Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Art learning thread: The lesson strikes back  (Read 6507 times)

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Art learning thread: Week 3 : Valuable values
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2014, 06:25:01 pm »

Well Jopax you did give us a lot of work.

If you want to see what I've been working on here it is.
Spoiler: Old Masters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Thumbnails (click to show/hide)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2014, 04:45:48 am »

That doesn't mean you shouldn't report on your progress every now and then :P

Anyways, the first two are damn good, a clear example of how values can make a piece interesting, especially when used properly. The third one I have no idea as to what it's supposed to be :S

The thumbnails are also good for the most part, there's a few where you stick to the three values too much, making everything seem flat. Do some transitions between them to give a sense of space because the value changes sharply only because of light, atmospheric perspective gives a more gradual change of value which gives us the illusion of depth.

In any case, keep on doing these, I should have some studies up tonight hopefully (and I hope some of you guys will post more stuff too).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2014, 04:01:44 pm »

Haha... heh... I forgot this existed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tried my hand at doing some of them this afternoon. (GAH! 4 colors are too few for those clouds!)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2014, 07:13:27 pm »

That doesn't mean you shouldn't report on your progress every now and then :P

Progress report: Today I finally battered down part of that mental block against "this hard thing that clearly has absolutely no impact on my ability to draw cute kobolds and that I really don't want to do anyway. It's hard and I'm not good enough and so it can't possibly be important."

Spoiler: Part 1 of thumbnails (click to show/hide)
Of course I only now notice just how badly I messed up the light on the lower stalac-thingies, but at least they're not as bad as that forest.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 08:50:31 pm by Nirur Torir »

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2014, 11:32:16 pm »

Due do a virus wiping my main computer's hard drive, I'm backing out of this challenge until I can get a new OS set up on it.

[edit: Turns out my computer wasn't as dead as I though it was]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:00:35 pm by somebody »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2014, 04:39:28 pm »

And the rest of my thumbnails.

Spoiler: Part 2 of thumbnails (click to show/hide)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2014, 03:28:28 pm »

Small update, haven't forgotten about this, just been rather busy and/or tired. Which will continue to happen for the next two weeks atleast, so untill then, this thing is on hold, feel free to post any work you've done but any further writeups and comments will come later.

AS - IG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2014, 10:24:17 am »

Bump because we're back in action, read the updated first post for extra details. First thing on the order of buisness is a master study, I think I'll be doing one of John Constable's paintings (taken from the MOMA free ebook Constable's England). After that I'll do a piece from imagination, based on said study, and with a short writeup of what was learned.

See you back here in a couple of hours!

Edit:

Ok, here's the study. The original is the top one:

Things that were noticed/learned/a pain in the ass:
-Colour is rather relative, most easily used with varying saturation. The original for example is pretty much all slightly different hues of yellowish green. Even the sky, but it's so desaturated that it looks cool compared to the ground so it appears correct and even blue at first. This is something I've learned before but it's always nice to see and try it out in practice. So desaturating a warm colour cools it off, and you can limit your pallette in this way without having the image look unrealistic. What you do need to get right in that case is the values, because those play a big role in making things appear as they should (so the sky can't be a darker value than the ground because it wouldn't look like the sky anymore, regardless of how accurate the colour is).
-Grass is still a bitch to paint properly, this might be because I only used a single brush for the whole thing but I think it's more with getting it looking grassy enough, as in, a bunch of grass toned noise, leaving the brain to chalk it up as grass and not something else.
-Painting zoomed out and with the lasso tool is a must for getting some of the transitions quickly, mostly the sharp changes between cost and sea and land and sky.

Piece based on the study coming soon.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:35:15 pm by Jopax »
AS - IG

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Art learning thread: The lesson strikes back
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2014, 01:55:50 pm »

Ohhhh nice thread I never  noticed before.

PTW.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2014, 02:29:07 pm »

So here's the piece based off of the study yesterday, sorry it's rather late, had a birthday party that had to be attended.

For the most part applying what I learned yesterday.
AS - IG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2014, 01:18:57 pm »

Second study, based off of the same guy. This one was more of the same tbh, seeing as the palette is limited to some blues/purples and a dash of green here and there to break it up a bit. Still manages to be a striking piece, mainly trough clever use of value. Having slight variations to create a sort of noise and then several hugely contrasting spots to draw interest and create a focal point of sorts.
AS - IG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2014, 04:47:40 am »

And a triple post, it appears none of you want the free stuff :S

Anyways, this time I did Thomas Moran, this was one of the more manageable pieces of his, stayed unzoomed again which means the details are lacking, but the overall mood seems to be correct.

Also figured out how he makes his clouds look so sexy, again using only a single hue, or in this case two for those nice reddish highlights and very very minor value variations, so most of the apparent colour variation isn't actually there, he simply desaturates and lightens the blue a bit, and it looks reddish when placed next to the more darker and meatier blues. Then to further push it he gives some highglights the orange/yellow/red so they look nice and warm.

As before, top one is original and bottom is mine.
AS - IG

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2014, 05:17:44 am »

I, for one, am happy to leech off of your efforts. :v

Might even have to get in on this at some point, although i'm unlikely to be anywhere near as diligent as you when it comes to personal improvement. I believe i've previously mentioned how my approach to learning art is slow and ungainly (basically keep doodling and find my own ways of doing things so i can develop my own entirely personal style), but i suppose it couldn't hurt to do a few dedicated practice things to speed it up by several orders of magnitude. Also, that thing about the lasso tool you mentioned seems like a really neat trick that i should employ, getting sharp borders to my painty stuff has always been a right pain. :I
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2014, 04:19:45 am »

In that case you'll be recieving a PM shortly :D

Also yeah, this is only somewhat recent, mostly because certain things happened and I want to do this more than ever before.

So with that in mind, here's something based off of yesterdays study:

Obviously not as super sexy as Morans piece, mostly because I think he has a much bigger range of values and much subtler changes between certain things. Still, not too shabby for an hour long piece, especially when compared to my older stuff.
AS - IG

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2014, 07:24:34 am »

I, for one, am happy to leech off of your efforts. :v
Can I also have some free stuffs? ._.
Net and RL have been rocky lately so I haven't been able to post as prolifically or freely like I did weeks before.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6