Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: [GNOME] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 11913 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
[GNOME] - Gameplay Questions
« on: March 05, 2014, 03:17:13 am »

With their small size, animal taming system, complex tech tree, and reliance on automatic machines, Gnomes take some getting used to in order to play effectively.  There's a lot of content included in the manual, but if anything is unclear, ask it here.  Feel free to post any discoveries or tricks you figure out as well!

Latest Patch (V0.76): LINK

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: [GNOME] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 03:25:56 pm »

Can "Input" workshops be chained together to load machines from a safe distance?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 04:06:23 pm »

Not really a "gameplay" question but:
Do you mind if I lift some of the DFHack stuff and make Rubble addons with it? I really like machines, and (provided it's not too hard to Rubblize them) I thing some of these would be wonderful additions to Better Dorfs (with credit/permission of course).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 04:49:50 pm »

Can "Input" workshops be chained together to load machines from a safe distance?

No.  Input > machine > output > input is the only chaining method.  However, any method you have of getting an item onto an input tile will work; it doesn't have to be 'loaded' through the regular reaction.  To load from a safe distance, use minecarts or garbage pits.

Not really a "gameplay" question but:
Do you mind if I lift some of the DFHack stuff and make Rubble addons with it? I really like machines, and (provided it's not too hard to Rubblize them) I thing some of these would be wonderful additions to Better Dorfs (with credit/permission of course).

Go right ahead!  The machinery requirements are all in machina.lua, and you can take the buildings and reactions from the appropriate files.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 12:45:06 pm »

So, beyond more easily taming animals and getting a heads-up for events, is there a really good reason to be nice to nature? 'Cause I've been debating putting a half-dozen high-powered druidic-device/wood-chipper combos out in the wilderness for the easy meat/leather and the 'Cons' side of my list is a bit on the short side.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 05:00:32 pm »

So, beyond more easily taming animals and getting a heads-up for events, is there a really good reason to be nice to nature? 'Cause I've been debating putting a half-dozen high-powered druidic-device/wood-chipper combos out in the wilderness for the easy meat/leather and the 'Cons' side of my list is a bit on the short side.

If you manage to pull that off, you will discover an exploit that I haven't figured out a proper way to deal with: Wild animals killed by traps do not count against your score.
Anyway, no, those are currently the only two benefits, aside from role playing.  (Then again, those Dark Gnomes had to have come from somewhere...)  I do intend to deepen the druidic game though.
(P.S.: Forget wood-chippers.  Catapults are much more fun :P)

Edit: With the latest patch, this is no longer the case.  Druidic merit must be positive to do most things with the advanced animal training area.  However, hunting in general doesn't lower your score too much.

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 07:38:45 pm »

Question about phoning home.
Do I have to do it yearly to get regular migrant and trader? Cause the manual tell that you just have to let them know you are here.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 08:11:52 pm »

Question about phoning home.
Do I have to do it yearly to get regular migrant and trader? Cause the manual tell that you just have to let them know you are here.

Yes, you have to do it every time you want traders, they will never come on their own.  I'm not sure about migrants, but I'm pretty sure they'll stop coming eventually if a caravan never visits.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 08:38:07 pm »

How do I make pistons? Not in the manual, absolutely essential. I am told I need a 'heavy rock piston' to make a telegraph, but no 'rock piston' appears in the manager list, and I have several copper pistons made in the metalsmith forge.

No rock piston appears anywhere.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:02:35 pm by lastofthelight »

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 09:00:06 pm »

Trap component in the metalsmith forge.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 09:03:19 pm »

I have several copper pistons, though. There are no -rock- pistons. The copper pistons don't seem to do it.

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 09:09:07 pm »

I had the same problem. "Rock" just means inorganic. Copper pistons are fine.

Check for burrows / forbidden etc. There must be some problem there.

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 12:42:31 am »

Thank for reply :D

Another question, I see that some exotic gun only use hammer skill. Is this mean my glue gunner will be counted as a malee unit?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 01:24:34 am »

Thank for reply :D

Another question, I see that some exotic gun only use hammer skill. Is this mean my glue gunner will be counted as a malee unit?

Yes.  This is a problem with the infinite ammo weapons that I wasn't able to work out, technically it just grants interactions and can be thought of as the gnome answer to mages.  Locking them behind fortifications may work.

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 12:50:11 pm »

When a nature shrine tells me "that animal doesn't want to join you", what does it mean exactly? I tried to charm some giant otters but it didn't work. It's a different message from the low skill one so I assume there's a different cause.
Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7