Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: [GNOME] - Gameplay Questions  (Read 11899 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: [GNOME] - Gameplay Questions
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 12:19:21 pm »

When a nature shrine tells me "that animal doesn't want to join you", what does it mean exactly? I tried to charm some giant otters but it didn't work. It's a different message from the low skill one so I assume there's a different cause.

It means your nature merit isn't high enough.  Giant animals tend to have high petvalues in general and are typically harder to tame or work with.

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 05:15:38 am »

Cool, that's what I figured. Thanks. (maybe you could make the exact cause pop up in dfhack just in case people want to know explicitly?)
Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 11:11:10 am »

Cool, that's what I figured. Thanks. (maybe you could make the exact cause pop up in dfhack just in case people want to know explicitly?)
I could do that...but I try to keep spamming the console to a minimum when possible.  The 'commune with nature' is an exception since its whole purpose is to get information.

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 03:05:19 pm »

Understandable!

Do you know why I can't make grenades at the moment? I have a pile of blackpowder...

...and grenade/bomb casings of all kinds of materials...

...yet it doesn't want to let me make anything.

Hitting the reaction just shows me 'grenade casings' and '  blackpowder pouch' [sic] which should both be available. No burrows around and everything is accessible. Any idea what's up?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 04:38:25 pm »

Just checked the reaction... turns out there's an error in it.  The blackpowder making reaction creates a material called INORGANIC:BLANK_CHEMIST, the reaction for the bombs calls for INORGANIC:BLANK.
I'll be fixed for the next version, but you could fix it in mid-game if you want.  The file is reaction_gnome.

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 08:14:31 am »

That fixed it, thanks.

One more question: how does the geothermal engine work? I have it above magma but I can't work out how to get power out of it. It's not affecting any gears or axles attached to the power tiles. Same thing happened with the steam engine. The manual doesn't mention anything about it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 08:58:14 am »

That fixed it, thanks.

One more question: how does the geothermal engine work? I have it above magma but I can't work out how to get power out of it. It's not affecting any gears or axles attached to the power tiles. Same thing happened with the steam engine. The manual doesn't mention anything about it.

You have to have water/magma underneath their center tile, with an open tile leading to it.  The only way to do this, if I am not mistaken, is to make a stairway leading downward under the building.  Then you have to select the 'stoke boiler' reaction.
They are both copies from the steam engine plugin, which I haven't been able to work out how to edit, unfortunately.

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 09:18:57 am »

I've done that. I can't do it in the center tile since the stairs block it, but the message suggests it shouldn't be there anyway ("Must have magma accessible from below one of the 8 boundary tiles"). All of the surrounding magma forges, magma smelters etc. work fine.

It's okay if it's just a bugged-out third party plugin since I have other methods of generating power (giant windmill farms are not fun to set up) but it'd be good to know for future reference.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 01:39:36 pm »

It's just the steam engine/magma steam engine with different names.  That's what the main guide says to do.  I've never actually tested them... most of the time I just power everything by filling the local river with water wheels.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 11:24:16 am »

All of my children are extremely unwelcome by nature, any idea how I can avoid this?

"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 12:25:39 pm »

All of my children are extremely unwelcome by nature, any idea how I can avoid this?
If you want to know the specific details, check the DFHack console after communing with nature.

Avoiding it is mostly a matter of protecting your pets, especially those caught or recruited from the wild.  The quickest way of boosting your score is to release high-value animals into the wild.  Opening up the first-layer cavern, setting up some cage traps to capture and tame giant insects, and then releasing them can raise your score a lot.  Also, giant spiders of all kinds should be regarded as sacred animals.  (Their high pet value makes them very valuable to have with you or release, but killing them can knock down your score a lot.  Kind of a problem when the wild ones insist on attacking your pets...)

Also, make sure you aren't keeping any natural wild or tame animals in cages.  That hurts your score a lot, but it will go back to normal once you let them out.

Lytalo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2014, 01:16:13 am »

Anyone know if the constructs can be trained? I made a couple, a dog and a bear out of copper, and they say they are awaiting to be trained, but I cannot seem to train them. Any ideas?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2014, 11:46:22 am »

Anyone know if the constructs can be trained? I made a couple, a dog and a bear out of copper, and they say they are awaiting to be trained, but I cannot seem to train them. Any ideas?

Hmm...
This is probably a bug in the creature spawning script, the same thing that was preventing spawned creatures from being assigned as nobles.  The construct-creature script is based on a modified version of the old spawnunit, before that problem was fixed.  So... I guess I'll have to redo it including whatever changes were made in the new script.  Something about a nemesis variable, if I recall correctly.

Faulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 05:20:14 pm »

Gnomes don't have ore processor? Or there is other way to deal with *ore bearing* rocks?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 12:10:32 am »

Gnomes don't have ore processor? Or there is other way to deal with *ore bearing* rocks?

As of the latest patch update, the arc furnace, an automatic powered workshop, has all the functions of Masterwork's ore processing and high level smelting workshops (except for alloy making, but you can make the important alloys in the smelter).  Note that for most ore, you will have to put them through the furnace twice, or chain two arc furnaces together to fully process them into metal.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7