channeled off.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 12:38:40 am »

It appears that the automated factory is able to draw power through floors;
I had an automatic woodcutter underneath a gear assembly gathering grid I was using to bring power down from a set of windmills, and the woodcutter got power from the upstairs gear assembly that happened to be on top of it. The floor was also not channeled off.

Yes, this is intentional.  Logical or not, it's much simpler than the workarounds needed to build a workshop on top of a channeled tile so I left it in for gameplay purposes.  Powering from above is also intentional, it lets you save power and space with certain designs.

Shardey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 12:48:36 am »

Yes, this is intentional.  Logical or not, it's much simpler than the workarounds needed to build a workshop on top of a channeled tile so I left it in for gameplay purposes.  Powering from above is also intentional, it lets you save power and space with certain designs.

Very well. I was merely surprised to see it power up through the floor. It seemed like a bug.
Pages: [1] 2 3