Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: One Way Heroics  (Read 27837 times)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
One Way Heroics
« on: March 04, 2014, 09:08:45 am »

The game's 15% off in Steam until 2014-Mar-08, for a low low price of USD 2.69.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266210/

It's a roguelike with pressure ever looming to the left side of the screen, in the form of a shadow engulfing the world. You must travel to the east, hopefully getting stronger along the way, because to the far east, the Demon Lord, who summoned the darkness, awaits.

Key features:
- JRPG look and feel
- No location transition; everything happens on the overworld map
- Shadow pressing you to move on vs stick around longer to explore more of this town/dungeon
- Turn-based
- JRPG style menu system
- Running non-stop, your hero still require sustenance
- Items have limited durability
- With each death (or victory) you gain hero points, which can be used to purchase more options (and thus more freedom) in future games
- Item vault to transfer items to your next characters. Item vault size is expanded by using hero points
- Unlockable classes
- Unlockable perks
- Randomly generated world with a short text-based random seed
- Many features in the world which you can explore. (I found some high-end merchants hidden inside a mountain once. Was too slow to get back out).
- You can replay a world by entering the seed
- Fast paced. You can easily win a game in one sitting
- Online events everyday. There are worlds with special rules which you can play in
- Multiple difficulty levels can be unlocked
- Great attention to details that will make you smile
- Steam cards and achievements

This $2.69 will be the best $2.69 you've ever spent. :D

Edit: Added link to Steam.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:21:52 am by kcwong »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One Way Heorics
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 09:13:05 am »

Now, after the first post, here's my real intention of starting this thread: discussing about it.

Spoiler: About the ending (click to show/hide)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 09:28:27 am »

Um, well... it's excellent fun! :D
Is there a way to share stats etc. with friends through Steam? I think that could be fun.
I've only managed to beat it once so far, and that was in some weird campaign mode. Still trying to do so normally.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 10:20:39 am »

If you don't need to have it on Steam it's only $2 on Playism. http://playism-games.com/games/onewayheroics/
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 10:56:46 am »

I quite like the little details here and there. Like when you've beat the game, the sprite you used will be added to the title screen, so you can watch him/her walking.

I will fill the title screen with heroes! ;)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 11:01:24 am »

Spoiler: About the ending (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: nitpick (click to show/hide)

I beat the game the normal way, but haven't done the extra endings yet. I did watch someone do so, however, and you're not that far off.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 11:09:23 am »

I thought this was a sidescroller when I first happened to glance at it... so just ignored it.

Sounds interesting when you put it that way.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 01:15:30 pm »

Its a fun little game. Completed it on first try but I did find a seal and holy vault so was pretty easy, quite lucky with a bunch of items as well like vial of acid, vial of fire and tangling root, didn't realise how lucky I was till another adventurer who only could find stamina herbs, like only....

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 01:17:15 pm »

So first game I went directly into the darkness and died before leaving the starting building :V.

Next game I made it to the DL and got killed. Realized right after I died that didn't use any skills during the entire battle and had 4 awakenings remaining.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 02:13:41 pm »

I looked up the game, it looks like it'd be worth a shot at the price it's at, although the negative reviews (there was 5-6 negative reviews out of about 230 or so) all say that the game crashes a lot, does anyone get that problem here?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 04:08:49 pm »

PlumpHelmet has a lets play of it, its seems cool but a little bit easy for what iv seen.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 04:12:12 pm »

The only issue that causes crashes that I've seen is having the online component enabled. I had several crashes, so I disabled it. Not one crash since, and you lose out on nothing.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 04:15:11 pm »

I looked up the game, it looks like it'd be worth a shot at the price it's at, although the negative reviews (there was 5-6 negative reviews out of about 230 or so) all say that the game crashes a lot, does anyone get that problem here?

I've put in a little over 8 hours personally and my friends have put in about 25 hours between them, and only crash any of us have seen was after my buddy got drunk and played the game for 6 hours straight.

My understanding is that if you do experience crashes, turning off the online setting will fix them completely.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 05:00:24 pm »

I had a crash when I alt-tabbed when the credits were rolling. Goodbye overpowered lance, your slaying two dragons at a time in heaven now :'(

And I lost my last overpowered weapon through over-use because I forgot to use a scroll of repair. Curses.....

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 05:21:54 pm »

Please fix the typo in the title, it's driving me batty :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13